Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He’s already under contract and they’d still be paying almost two more seasons for Mclellan...

I’d hope by now that the organization has more of their thumb on the pulse of the fan base than they did when they named Mactavish GM. I really believe they thought that move would be popular with fans. Lowe looked very surprised at the press conference to find out it wasn’t. They knew enough to know the fans didn’t want Woodcroft around anymore to send him to Bakersfield. They’re probably smart to know not to do it.

Woodcroft might actually be the better coach.

Reactions: Oilhawks

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They shouldn't be making decisions to pander to the fans. They should be making decisions that give the team the best chance to win both short and long term.
Are you suggesting Woodcroft would be a good decision to coach this team? If you are, based on what exactly? He’s got what, ten games of head coaching experience and it’s in the minors. Last time they hired somebody so unqualified for an important position on the team it was Craig Mactavish. First thing he did was hire Dallas Eakins. How’d that work out? If they’re seriously thinking about doing something that stupid again then they should be listening to the fans.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well he is getting results with the Condors. I still think it's too early to call anything with him though. Give him some more time there to see if it's not an aberration.
It’s very early, that’s my issue. I think, for that reason, it would be a terrible hire until the end of next season at the very earliest. He may someday, make a good head coach in the NHL, who knows? That day isn’t today though.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Are you suggesting Woodcroft would be a good decision to coach this team? If you are, based on what exactly? He’s got what, ten games of head coaching experience and it’s in the minors. Last time they hired somebody so unqualified for an important position on the team it was Craig Mactavish. First thing he did was hire Dallas Eakins. How’d that work out? If they’re seriously thinking about doing something that stupid again then they should be listening to the fans.

No, I'd like to see Woodcroft put at least the full season together in Bakersfield before that option is even considered. And he might be a guy who's more suited to coaching in the minors and bringing along prospects anyway, who knows. They just moved him off the NHL bench. I want to see the organization making decisions that are good for the team. Not worry about whether or not the decisions "will make the fans unhappy", which was the reasoning you used to justify your position. He hasn't proven anything yet.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No, I'd like to see Woodcroft put at least the full season together in Bakersfield before that option is even considered. And he might be a guy who's more suited to coaching in the minors and bringing along prospects anyway, who knows. They just moved him off the NHL bench. I want to see the organization making decisions that are good for the team. Not worry about whether or not the decisions "will make the fans unhappy", which was the reasoning you used to justify your position. He hasn't proven anything yet.
We’re of the same mindset here. I’d like to see him get at least two years in Bakersfield before he’s even considered for anything else. I brought fan opinion into it on the basis of this move being made right now. That move would in no way be good for the team. It wouldn’t be a popular move and IMO, the backlash from fans would be justified.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
https://www.bardown.com/former-oile...-jesse-puljujarvi-s-demotion-to-ahl-1.1207967

Iiro Pakarinen blasts organization after JP demotion.

"There's nothing to say or talk about why you do not play."

"The head coach will never say any reason or cause. in general, the head coach or GM give very little of any messages. There is such a secret information. It is, in my opinion, quite incomprehensible, Pakarinen continues the process.

"At NHL it feels like the head coach is a great ego. Of course, the head coach is going to talk to some of the players about something else, but never really personally, about any jokes. There's never to say anything about it if it does not play. It remained the most irritating thing in the mind."

Reactions: Merten Kikkaratukka

The Queen of the Sea

Sep 21, 2017
Vårdö

It's a quite curious thing to see BarDown staff evolving the story.

Neither in the original article referred by them nor in my translation in the other thread was it mentioned that Pakarinen was talking about this stuff after Pulju got demoted. Actually I believe this interview with Pakarinen by MTV Uutiset was done without the knowledge that Pulju was sent down... And the article shares considerable similarity with my translation.

So I guess the angle "Pakarinen blasts the Oilers following Pulju's demotion" is just something stirred up to make the story more selling.

Nevertheless it's intersting to witness journalism in the making!

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
4 straight losses incoming. In between Vancouver and Arizona at around quarter season mark.

A change is badly needed.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
For everyone saying they're worried about paying McLellan they could hire Quenneville and make him head coach. Demote McLellan to a scout in Russia or something. If he wants to quit so be it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that it will take us losing to Montreal and getting demolished by Calgary for them to even contemplate a change.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think that it will take us losing to Montreal and getting demolished by Calgary for them to even contemplate a change.

Getting blown out by Calgary probably does it, especially if Talbot has an in game meltdown like Fasth did once upon a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad