Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I don’t like TMac but the fact is it’s hard to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Defence and goaltending are still highly questionable. Just not good enough and the team is capped out. Mistakes have been made. Hard to coach your way out of a piss poor roster.

McLellan never won a cup with much better teams than we are now. That should have been the writing on the wall enough imo.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
not that I disagree that Q is a better coach but he never won squat with great teams in St. Louis and Colorado before arriving in Chicago

so the "never won a Cup" argument is a poor one IMO
The “never won a Cup argument” may have been silly after he left San Jose but it has a lot of merit after watching him here closely for 3+ seasons. It’s easy to see why he never won with rosters that were good enough. He’s not a strong tactician. He doesn’t match lines and he doesn’t make in game adjustments. He got owned by Ron Wilson in the Anaheim series when he wouldn’t stand up for his team after the officials screwed his team on goaltender interference calls in two games. Other coaches will use the media to go after officials to try to win call in a seven game series. He stands there and does and says nothing. He goes with his original game plan and if it isn’t enough, then it’s over. Other coaches fight to try to get any advantage they can for their team. He doesn’t in any way whatsoever and that’s why he’s never won a cup. It’s a relevant angle when judging him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The “never won a Cup argument” may have been silly after he left San Jose but it has a lot of merit after watching him here closely for 3+ seasons. It’s easy to see why he never won with rosters that were good enough. He’s not a strong tactician. He doesn’t match lines and he doesn’t make in game adjustments. He got owned by Ron Wilson in the Anaheim series when he wouldn’t stand up for his team after the officials screwed his team on goaltender interference calls in two games. Other coaches will use the media to go after officials to try to win call in a seven game series. He stands there and does and says nothing. He goes with his original game plan and if it isn’t enough, then it’s over. Other coaches fight to try to get any advantage they can for their team. He doesn’t in any way whatsoever and that’s why he’s never won a cup. It’s a relevant angle when judging him.
I'm not saying Todd doesn't have his faults, he's way too stubborn in areas that are aggravating...

I'm just saying the same could have been said about Q at one time
he took stacked teams with Sakic and Blake and never got them over the hump and generally had underwhelming seasons...same in St.Louis

outstanding regular seasons with great rosters...disappointing playoffs

it wasn't until he got to Chicago where his finally shook that label

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not saying Todd doesn't have his faults, he's way too stubborn in areas that are aggravating...

I'm just saying the same could have been said about Q at one time
he took stacked teams with Sakic and Blake and never got them over the hump and generally had underwhelming seasons...same in St.Louis

outstanding regular seasons with great rosters...disappointing playoffs

it wasn't until he got to Chicago where his finally shook that label
I guess the point I’m trying to make was we didn’t see Quenneville enough in Colorado and St. Louis to know exactly what his coaching issues were there (from what I’ve read over the years though it sounds like anxiety and mental health issues may have been a problem. At least in St. Louis anyway.)

As Oiler fans, watching every game, we know exactly what Mclellan’s problems are. I think if there was going to be a “come to Jesus” moment for him in Edmonton it would have been after his assistants were fired last summer. I know it’s still early but you can judge for yourself if his approach looks any different now.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Pains me to say it but I'd be happy with giving GG a shot if they are opting to give him an interim position. For one thing, he wasn't the reason Calgary missed the playoffs IMO...

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Good coaches are able to adjust.

I’ve seen excellent coaches come in after the 1st period and say “ok, guys, this is what they are doing on their forecheck so we will change our breakout in this way....”
Then, “this is what their PK is doing, so we will attack them this way on the PP....”

For the Oilers, as fans, we all know their breakout is going to be a hard rim, forcing the winger to win a battle on the wall. Do they ever use the centre of the ice?
We all know what the PP setup will be. Same every game.

Im not seeing a coach with a lot of creativity, or ability/willingness to change and adapt to situations.

Reactions: Aerrol

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
We saw Gretzky meet with Katz in New York, he was on ice level in Winnipeg probably to hand Todd and/or Chia the pink slip, until they pulled a miraculous comeback in the 3rd period.
Looking at the schedule, they have a 3 day break after the Montreal game on Tuesday. Surely, if they lose that game make it 5 straight losses, that would be the most ideal time to make a change of this magnitude.

Opportunity knocks, and it has to be taken early in the season in order to have some hope of salvaging it. And it doesn't have to be Quenville, although that would be absolutely amazing. I honestly believe Alain Vigneault would be an excellent bench boss for this team in particular. He missed the playoffs once in the last 11 years, with both Vancouver and New York, and made it to the cup finals with both teams. He has a way with star players, and I think that would be perfect marriage with the superstars we have on this team.

Glen Gulutzan is a wild card to me, prior to the NHL he has had alot of success as a minor league coach, winning multiple division championships and being awarded as the league's best coach in 2008. But his NHL resume isn't impressive, head-coached 4 seasons split between Dallas and Calgary, and has only made the playoffs once, where they got swept in the first round. But I watched every game of that series and Calgary outplayed the Ducks by a wide margin in all 4 of those games, goaltending was a major issue, and he find's himself in a similar situation here regarding that

Other available coaches: Darryl Sutter, Dan Bylsma, Jack Capuano, Bob Hartley, Lindy Ruff, Michel Therrien, an Dave Tippet.

If McLellan actually got fired, it's almost certain he'll be picked up by another team sooner than later, and of course like almost every player that leaves Edmonton, he'll be very successful with his new team

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Just fire him. Wasn't good with prime Sharks, isn't good here.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't help but think McDavid's muted play as of late is somehow related to the coaching as well.

McLellan has tried to zap the offensive creativity of every guy on our team. I want a coach who will come in and ensure this team gets odd man breaks and makes creative offensive zone passing plays.

I think Q is that guy. Chicago has had some very creative offense over the years.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I can't help but think McDavid's muted play as of late is somehow related to the coaching as well.

McLellan has tried to zap the offensive creativity of every guy on our team. I want a coach who will come in and ensure this team gets odd man breaks and makes creative offensive zone passing plays.

I think Q is that guy. Chicago has had some very creative offense over the years.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
How about Messier as head coach?

We know he has McDavid on speed dial...

All joking aside, I have a feeling the Oilers could use more of a 'players' coach', as opposed to the cold, passionless McLellan approach.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
How about Messier as head coach?

We know he has McDavid on speed dial...

All joking aside, I have a feeling the Oilers could use more of a 'players' coach', as opposed to the cold, passionless McLellan approach.

I really do think this as well. A players coach would go to bat for his guys - ex: last night when that abomination of a charging penalty was called on Kassian would have been a perfect time to give the refs a what-for.

And has he even tried to rally the troops once with a timeout? Can anyone remember? This team gets scored on within 4 minutes of getting one themselves way too often.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Its related in the sense that even a Kentucky Derby winning horse is going to have troubles racing if he's run way too hard. How much weight can an org put on McD. I dunno, they keep asking how much more he can do in his allotment of minutes.

McLellan will run any player at his disposal into the ground if it means any chance of saving his bacon. he has his star players out in all situations, too many minutes, too much expectation, on PP, pk as well.

We're not even 20 games in and we're seeing players hit walls. Its no curiosity Mcd has the most energy and speed at the start of the games. he's trying to give it before the tank runs out every game.

There was a moment late in the game where Drai couldn't get to a puck to keep it in. Tried, but was done. McD got easier to handle as the games progress, and as the season has progressed. production rate is declining already.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah, this is really it. Just fire him already, we know how this song ends, lets fast-forward and get it over with.

I'll second that. I haven't seen anything in his coaching that makes me think he's capable of getting the most out of this team. I'm not interested in repeating his playoff failures in San Jose, and that's where this team is headed.

Sure he could have a better team but he does have some great pieces to work with. When things aren't clicking his line blendering doesn't help. When things are clicking his line blendering also doesn't help. The systems and special teams sure leave a lot to be desired. He's not good at helping the young players improve from what I can see.

What is he contributing coaching wise that's moving the needle positively?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'll second that. I haven't seen anything in his coaching that makes me think he's capable of getting the most out of this team. I'm not interested in repeating his playoff failures in San Jose, and that's where this team is headed.

Sure he could have a better team but he does have some great pieces to work with. When things aren't clicking his line blendering doesn't help. When things are clicking his line blendering also doesn't help. The systems and special teams sure leave a lot to be desired. He's not good at helping the young players improve from what I can see.

What is he contributing coaching wise that's moving the needle positively?
I definitely think coaching should shoulder a lot of the blame but... Look at this roster. It has three 3 good forwards (2 of whom are really good) and a pedestrian defense to go with average goaltending.

I don't think Scotty Bowman could do anything with Lucic or any of the other deadweight.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Ralph Krueger and Todd Nelson were the best things to happen to this team outside of McDavid the last decade. Both got D**** around with and one was fired over Skype. :laugh:

Reactions: fuswald

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ralph Krueger and Todd Nelson were the best things to happen to this team outside of McDavid the last decade. Both got D**** around with and one was fired over Skype. :laugh:
Meh to both of them to be honest.

Krueger had the benefit of preceeding Eakins. But he earned the moniker "Wreck-it Ralph" because everyone was convinced he was ruining Yakupov that season. Flat out wouldn't play him in the 3rd period if the team was up a goal or the game was tied and the team was pretty terrible at 5v5. They were lifted by some pretty strong special teams.

Took a couple seasons of Eakins before people started thinking that maybe Krueger wasn't so bad.

And Nelson, just like with Krueger, had the benefit of following Eakins. From the time he took over to the end of the season the Oilers were still the 4th worst team in the league and gave up the 2nd most goals.

Not that these guys are/were bad coaches. But they are both held in much higher regard because of who they came before and after.

All that being said I don't think McLellan has done an incredible job either.

Maybe it is time to make a change. Every coach, even the best ones, eventually wear out their welcome and a new voice is needed in the room. Maybe that time has come with McLellan.

He's 100% not close to the biggest problem with this organization though. That is without doubt Peter Chiarelli. Until he's gone this team will never go anywhere.

But in the meantime maybe a different coach can squeeze a little more out of this lemon of a team.

Reactions: harpoon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its related in the sense that even a Kentucky Derby winning horse is going to have troubles racing if he's run way too hard. How much weight can an org put on McD. I dunno, they keep asking how much more he can do in his allotment of minutes.

McLellan will run any player at his disposal into the ground if it means any chance of saving his bacon. he has his star players out in all situations, too many minutes, too much expectation, on PP, pk as well.

We're not even 20 games in and we're seeing players hit walls. Its no curiosity Mcd has the most energy and speed at the start of the games. he's trying to give it before the tank runs out every game.

There was a moment late in the game where Drai couldn't get to a puck to keep it in. Tried, but was done. McD got easier to handle as the games progress, and as the season has progressed. production rate is declining already.

Connor and Nuge are feeling it. He's got Nuge on the top line (not sure if that will be the case after last nights game), top PP and on the PK. Guys like Strome, Brodziak, etc. should be our staples on the PK night in and night out.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Imo sutter would be the perfect coach for this team. His defence first score second I think is what this team needs with its lack of scoring. Sure it would bring boring hockey to watch some nights but I’d rather be winning 2-1 opposed to losing 5-2

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Meh to both of them to be honest.

Krueger had the benefit of preceeding Eakins. But he earned the moniker "Wreck-it Ralph" because everyone was convinced he was ruining Yakupov that season. Flat out wouldn't play him in the 3rd period if the team was up a goal or the game was tied and the team was pretty terrible at 5v5. They were lifted by some pretty strong special teams.

Took a couple seasons of Eakins before people started thinking that maybe Krueger wasn't so bad.

And Nelson, just like with Krueger, had the benefit of following Eakins. From the time he took over to the end of the season the Oilers were still the 4th worst team in the league and gave up the 2nd most goals.

Not that these guys are/were bad coaches. But they are both held in much higher regard because of who they came before and after.

All that being said I don't think McLellan has done an incredible job either.

Maybe it is time to make a change. Every coach, even the best ones, eventually wear out their welcome and a new voice is needed in the room. Maybe that time has come with McLellan.

He's 100% not close to the biggest problem with this organization though. That is without doubt Peter Chiarelli. Until he's gone this team will never go anywhere.

But in the meantime maybe a different coach can squeeze a little more out of this lemon of a team.

Krueger was a very good coach & actually knew what he was doing regardless of who followed him. He got fired because of his defense first approach & our front office is stupid because that was exactly what we needed with the group we had. He made real noticeable defensive improvements during his short time here.

You're right about Nelson though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pains me to say it but I'd be happy with giving GG a shot if they are opting to give him an interim position. For one thing, he wasn't the reason Calgary missed the playoffs IMO...
I'd still prefer MacT back behind the bench over Gulutzan on an interim basis should the Oilers choose to move on from Todd. This is the the whole management's final shot IMO. If they miss, the whole brass should fall, which is why I'd prefer a guy who knows what's going on from top to bottom to step in. His coaching record isn't anything to scoff at either and he did it with significantly weaker rosters.

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad