Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Chiarelli knows his job is on the line. With coach Q out there TMac’s leash is short right now. This streak gets up to 5-6 I could see a move.

Reactions: nightfighter

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Team consistently does not show up on time and routinely is outworked. That is a coaching problem, no way around it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
To me it seems there is a huge power struggle between chia and Tmac IMO. They are not on the same page in any way. Almost like one is trying to prove a point and get the other one fired

Reactions: Studz

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I've never been on the fire TMac bandwagon, but enough is enough. This team has thrown away all the good work they did early in the season, and they look to be back to the listless, no spine, no fight team of last year. When this team falls behind by a goal my faith in them fighting back is basically nil. We like to shit on calgary for their horseshoe third period comebacks but at least they fight to the end.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
To me it seems there is a huge power struggle between chia and Tmac IMO. They are not on the same page in any way. Almost like one is trying to prove a point and get the other one fired

I think there is some truth to this. Chia kept Puljujarvi around for a long time. IMO wanting McLellan to actually try him in the top 6 for a reasonable amount of time. Instead McLellan treats Puljujarvi like crap and punishes him when the whole team sucks ass on most nights.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I think TMac didn't like them playing stronger, faster hockey. I think he is pushing this "defence first" system, but these aren't the players for that kind of system.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Why would Q come here? He'll have his choice of location and they'll all pay. Come to this roster? this mess? Certainly wouldn't jump at it right now.
They say he wants to go to a contender. Not a pretender. I can't see him coming here, not with all the BS with ownership and OBC. Thats the problem. Im all for punting TMac but who replaces. Not Gluzman please god.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
There is definitely pressure to win right now, both Chia and McLellan have admitted to that. I don't think there's any doubt that if this continues to spiral down the drain even as they move into their "softer" schedule, McLellan will be fired. The warning shot was already sent across TMac's bow with all his assistant coaches being replaced with new blood. If the results look unchanged and the only thing that wasn't replaced in the offseason was the head coach, well...

IMO it's going to come down how they respond over these next couple of games, especially the HNIC game against Calgary. If they lose both of those, I think McLellan's gone.

And if they miss the playoffs, Chiarelli's gone at season end.

Cue the next 'forensic audit'!

Reactions: MessierII

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That’s what it looked like last year too. Chiarelli would bring in players off the waiver wire or minor trades and Mclellan wouldn’t play them. That’s why I’m not convinced it was Chiarelli’s decision to bring him back.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Just think. Over the last 18 months or so, Nicholson couldve replaced Chia with Paul Fenton, and Tmac with either Barry Trotz or Gerard Gallant. But no, this is fine.

FML youre so right. I wanted Fenton bad as well him or Briesbois and neither are coming now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The next GM should get to pick the next coach. Chia has shown enough that he's failed in all his major moves here that he doesn't deserve the chance to pick the next coach. A new GM will always want their own guy most of the time.

I don't think Quennville would accept the job here either anyway. The roster is not good enough for him to have the type of success he would want.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well I mean look at Montreal that's playing better this year. Are they better because they changed the coach? Or are they better because the GM went out and delivered 3 good players in Domi, Tatar, and Kotkaniemi? All three are helping them.

Did Vancouver change their coach or are they reaping some benefits from actually hitting pay dirt with a no.5 overall pick in Petterson?

Funny how a coaching staff can suddenly look decent when the GM gives the coach a player or two (or three) that can play.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Chiarelli knows his job is on the line. With coach Q out there TMac’s leash is short right now. This streak gets up to 5-6 I could see a move.
The thing about Chiarelli he is likely done in the league as a GM similar to Milbury. Imagine being a fan of a team and hearing Chiarelli is hired as your GM after his job here. You'd riot.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's early still but maybe Woodcroft wasn't the problem and it was TMac all along.
I mean, sure it's the AHL but Woodcroft has the Oilers with mish mash of players, new system and all, with a winning percentage.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I would not hire Joel Quenneville, he appears totally burnt out. He needs a year off, if he even wants to coach anymore, he is sixty.
Disagree big time. This is the same mentality that landed us Mclellen over Babcock in the first place.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I just think he does not listen to anyone on his staff. With the news coming about pacman and how he wouldn't talk to players it makes sense. Todd thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and does not value any other opinions. We still have similar problems to last year. Defense look either amazing or terrible. PP and PK just look like a beer league team that goes out and tries to do special teams. Our PP option is to pass it to McDavid and hope it works. I think he should have not made it to this season but seems like he has lost the room

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if Chia is already in talks with coach Q. Probably doesn't want to drop Todd until he has the replacement lined up...unless the alternative is Gulutzan which...if Viverios and Yawney are allowed to do their special teams jobs...could be fine

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I wonder if Chia is already in talks with coach Q. Probably doesn't want to drop Todd until he has the replacement lined up...unless the alternative is Gulutzan which...if Viverios and Yawney are allowed to do their special teams jobs...could be fine

Anyone but Tmac is fine. Hell, I'll even take a promoted Woodcroft and I wanted him fired to the sun last year.

[still a possibility this year I think but that is TBD]

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly feel like if it doesn't happen today, they're going to wait the entire season out.

This is the chance to turn it Around before playoffs are out of reach, if they don't act now they may as well not act at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad