Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
For sure, in this case and with the hope for trades, we're in a paralyzed spot right now. We have to make due with what we have, and imo what we have is pretty good. Considering that our problems are not all coaching related, I'd also say that maybe Quenneville wouldn't do any better.

The time to ditch a coach is while your team is doing bad, and failing that, early in the offseason.
Like it or not, Mclellan has saved his job for now. Like I’ve said countless times, I don’t think he’s a strong strategical coach. You’re not going to win a championship with him. He proved that with the Sharks and after watching him here for 3+ plus seasons we’ve seen why. Unless he’s failing as miserably as he did last year the team will keep him so they don’t have to pay him to sit at home. If that wasn’t the case he’d have been fired with his assistants last summer. As long as the team is playing over .500 and in contention for a playoff spot I’ll try to continue stomaching him until the end of next season. There’s no way I’d re sign him when his contract is up.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
McLellan got fired when he had peak burns Pavelski couture vlasic and Thornton.

Quenneville got fired with washed up Seabrook Crawford Toews Hossa. Only Kane is still a star.

Not the same situation

Reactions: Aerrol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Joel Quenneville is probably the upgrade Bob Nicholson was talking about last March. I think McLellan is safe for now but if this goes sideways quickly the heat is back on.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
The whole "well he's fired if we've lost 2 or 3 in a row, job is safe is he's won 2 or 3 in a row" is stupid.

Fire him. Hire Quennville, this is the coach we've been waiting for.
I agree, Quennville is a top 3 coach in the NHL and a perfect fit for our core.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
POHO: Keith Gretzky (mainly focuses on drafting)

GM: Mark Hunter

Head Coach: Joel Quennville

Lets a go.

Reactions: McDrai

North

Jun 25, 2009
Joel Quenneville is probably the upgrade Bob Nicholson was talking about last March. I think McLellan is safe for now but if this goes sideways quickly the heat is back on.

Why wait until it goes sideways? Lets be proactive and make the change now.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Q will probably want to hire his own staff. Boy is it awkward how we just hired a bunch of guys to try to make up for McLellan's bundle of shortcomings. Makes it that much harder to seriously go after Q.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don’t know who else he could have been talking about if he was serious. I just doubt he was serious. Seems most of his speeches are just damage control.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don’t know who else he could have been talking about if he was serious.

paul-coffey.jpg

*runs*

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid makes Tmac look 100x better than he is. There is no reason this team should live and die by 1 player. Obviously his systems aren't working for anyone not named McDavid. He's stubborn as hell, and shouldn't be off the hot seat because of a decent start to the year.

Crediting Tmac for those wins is an insult to McDavid and Koskinen.

The man still refuses to make any in game adjustments including time outs or line matching. His idea of fixing our pp that's been shit is spending one practice on it and leaving 4/5 people on it the same.

He also makes the most questionable developmental choices for our up and comers.

This organization is going to miss out on Q, realize halfway through the season that we should probably hire a good coach and not keep wasting McDavids years, and then get whatever leftover is available.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The whole "well he's fired if we've lost 2 or 3 in a row, job is safe is he's won 2 or 3 in a row" is stupid.

Fire him. Hire Quennville, this is the coach we've been waiting for.

Q is an upgrade and a guy that has actually won cups. If possible I would make the switch.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid makes Tmac look 100x better than he is. There is no reason this team should live and die by 1 player. Obviously his systems aren't working for anyone not named McDavid. He's stubborn as hell, and shouldn't be off the hot seat because of a decent start to the year.

The man still refuses to make any in game adjustments including time outs or line matching. His idea of fixing our pp that's been **** is spending one practice on it and leaving 4/5 people on it the same.

He also makes the most questionable developmental choices for our up and comers.

This organization is going to miss out on Q, realize halfway through the season that we should probably hire a good coach and not keep wasting McDavids years, and then get whatever leftover is available.

Unfortunately yes, that's probably what will happen. Team will get entranced by the the fools gold of a decent start and miss out on Quennville as a result and then be kicking themselves when they hire someone not as good as Quennville once they do eventually realize the Todd experiment is over.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I feel like Quenneville takes a couple month break to see what teams coaching positions break loose. A guy like that isn't going to just go to any team imo
I'm not sure how long he is going to sit it out, but not every team can afford to pay top dollar for a coach, his $5-$6M price tag could scare a few teams away, which could make finding the ideal fit take a bit longer.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Q is an upgrade and a guy that has actually won cups. If possible I would make the switch.
I remember when he was incessantly shit talked as a coach who couldn't win it all, despite having some pretty good squads. It looks like 13 was his lucky number cause that's how many seasons as head coach it took him to win his first one. McLellan is mid-way through his 11th season as head coach.

The man still refuses to make any in game adjustments including time outs or line matching. His idea of fixing our pp that's been **** is spending one practice on it and leaving 4/5 people on it the same.

What really makes coaches look better than they are is really good goaltending, it's what hides the mistakes and gets people Jack Adams nominations. Superstar forwards don't tend to save coaches jobs anywhere near as well as elite goaltending.
Q will probably want to hire his own staff. Boy is it awkward how we just hired a bunch of guys to try to make up for McLellan's bundle of shortcomings. Makes it that much harder to seriously go after Q.
Yeah it would make it akward, I think he might keep Yawney, might have some appreciation for the work he did in helping develop Chicago's D before he got there.

I'm not a big proponent for needing a coaching change right now, but it's hard to argue that Quenneville wouldn't be an upgrade. For the Pulju fans who think Quenneville would be better for him, I've never known Q to be particularly patient with raw forwards upfront.

Oct 15, 2008
I don’t like TMac but the fact is it’s hard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Defence and goaltending are still highly questionable. Just not good enough and the team is capped out. Mistakes have been made. Hard to coach your way out of a piss poor roster.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Said before will say it again Connor McDavid is saving the jobs of a lot of terrible hockey people at very level of the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad