Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Without McDavid on this team, we are shut out 3 games in a row. That isn't just coaching.

Perception is everything I suppose. I disagree and feel that I am seeing many of the exact same coaching errors that were responsible for last years performance. But I respect your opinion :)

Reactions: Gone and PulYou

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
When you trade a guy who scores 25 goals easily every season, and occasionally 30, for a guy who’s lucky to hit 15 goals a season, who is at the very least AS bad defensively, and perhaps even worse defensively then the guy he’s replacing, the end result isn’t all that shocking.

Reactions: Belieber

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When you trade a guy who scores 25 goals easily every season, and occasionally 30, for a guy who’s lucky to hit 15 goals a season, who is at the very least AS bad defensively, and perhaps even worse defensively then the guy he’s replacing, the end result isn’t all that shocking.

Yeah especially when that player along with Hall had career worst seasons under Todd.

Reactions: Gone

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah especially when that player along with Hall had career worst seasons under Todd.

Hall didn't have a career worst season under McLellan.

If you're going to trump platitudes, make sure they are accurate please.

Hall under McLellan had 65 points in 82 games and was a Hart candidate through the first ~40 games of that season. That was the only season he played under McLellan. Hall had a worse season the year before and the year after in fact.

Same BS with RNH for that matter. "Oh he had his worst season under McLellan" but he also just came off the best goal scoring season of his career, and best season offensively since his rookie year under Todd.

The only one of the three you can argue would be Eberle. But honestly that was as much an unlucky shooting percentage than anything else.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Doesn't matter who is coaching the team when our defense and wingers are AHL caliber.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Maybe a more telling question is, who on this team right now is offensively thriving. Last year as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hall didn't have a career worst season under McLellan.

If you're going to trump platitudes, make sure they are accurate please.

Hall under McLellan had 65 points in 82 games and was a Hart candidate through the first ~40 games of that season. That was the only season he played under McLellan. Hall had a worse season the year before and the year after in fact.

Same BS with RNH for that matter. "Oh he had his worst season under McLellan" but he also just came off the best goal scoring season of his career, and best season offensively since his rookie year under Todd.

The only one of the three you can argue would be Eberle. But honestly that was as much an unlucky shooting percentage than anything else.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Doesn't matter who is coaching the team when our defense and wingers are AHL caliber.

You're right, I guess I just forgot about how we traded away a Hart caliber guy in Hall that was the same layer when he was here to remember that he really wasn't all that great his last 2 seasons here minus the first half of his last season here.

That was his worst season but to Todd's credit he did challenge him to be better offensively that offseason, so that is 1 good thing that he did do.

He played like crap that year.

Especially when you as a coach is full of bull ****.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
McLellan needs to go, and he needed to go awhile ago.

Of course everyone blames Chia for the Hall, Eberle, and Reinhart trades, and rightfully so. However, what input did McLellan have in these trades? If McLellan loved Hall I would think he would let Chia know he is untradable. Watching McLellan the last couple of years and his lack of logic make me think he had a big part in the trade.

His handling of Puljujarvi has been so bad and far from the NHL norm it is freighting.

His 5 left shots and 5 right shots on the powerplay has the whole NHL wondering WTF.

His penalty kill is atrocious.

His line combinations are questionable.

If your only way to win as a coach is to put McDavid on the ice for 25 minutes a game, anyone can do that.

Since he has arrived, young players with promise have all faltered under his guidance or been traded unless your name is McDavid or Draisaitl. When he came I had high hopes for him and the players he could have saved.

McLellan seems to be an old school coach and it is his way or the hiway. I believe this is what happend to Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and we are seeing it now with Puljujarvi.

McLellan GTFO.

Last edited:

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
The last time we had a coach who players loved to play for was Ron Low, (Kruger was not bad either). The body languages on the players shows that they are not completely buying Todd's philosophy. As for GM, he has not robbed a trade yet. On other hand other GMs got him good.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This stuff is just so glaring.

Here's some numbers from the game against Boston from @ShutdownLine on Twitter:
DpaU1-MWsAADPqz.jpg

Don't worry. Your eyes are fine. It really does say that the Oilers dumped the puck in 42 times at 5v5 and recovered those dumps 7 times.

I wonder if this prehistoric dump and chase system with a one man high forecheck is the wrong system for an average skating and terrible forechecking team? Guess we'll keep trying it and find out.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

DpaU1-MWsAADPqz.jpg

Don't worry. Your eyes are fine. It really does say that the Oilers dumped the puck in 42 times at 5v5 and recovered those dumps 7 times.

I wonder if this prehistoric dump and chase system with a one man high forecheck is the wrong system for an average skating and terrible forechecking team? Guess we'll keep trying it and find out.

Wow. Am I reading it right that in contrast, we had 23 successful attempts at carrying the puck in? Does it not say how many attempts to carry there were? Either way...that's damning. Really damning.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

DpaU1-MWsAADPqz.jpg

If this isn't a clear systems issue I don't know what is. Our only real strength is our ability to carry the puck into the zone with the likes of McDavid, Drai, nurse, etc, but our go to is dump and chase with a single forward?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
If Oilers lose in Winnipeg, and then lose the home opener, I could see him being fired after the Nashville game on Saturday, win or lose. Just because there's a two day break in between before they play Pittsburgh, with the next multi-day break coming on Nov. 9/10. I just really don't want Gulutzan as head coach, but right now, we're so desperate for a new voice that he'll have to do for now. No matter what, there won't be any regret in moving on from Todd on my part, he's had his chances, and has failed thus far.

I used to argue with San Jose fans after he signed here, I really backed him and thought he would bring this team to consistent contender status. Now I see exactly why Sharks fans despise him. The first year he's out, they go to the Cup final, and that team is past it's prime. Imagine what they could've done in their prime, under a different coach. He inherited a super team, that was already a contender before he came, and rode the coattails of that train. Now he rides the coattails of Connor McDavid. He's out of date, stubborn, baffling and doesn't back his players. He'll punish young players after they make a single mistake (Puljujarvi,), juggle the lines way too often, and give a select number of players infinite chances that make mistakes on a daily basis (Letestu, Lucic, Benning). It's so backwards.

He's now full of excuses, as opposed to when he first got hired, he actually had alot of accountability for the team's failures. Every post game interview is now a broken record, "That's a good team we just played", "Our special teams needs work", "We woke up in the 3rd, but it's a little late", "We need scoring from our bottom 6", etc etc.

It's so bad, I question whether Dallas Eakins would have done a better job, having the best player in the world, the best player to come out of Germany, and Taylor Hall (he had his best year as an Oiler under Eakins). It's time for a new voice, please Mr.Katz, off with their heads!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I honestly think he's trying to get fired from this dumpster fire of an organization. This is where NHL careers go to die, might as well rip that Band-Aid off.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Remember when Stauffer bragged up Manny Viveiros as an incoming Power Play Wizard? Best PP in entire CHL. Remember how folks were saying “thank God its not Gulutzan. His Calgary PP was 28th!” We go all through camp and through the Devils game, then Bob drops the tidbit that Viveiros is NOT involved with the PP, but that TMac has Gulutzan coaching it. Good luck utilizing players and systems to best effect when your head coach cant even put his 3 assistants in the right spots.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Remember when Stauffer bragged up Manny Viveiros as an incoming Power Play Wizard? Best PP in entire CHL. Remember how folks were saying “thank God its not Gulutzan. His Calgary PP was 28th!” We go all through camp and through the Devils game, then Bob drops the tidbit that Viveiros is NOT involved with the PP, but that TMac has Gulutzan coaching it. Good luck utilizing players and systems to best effect when your head coach cant even put his 3 assistants in the right spots.

Honestly I would even be surprised if Gulutzan is running the PP at the moment. I think its all on TM to be honest. It just reminds me too much of last year's way of thinking for me to think that any of the new coaches influence it. Maybe because he wont let any of the other coaches have any say, they are just letting him run with it because if he keeps it up, he will be fired sooner or later.

Reactions: Aerrol

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Honestly I would even be surprised if Gulutzan is running the PP at the moment. I think its all on TM to be honest. It just reminds me too much of last year's way of thinking for me to think that any of the new coaches influence it. Maybe because he wont let any of the other coaches have any say, they are just letting him run with it because if he keeps it up, he will be fired sooner or later.
It's a new coaching staff around McLellan and yet it's still seems like it's just more of the same so far. Clearly McLellan has a huge say in special teams.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
From the outside looking in, Mclellan doesn’t appear to see Viveiros as part of the club and doesn’t respect him. Gulutzan is an NHL coach and Viveiros is a CHL coach. Maybe he wasn’t his hire. Pure speculation on my part but what other conclusion can you come to with a guy as stubborn and old school as him? No matter what rock you look under in this organization all you find is dysfunction.

North

Jun 25, 2009
From the outside looking in, Mclellan doesn’t appear to see Viveiros as part of the club and doesn’t respect him. Gulutzan is an NHL coach and Viveiros is a CHL coach. Maybe he wasn’t his hire. Pure speculation on my part but what other conclusion can you come to with a guy as stubborn and old school as him? No matter what rock you look under in this organization all you find is dysfunction.

It was reported at the time that McLellan got to pick all his assistants.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was reported at the time that McLellan got to pick all his assistants.
I don’t know if he did or didn’t. I also wouldn’t expect the organization to tell us if he didn’t. What I think is safe to assume is they ordered him to get rid of the old ones. This organization also has a history of picking assistants for their head coaches.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don’t know if he did or didn’t. I also wouldn’t expect the organization to tell us if he didn’t. What I think is safe to assume is they ordered him to get rid of the old ones. This organization also has a history of picking assistants for their head coaches.

They weren't happy with coaching last season but weren't going to fire McLellan so they told him to pick one of his assistants to can. He picked Johnson and then they sent Woodcroft to coach in the AHL. I think he wanted to keep both and felt forced to pick new ones and maybe he's a little pissy about that.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think hes lost the room. Time to move on from him before the season gets too far out of reach.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
I honestly think he's trying to get fired from this dumpster fire of an organization. This is where NHL careers go to die, might as well rip that Band-Aid off.
um no lol He is part of the dumpter and was horse crap as a coach in San Jose. He had a very talented top team and could not take them past the second round in San Jose. He is just a horrible coach and can't manage games or motivate players or show any emotion at all. Yes our organization is a complete joke but they are because of hiring horse crap coaches like him and a lousy GM

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think hes lost the room. Time to move on from him before the season gets too far out of reach.
He lost the room last year. We spent the last few months of the season talking about it and how we didn’t think there was any way back for him with the team. I posted many times it looked like he’d quit on the players just as much as they quit on him. I’ve never seen that happen with the coach surviving. For some reason the organization decided it was a good idea to absolve him and just blame the players for it. What a blunder, now Chiarelli and Nicholson need to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad