Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isignedupjustfothis

Jun 21, 2018
The thought that we the majority of fans wanted Barzal drafted and loved Hall, have to sit through another rebuild....I actually feel bad for Mcdavid to the point I want to mercifully trade him. Drasitl I want him to stay. He deserves it to suffer longer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
McLellan remings me of my father. He rather lose than admits he has made some mistakes.
Kind of explains a lot.

Not much to suggest this, from accounts around the team, the players had asked McLellan not to change the lines as much this year. It sort of took him changing things up to get some of the guys going and finding chemistry, if we're being honest.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Does Benning suit up tomorrow vs Boston? I don't see how, it would be unfathomable.

Reactions: ujju2

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I can't believe it took this long for Pulju to play with Drai. TMac's arrogance is unfathomable.

I mean it took three games, that's not that long really. And from the sounds of it, it was the players that wanted Pulju to play with Strome.

If he goes back to the original lines for the opener, then I'll be annoyed.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Kind of explains a lot.

Not much to suggest this, from accounts around the team, the players had asked McLellan not to change the lines as much this year. It sort of took him changing things up to get some of the guys going and finding chemistry, if we're being honest.

I do think theres some of that. The players (esp McDavid) did mention that he didnt want the coach changing the lines all the time.

At the same time, some things are just painfully obvious that they dont work. The second line never worked. I also find that even when TM gets the blender out, a lot of times the line combos dont even make sense. It would be one thing if he was getting the blender out and trying new things which had potential but a lot of times its incoherent.

The way he handles the goaltending also just gives me a headache.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I mean it took three games, that's not that long really. And from the sounds of it, it was the players that wanted Pulju to play with Strome.

If he goes back to the original lines for the opener, then I'll be annoyed.

Its not what Pulju wants though. I mean he was playing well last night but you could tell once he got move up, he had another gear. Most top 5 picks get some rope to play with, JP doesnt seem to get that very often.

Reactions: PulYou

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I do think theres some of that. The players (esp McDavid) did mention that he didnt want the coach changing the lines all the time.

At the same time, some things are just painfully obvious that they dont work. The second line never worked. I also find that even when TM gets the blender out, a lot of times the line combos dont even make sense. It would be one thing if he was getting the blender out and trying new things which had potential but a lot of times its incoherent.

The way he handles the goaltending also just gives me a headache.
Yeah he has flaws as coach, for sure, but lets not be stupid and suggest he wants to lose to prove a point.(not that you were)

I'll actually give him credit for handling the goalies well last night, because I would have put Koskinen in to start the 2nd, but sticking with Talbot was the right decision.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Does Benning suit up tomorrow vs Boston? I don't see how, it would be unfathomable.

Benning and Garrison were the weak link last night. We're really only running with 4 NHL calibre Dmen right now. (Bouchard will be there soon). Sekera will be a huge addition if he can come back and just play average. We really do need to make a trade for another Dman, even if it's just a proven bottom pairing guy to push Benning and Garrison out of the lineup.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Benning and Garrison were the weak link last night. We're really only running with 4 NHL calibre Dmen right now. (Bouchard will be there soon). Sekera will be a huge addition if he can come back and just play average. We really do need to make a trade for another Dman, even if it's just a proven bottom pairing guy to push Benning and Garrison out of the lineup.
Sekera's impact on the overall roster is highly underrated on this board.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Sekera's impact on the overall roster is highly underrated on this board.

I agree and I had high hopes for Sekera coming into the season. I really thought he would bounce back.

But after 2 major injuries and his age, I am not overly optimistic about him making any kind of an impact even when he comes back this year. I hope I am wrong.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree and I had high hopes for Sekera coming into the season. I really thought he would bounce back.

But after 2 major injuries and his age, I am not overly optimistic about him making any kind of an impact even when he comes back this year. I hope I am wrong.
Yeah I'm concerned about that long term as well for sure, but I was in the same boat, hoping he could come back, work his way in to the line up and back to that #3+ defenseman we've seen in the past.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'd leave the top line the same to start the next game. Leave Draisaitl with Rieder and JP. Strome can work with Lucic and Yamamoto. 4th line stays.

The Oilers will probably see Halak again.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd leave the top line the same to start the next game. Leave Draisaitl with Rieder and JP. Strome can work with Lucic and Yamamoto. 4th line stays.

Is Halak just outplaying Rask or just way the Schedule happens to be rolling?

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
How telling is it that Tmac likely wouldn`t have a job with the Oilers if it wasn`t for McDavids talents blurring how poorly this team is coached. If we remove McDavid from the team, how much more obvious would it be that Tmac is failing this team?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

I have no problem with Rieder on the 2nd but I think I'd still start Lucic there for next game..along with JP.

After being switched to the 3rd last night, he still didn't pout or miss a beat. He actually looked 'fast...which surprised me. He was responsible and professional.

He's had 4 good games to start and he isn't the weak link. I think he deserves to at least start on the 2nd and see how it goes. Can easily switch for Rieder if it's not working.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
How telling is it that Tmac likely wouldn`t have a job with the Oilers if it wasn`t for McDavids talents blurring how poorly this team is coached. If we remove McDavid from the team, how much more obvious would it be that Tmac is failing this team?

I mean it's obvious with McDavid on the team, so...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I have no problem with Rieder on the 2nd but I think I'd still start Lucic there for next game..along with JP.

After being switched to the 3rd last night, he still didn't pout or miss a beat. He actually looked 'fast...which surprised me. He was responsible and professional.

He's had 4 good games to start and he isn't the weak link. I think he deserves to at least start on the 2nd and see how it goes. Can easily switch for Rieder if it's not working.

You must be watching a completely different game, because Lucic looks like the Lucic of last year to me. The numbers back me up too. He needs to stay on the third line where hopefully he can make hay against lesser competition or at least not hurt the team because he has yet to contribute a damn thing 5v5.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You must be watching a completely different game, because Lucic looks like the Lucic of last year to me. The numbers back me up too. He needs to stay on the third line where hopefully he can make hay against lesser competition or at least not hurt the team because he has yet to contribute a damn thing 5v5.
Your the only guy I’ve seen say that. Lucic has been one of the better forwards in every game so far.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I, for one, have no problems criticizing any player that isn`t playing well.

I see Lucic playing to his strengths and I don`t believe we can ask for anything more.

He`s defensively responsible, has the most hits on the team per game and is making a strong effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad