Not open for further replies.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
My list of proven replacements who might be able to fix our season:
Alain Vignault
Dave Tippett
Darryl Sutter
Michel Therrien
Wow thats a turd of a list. Those guys were run out of town because they cant do jack all with young players and are stuck on their favorites. Sutter with the possible exception. Tippet is scum.

Reactions: oobga

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm guessing he's saying McLellan is a better option than Sutter because Sutter only knows defense and this team should be offense.

Maybe?...

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I'm guessing he's saying McLellan is a better option than Sutter because Sutter only knows defense and this team should be offense.

Maybe?...
I don't really know what Mclellan's expertise is at this point. Hes clearly running the special teams and horrible at it. Hes running the offense and they throw the puck away around the boards constantly. What exactly is it that he does well?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
That makes little to no sense at all. Probably got some snow from Katz. Which leads me to a conspiracy that the "ICE District" is just a massive front for a cocaine empire. Great branding.

On further thought, meth might have been a better tie in on my part.

Reactions: Del Preston

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
In Todd's pregame interview, he mentioned how he gets hounded about his lineup combos, even from his own father and brother. lol.

Sounds like he's stubborn enough that he will go down with the ship instead of swallow his pride and admit his shit isn't working and fix it before he runs out of time. :help:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
In Todd's pregame interview, he mentioned how he gets hounded about his lineup combos, even from his own father and brother. lol.

Sounds like he's stubborn enough that he will go down with the ship instead of swallow his pride and admit his **** isn't working and fix it before he runs out of time. :help:

Dude is overthinking himself.

Can someone please install this in the coach's office, directly across from TMac's desk?

DeCDqKgXcAEGf_7.jpg

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Sounds like he's stubborn enough that he will go down with the ship instead of swallow his pride and admit his **** isn't working and fix it before he runs out of time. :help:

Maybe we should replace him with his father or brother, sounds like it'd be a step forward anyway.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Players don’t buy his system. If we score it has been individual effort and despite of the team system. Other lines don’t score because they don’t have talent to pull rabbits from the hat like Connor does. They need system and coach doesn’t have even single working system for modern NHL.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I find that on top of all of McLellan's other deficiencies that posters have rightfully been pointing out for some time now is his inability to create any kind of atmosphere of fun.

I know that winning creates fun, but with Todd, as it was with Eakins, it is just so incredibly grim all the time. It has gotten to the point where I can't even watch any more. The fun is gone for me too. lol...

That seems to be where a lot of other people are these days too? You see the closeups on the bench and Todd's grim gum-smacking face and you (I) get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

After all hockey is a game. There has to be some promise of fun. When the fun is sucked right out of the picture, so seems to go the confidence and the motivation too.

The thrill is gone/the fun is gone.

Todd needs to go for it to come back.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I know many writers may understandably think that other leagues are much inferior when it comes to the level of coaching, but let me tell an example from the FEL, which is actually pretty good when it comes to the level of coaching.

Kärpät, my FEL team is one of the biggest teams in Finland. Two years ago they had a terrible season so they ended up changing the coach (the assistant one who's also in the national team getting in charge). The new coach made the team play hockey that was considered innovative. The team played very offensive game and they even called it spotless hockey, as the defenders supported attack in a way that hasn't been seen in the FEL earlier. Of course they had some variation, especially in the playoffs, but that playing style was the sensation of the year in the FEL.

The coach is also known for allowing the players to make mistakes and learn from them. He's even said this publicly. In his team several players have made the best points in their career and guess which team won the championship and is leading the league at the moment?

While I know we're talking about a whole different league I believe the current winning hockey is more about fast, skilled defenders and a fast offensive game, where distances are short and where there's a lot of active pressure. Times are changing and the old school coaches may have trouble adjusting to it. The advantages they used to have in knowledge are pretty much gone so they can't afford being stubborn with the old ways if they clearly don't work.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Players don’t buy his system. If we score it has been individual effort and despite of the team system. Other lines don’t score because they don’t have talent to pull rabbits from the hat like Connor does. They need system and coach doesn’t have even single working system for modern NHL.
We score all our goals on the rush. Nothing so far from a cycle or sustained pressure. Yet Mclellan wants this team to play a dump and chase game. How does that make sense? It’s like hes so stuck inside his own head that he’s unable to watch the games he’s coaching.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I know many writers may understandably think that other leagues are much inferior when it comes to the level of coaching, but let me tell an example from the FEL, which is actually pretty good when it comes to the level of coaching.

Kärpät, my FEL team is one of the biggest teams in Finland. Two years ago they had a terrible season so they ended up changing the coach (the assistant one who's also in the national team getting in charge). The new coach made the team play hockey that was considered innovative. The team played very offensive game and they even called it spotless hockey, as the defenders supported attack in a way that hasn't been seen in the FEL earlier. Of course they had some variation, especially in the playoffs, but that playing style was the sensation of the year in the FEL.

The coach is also known for allowing the players to make mistakes and learn from them. He's even said this publicly. In his team several players have made the best points in their career and guess which team won the championship and is leading the league at the moment?

While I know we're talking about a whole different league I believe the current winning hockey is more about fast, skilled defenders and a fast offensive game, where distances are short and where there's a lot of active pressure. Times are changing and the old school coaches may have trouble adjusting to it. The advantages they used to have in knowledge are pretty much gone so they can't afford being stubborn with the old ways if they clearly don't work.
There are a TON of good coaches outside of the NHL who will never get a chance because they didn’t play the game at a high level or aren’t properly connected. It’s a very myopic view to assume that just because the NHL has the top players that all 31 coaches are the best and most qualified in the world.

The best and most obvious example to that is Clare Drake. I don’t need to expand on all he did for the game but basically the modern game is reflective of his innovations. He barely got a sniff in the NHL and was quickly dismissed as a “college coach”.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He's done. The players don't want to play for him anymore and it shows. The worst part is who are they replacing him with? Gulutzan? A guy McLellan hand picked.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I'd like to give credit when one deserves it, but I didn't see anything that would change how I feel about Todd today. I guess the team fought pretty well, but in the NHL that should be the obvious starting point.

If Talbot plays like today the team has a chance to collect a reasonable amount of points, but some day those posts will go in. I don't know if I should say this, but the Rangers simply looked better as a team, but on the positive note that leaves room for improvement. I'd be worried if I didn't see anything to work on, I just don't think Todd will be the one to get that done.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Winnipeg is next....in Winnipeg, the celebration of squeeking by what could be the NHLs worst team this season will be short lived.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
There was so much talk previous to the game against the NY Rangers the Tmac is already being put under the microscope. This seems to have quieted since the win over the Rangers, however I felt that win was lucky, unspectacular and unconvincing. I feel this teams warts(more coaching warts) will continue to be shown and that it is only a matter of time unless things magically shift.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
scratching Benning and bringing Brodz back have helped Tmac's case..
he needs to get Yama out of top 6 still

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
scratching Benning and bringing Brodz back have helped Tmac's case..
he needs to get Yama out of top 6 still

The team still looked largely unimpressive against one of the weaker teams in the league, I don't think the Tmac has much time left and the upcoming games will reaffirm his deficiencies as a coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad