Confirmed with Link: Todd McLellan: Fired (Thanks for the Playoff memories)

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
At least you didn't phrase it as "Convince me, that he should he still be head coach?"
"Convince me" was a trend for a while on these boards...lol

I'd give him till the 20 game mark. If you don't win the next two out of three. Goodbye.... Then five game increments... Very...very short leash..

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Reasons to keep Tmac:
- He was given an incomplete roster. No Puck Moving D-Man, AHL Plugs like Benning who have to pretend to be NHL players. Boat anchors like Lucic who he's forced to play, cause you aren't sinking the values of your GMs most prominent free agent signings.
- I don't think Effort/Not Being Ready is the issue. I'm tired of the excuse. Good teams in the NHL aren't going 100% at all times. Look at the difference between Regular Season and Playoff Games and its apparent that teams are going about 80% speed in the Regular season for the most part. It's a talent issue. Talented teams win games at 80% or even less. Teams without talent need to play 100% all the time to make up for it, which isn't realistic, which leads to injury, which means fatigue like in the Washington/Tampa roadtrip WILL happen, which means automatic losses.
- His post game presser comments are at least on point for the most part. He knows why his team sucks.
- His usage of McDavid to ensure McDavid is in position to take the Art Ross leads to a happy McDavid in Edmonton. There's no guarantees another coach works for McDavids' production as well as Tmac usage/over usage of him.

Reasons to get rid of Tmac:
- McBlendering is his only in game adjustment and it's not a good one. How are we ever supposed to develop chemistry in lines or have our players confident with constant shifting of the lines.
- Too much emphasis on so called "accountability". The only player evaluation tool used is game to game performance. Play bad, you get demoted. Play good, you get promoted. Okay so how is this bad? Well a 4th liner plays good and you reward him with top 6 minutes. Well cool, he "deserves" it, but when Connor passes to that 4th line to snipe that puck in, the skill isn't there. No matter how much "effort" happened in the game prior to earn that promotion, a 4th liner still has 4th line skills. The fix? Evaluate and know your players' strengths and weaknesses and just play them where they belong. They have a bad showing? Well that happens when the entire team is getting dominated. Need to give talent more leeway and confidence in doing what you think they can do.
- I don't think he gets players focused on the right things. Like we watch games where the players can't even make passes, but we hear about practices where they work on net front presence. Well how bout we get the basics down, because for years this team can't make simple passes.

Reactions: McBeastMode

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Seriously. He's still so much stronger than a good portion of the NHL, no one would be able to move him and he's capable of outmuscling almost anyone for rebounds.
He should literally watch hours of Smyth, Holmstrom and Ciccarelli highlights. If he is to have a place scoring goals in this league that is how he has to play. That and we need point shots to create deflections and rebounds.
Agreed on both. I was at the Washington game and was astounded to see Chiasson screening Holtby, whereas any time Lucic was on the PP he was always slightly off to the side. It's maddening that he thinks he can create offense elsewhere when screening a goalie is far more useful for his skillset.

Reactions: McBeastMode

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Agreed on both. I was at the Washington game and was astounded to see Chiasson screening Holtby, whereas any time Lucic was on the PP he was always slightly off to the side. It's maddening that he thinks he can create offense elsewhere when screening a goalie is far more useful for his skillset.

He's got to be one of the wider bodied NHLers so that means he should be able to make it harder than most to see around. That's not a cut on him, he's just a big man.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's got to be one of the wider bodied NHLers so that means he should be able to make it harder than most to see around. That's not a cut on him, he's just a big man.
Absolutely. He makes the perfect screen and I just can't even grasp how he doesn't park himself right in front ala Smyth.

I also refuse to believe that the coaches don't tell him to screen the goalie.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Absolutely. He makes the perfect screen and I just can't even grasp how he doesn't park himself right in front ala Smyth.

You'd think that at least one of them would tell him to do that.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

This is what I find so odd about this team. They do things that no coach would tell them to do, but they all do the same things, so it can't not be what they are being told to do. I try to teach my wife the game during Oilers games, but I find myself saying "don't do whatever they're doing, I don't get it..."

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Seriously. He's still so much stronger than a good portion of the NHL, no one would be able to move him and he's capable of outmuscling almost anyone for rebounds.
He is very hard to move. In fact, he can barely move himself up the ice. This isn't sumo on skates. He hasn't been able to convert his positive attributes into positive production.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I liked the Chiarelli signing because I thought "finally no OBC!"... boy was I bamboozled.

Same here!

Enough's enough, sports is a results oriented business, they're about to miss the playoffs for the 3rd time in four years with Connor McDavid on the roster.

Fire everybody. Put K. Gretzky as interim GM and Gulutzan as interim coach. Keep all the draft picks. Keep all the young prospects in Bakersfield.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think if we canned Todd Mcllean it would be Gulutzen who would take over. And as much as I find stick throwing profanity laced tirades in practice entertaining.... I don't want that guy as our head coach.

As of this moment, I prefer Mcllean over most alternatives not named Quennville.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
While I've wanted Todd gone since about November 2016, I think firing him now might be the wrong time.

The team is just a few games past posting a good record against a nightmare schedule, there are no obvious replacements, and I'm not sure Gulutzan (who would almost certainly be his replacement) wouldn't actually be worse.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Chia has gutted his roster, left him AHlers for depth, and tried to force struggling young players on to the team. On top of yet not having a offensive defenseman in his entire tenure here.

My gripe with Mclellan is him always going back to the same old, like putting Drai and Mcdavid together. But what’s he to do? He’s not given to tools to work with any competent depth. All the depth he had 2 and 3 years ago has been traded off for nothing

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe we should ask the Oilers brass, or Katz? Why is he still HC, shouldn't he be done after this losing streak? He was already on notice... :laugh:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Chia has gutted his roster, left him AHlers for depth, and tried to force struggling young players on to the team. On top of yet not having a offensive defenseman in his entire tenure here.

My gripe with Mclellan is him always going back to the same old, like putting Drai and Mcdavid together. But what’s he to do? He’s not given to tools to work with any competent depth. All the depth he had 2 and 3 years ago has been traded off for nothing

This is the same coach that couldn't take what was arguably the best team in the league to the Stanley Cup Finals, once. You give that stacked Sharks team to a competent coach (see Deboer, Pete) and they made it on their last kick at the cat. Unfortunately for them they were too washed up to win it all after wasting years under McLellan.

The depth of this team is not good, but other coaches with arguably the same (or worse) are getting and got more out of their teams since the last season. You could undo ALL (or any) of the trades, signings etc that were done by Chia (who sucks but is not alone to blame for this mess), and have Hall, Demers (assuming we signed him), Eberle, etc etc and this coach would not get that roster any further than this.

We crushed a tired and washed up Sharks roster (a year after they got owned by the Penguins in the finals) in spite of his coaching, and he got clowned by Carlyle in the next round when the series was on a platter for us. Terrible coach that rode the coat tails of Babcock (while his assistant) and should never coach another game in this league.

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Brilliant coach swapping RNH for Drai when Drai has been pretty brutal the last handful of games especially with his compete level. The guy was getting knocked off the puck by ****ing Girard last game added onto his giveaways galore and he gets a promotion out of it.

Funny how you disappear when he does well only to reappear after one bad game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

Bull, I know you're trying to blame Chiarelli, but all you're doing is blaming the players. There roster isn't great, but TMac gets nothing out of what he has.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If that's how Katz and Nicholson think then they deserve the failure they get. A new GM should be allowed to pick the coach they want so now you're creating a situation where maybe you have to fire the GM soon too but the new GM doesn't like the new coach.

It's an ass backwards way of doing things.
These mistakes were made last summer when all the new assistant coaches were hired. That’s when the new head coach should have been hired too. Now you’re going to have a new head coach wanting his own assistants too. This organization takes being f***ed up to a whole new level. The new GM should pick his new head coach, that however shouldn’t stop the team from firing Mclellan now and replacing him with an interim head coach. We’ve got two on the staff with head coaching experience. One of them can get the team through this season until the rest of the mess can be sorted out. Mclellan hasn’t shown he’s any type of solution to this teams problems. He needs to go now, not whenever Chiarelli’s fate is decided.

Reactions: Del Preston

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Can it really get worse? Unless MacT convinces Chia or Katz that Eakins is the best fit for the job I don't see how anyone would be a downgrade.

MacT, Melrose, milbury, Burnett, trottier, Kingston, horacek, yawney, and Ted freaking Nolan would all be potential down grades (coaches who have coached in he last 20 years or so). There are down grades out there.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Can it really get worse? Unless MacT convinces Chia or Katz that Eakins is the best fit for the job I don't see how anyone would be a downgrade.

You should know better then to ask if it can get any worse as an Oilers fan because the the Oilers are 100% efficient at finding ways to make it worse. They could fire Todd in the morning and turn around announcing that Doug Weight is the HC.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
These mistakes were made last summer when all the new assistant coaches were hired. That’s when the new head coach should have been hired too. Now you’re going to have a new head coach wanting his own assistants too. This organization takes being ****ed up to a whole new level. The new GM should pick his new head coach, that however shouldn’t stop the team from firing Mclellan now and replacing him with an interim head coach. We’ve got two on the staff with head coaching experience. One of them can get the team through this season until the rest of the mess can be sorted out. Mclellan hasn’t shown he’s any type of solution to this teams problems. He needs to go now, not whenever Chiarelli’s fate is decided.

Yeah it's a bizarre situation, now if you hire a new coach, he's going to want his own assistants, so the new assistants you just hired have to go too.

And when inevitably you realize the team still sucks because the GM sucks and you hire a new GM ... guess what?

That new GM likely will want to hire his own coaching staff.

And now you probably have a pissed off Katz who's paying three different coaching staffs.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He doesnt deserve to have a job in my opinion.

I dont know if i trust the GM/organization to find the right coach for this team.

I assume that Gultuzan will be the interim, and I am not sure he will be much better tbh.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Reasons:

He has lots of suits
He's from Saskatchewan
He looks coachy
He has lots of suits
He just bought a new sharpie

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
While I've wanted Todd gone since about November 2016, I think firing him now might be the wrong time.

The team is just a few games past posting a good record against a nightmare schedule, there are no obvious replacements, and I'm not sure Gulutzan (who would almost certainly be his replacement) wouldn't actually be worse.

Quenville. Quenville is an obvious replacement.

I'd contact him and if he says no then yeah, I'd leave it for now, but if he says yes I'm making the change yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad