Confirmed with Link: Todd McLellan: Fired (Thanks for the Playoff memories)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He shouldn't be. Guy is nothing special. 4th year with the team and he really hasn't got any useful message across. Still no idea what to do with what he has on special teams. Guy is pretty useless right now. I see he's just going back to saying the issue is only individual mistakes, so players need to play more scared of make mistakes. We did that last year, and things only get worse the more tentative the players play. Viveiros is probably the guy now making all the players custom videos of their mistakes, taking over from Woodcroft.

At the very least he needs to do go so Chia uses up his get out of jail free card of 1 coaching change before all targets are on him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So here's a question for you. Let's say that Nicholson and Katz feel that McLellan is the issue and that Chia has done an ok job to date (not trying to argue that Chia is great) would it be worthwhile to axe the coach so that Chia no longer has anywhere else to point the finger? One of the reasons that I wanted Todd gone before this season was to see what the team could do under new guidance to see if they could get this team back to '16-17 levels or if Chia should be gone ASAP and remove all doubt. The longer that the coach stays, the longer that Chia stays by proxy. Unless Katz wants both the coach and GM out, get rid of Todd and get the clock started on Chia right now.
I'd go the opposite route and fire the GM and let the new one determine if Todd is worthy or not. Of course who you replace Chiarelli with is a different topic entirely...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So here's a question for you. Let's say that Nicholson and Katz feel that McLellan is the issue and that Chia has done an ok job to date (not trying to argue that Chia is great) would it be worthwhile to axe the coach so that Chia no longer has anywhere else to point the finger? One of the reasons that I wanted Todd gone before this season was to see what the team could do under new guidance to see if they could get this team back to '16-17 levels or if Chia should be gone ASAP and remove all doubt. The longer that the coach stays, the longer that Chia stays by proxy. Unless Katz wants both the coach and GM out, get rid of Todd and get the clock started on Chia right now.

If that's how Katz and Nicholson think then they deserve the failure they get. A new GM should be allowed to pick the coach they want so now you're creating a situation where maybe you have to fire the GM soon too but the new GM doesn't like the new coach.

It's an ass backwards way of doing things.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I actually would not be too amazed if the team did pretty well or even great with another head coach. For sure the roster isn't as good as it can be, but I honestly can't find any strengths for TM no matter how hard I try to think. In fact pretty much all of the areas look like weaknesses, and fixing some or rather most of them should strengthen the team a lot.

If Koskinen will be as good as I hope and actually believe a good coach should be able to make this at least a playoff team and possibly more. For sure he'd need to be creative and maximize the way he uses the pieces he's got, but it's not an impossible puzzle to put together.

The main thing would be to have a coach who does all he can and a bit more to work on not just the big issues but also every little detail. That's where you need to and probably can make a difference compared to some other teams.

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He’s not wrong in this case though.
They shouldn't replace the coach from outside the organization because the transition is too substantial. We also have an assistant coaching staff that is literally weeks old. I have no problem with the Oilers jettisoning the HC, but his interim replacement should be hired from inside the organization.

But the GM spiel is so tired. Using Montreal and Vancouver--two markets with low expectations seeing a hot start--as examples as to why you don't fire the coach? You realize both of those teams will taper off in the coming weeks, right?

McLellan entered this season on an incredibly short leash. The things that forced him to relieve his assistants of their positions last season are still glaring issues. Teams with worse personnel see better results. His player usage is baffling at times and some of them show an obvious rift between him and the management.

Firing the coach allows the team to take control of what they've built. It's currently their personnel and their assistants. If they can right the ship considering they currently are in the mix, they reassess at the end of the season. If the team nosedives, everybody gets purged in the summer.

Last edited:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I don't have any qualms over his roster decisions, lines, in-game adjustments, etc. Nor believe Chai has given him the players to succeed.

Just BSing, but the players don't seem to know how to do what he is asking at the current speed of the game. There is no time to think, puck movement is just so fast. All about prep and automatically thinking. So some people see lazy, but sometimes it looks lazy when a person doesn't know WTF he is doing. The only option is to find new people to do the instructing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd go the opposite route and fire the GM and let the new one determine if Todd is worthy or not. Of course who you replace Chiarelli with is a different topic entirely...

Well for one thing if we hire a new GM there will be more candidates available at seasons end when a number of coaches get canned so unless they are a big coach Q fan or fan of a coach in the AHL chances are that they wouldn't be getting their guy anyway. Hypothetical we hire Dean Lombardi and he hires Daryl Sutter, are you happy with that duo?

If that's how Katz and Nicholson think then they deserve the failure they get. A new GM should be allowed to pick the coach they want so now you're creating a situation where maybe you have to fire the GM soon too but the new GM doesn't like the new coach.

It's an ass backwards way of doing things.

Well if Katz' buddies told him that Hall had to go, Reinhart was a must to add to the team, etc. do you can Chia over it? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors but there were rumors that management wasn't happy with Hall before we hired Chia. Reinhart was a Green and Lowe favorite, etc. IMO Chia gets a coaching change, if he is on the hot seat then give someone in the org the interim label and let it play out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well for one thing if we hire a new GM there will be more candidates available at seasons end when a number of coaches get canned so unless they are a big coach Q fan or fan of a coach in the AHL chances are that they wouldn't be getting their guy anyway. Hypothetical we hire Dean Lombardi and he hires Daryl Sutter, are you happy with that duo?

Well if Katz' buddies told him that Hall had to go, Reinhart was a must to add to the team, etc. do you can Chia over it? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors but there were rumors that management wasn't happy with Hall before we hired Chia. Reinhart was a Green and Lowe favorite, etc. IMO Chia gets a coaching change, if he is on the hot seat then give someone in the org the interim label and let it play out.
They could do worse than that for sure.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Somewhat off topic but I was watching the RAW | Todd McLellan just now and couldn't believe my ears when I heard Terry Jones stumble and bumble his way around asking a simple question. He's so awful. Why does this team have so much garbage around it?

EDIT: Hilarious how TMac answer's the question as if he's talking to a child.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Everyone wanted a veteran coach. Hell I recall some people wanting freakin Lindy Ruff.

These dinosaurs have minimal ability to adapt and eventually the game leaves em behind.

Same for GMs trying to build a early 2010s slow ass Boston team without the same caliber of players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Everyone wanted a veteran coach. Hell I recall some people wanting freakin Lindy Ruff.

These dinosaurs have minimal ability to adapt and eventually the game leaves em behind.

Same for GMs trying to build a early 2010s slow ass Boston team without the same caliber of players.

I remember preferring McLellan to Nelson (but wanted to keep Nelson as an assistant) because I figured he could help us towards regular season success at minimum. Well we had 1 really good regular season and have had 2 poor ones with a 4th season still to be decided. Not good enough IMO

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I remember preferring McLellan to Nelson (but wanted to keep Nelson as an assistant) because I figured he could help us towards regular season success at minimum. Well we had 1 really good regular season and have had 2 poor ones with a 4th season still to be decided. Not good enough IMO

I liked the Chiarelli signing because I thought "finally no OBC!"... boy was I bamboozled.

Reactions: OilDrop37

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I liked the Chiarelli signing because I thought "finally no OBC!"... boy was I bamboozled.

The Reinhart trade and to a lesser degree the Hall trade had the OBC all over it as well. They need to be gone so that the new GM can do his job without having these guys in Katz' ear.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He shouldn't be that stupid to jeopardize his contract. Being talked into being LTIR'd maybe an option if he gives his all and gets no results.
Lucic looks better than last year but the results are still about the same. I really don't forsee him getting that much better at this age.

I just can't fathom how he's not screening the goalie every chance he gets.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Lucic looks better than last year but the results are still about the same. I really don't forsee him getting that much better at this age.

Seriously. He's still so much stronger than a good portion of the NHL, no one would be able to move him and he's capable of outmuscling almost anyone for rebounds.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He should literally watch hours of Smyth, Holmstrom and Ciccarelli highlights. If he is to have a place scoring goals in this league that is how he has to play. That and we need point shots to create deflections and rebounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad