Today I...

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
Went to high level pickup. This is still above my level, but makes me realize what I have to work on.

- Patience, patience, patience
- Carrying a puck is alright, if that's the best option (tend to to pass in every situation if I play with better players than me)
- Get skates sharpened more often (lost edges 2 times due to higher speed of game, I don't even remember when I got them sharpened)

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Went inline skating around my neighbourhood in Taipei.

It's a newly developed area and there's only 2 apartment complexes standing in the visible area. Not a lot of cars or people and huge open 8 lane roads. I loaded my backpack with a bunch of random stuff and skated on an uphill road. It's 35'C and humid as hell. Great workout.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
  • Ate loads of chicken
  • Went to the gym
  • Watched a load of youtube videos including pretty much every Bure video I could find despite having watched the vast majority before
  • Discovered why you Americans love The Daily Show.

Twenty One

Feb 18, 2007
Yesterday I played a game of roller hockey and ended up with a goal and 3 assists. I play defenseman. We ended up winning 8-3 or something like that. The league isn't very good, its just the feel of playing the game.

and today I wished to be able to play ice hockey every day of my life, but soon enough that will be able to happen.

PanHandler

Jun 19, 2012
Today i filled a shopping cart on ice warehouse with everything i need to start playing, and came to the realization that i need a lot more money than i currently have. :(

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Today i filled a shopping cart on ice warehouse with everything i need to start playing, and came to the realization that i need a lot more money than i currently have. :(
Check with your local rink(s) and see if they have a donation stash. Our rink takes donations and when someone new wants to start hockey they're free to take whatever they need. I know at least 5 or 6 people that have gotten EVERYTHING they need for free. It's usually old gear but hey, it'll get you on the ice. Worth a shot anyway.

Semak

...got tired of playing NHL12 and got more anxious for my injury to heel so I can skate again.

PaperworkNinja

May 24, 2012
Among Bureaucrats
Today, I grumble about the public pool facility that houses our fair city's only two ice rinks closing early on the 4th without any advance warning that they were doing so. My learn-to-play practice was cancelled and I didn't find out until I got to the rink. There weren't any updates to the facility's website, as their schedule was showing regular hours and full slates of skate time.

Just a little miffed here. I was going to top off my Independence Day by playing hockey.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

Try looking for a store that sells used gear or a liquidation store that has hockey equipment. All of my first set of equipment came from that minus a helmet and hockey bag. My whole first set of gear (skates included) cost me about $200. It got me on the ice and did fine. As I played more and saved more money, I bought more expensive gear, I don't want to add up how much I've spent on all my gear now for fear of depressing myself. :laugh:

MattB43

Apr 24, 2012

Craigslist, and Play it Again if you have one. I got my skates and pants on CL, and my helmet at Play it Again. skates and pants were like new, helmet was still in the box with tags. Saved me a couple hundred bucks.

Also, today I scored my 2nd goal in pick-up. back-door garbage rebound goal but I'll take it :D

RockemSockemProberts

Stevie's home!
Jul 5, 2012
Oradea, Rom/GR, MI
Posted on HF Boards for the first time.

I couldn't post yesterday because I was waiting for my account to be validated: Last night, sitting in my living room, I practiced flipping the puck onto the blade of my stick, flipping it up in the air, and catching it on the blade again. It's good hand-eye coordination practice, and while I could usually only do it two or three times in a row, I did set a record of nine times yesterday.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
went to the rink and signed my daughter up for the hockey 1 class.
Then I went to the local hockey shop and bought her everything she needs to start playing. She has put her gear on and off several times since, and she's been pushing a puck-shaped object around for a while now. She set up "goals" and tried to convince the dog to be the goalie. She sang the national anthem in preparation for the puck drop. And she informed me that I could be the Ducks, since she was the Coyotes.
And tonight I'm going to play women's pick-up.

Here she is, in her gear.
417429_4367481986292_1859064539_n.jpg

stocky

Jun 29, 2012
B-ville
Went to an open skate today to practice stops. I have the right side down pretty well. Still shaky on the left.

oldfart

Jun 8, 2012
Then I went to the local hockey shop and bought her everything she needs to start playing. She has put her gear on and off several times since, and she's been pushing a puck-shaped object around for a while now. She set up "goals" and tried to convince the dog to be the goalie. She sang the national anthem in preparation for the puck drop. And she informed me that I could be the Ducks, since she was the Coyotes.

How fun!
Brings back memories of my sons first times on ice...
Hope hockey is all she anticipates of it. Do give us a quick note on how those first days progress!

clayman

Apr 22, 2012
Tigard, Oregon

That is so cool! She's a lucky girl! :D

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden

Adorable! Hope she grows to love the game even more.

Today I saw a picture of the Console Energy Center fixing their ice which made me miss playing hockey so much more. Off-season sucks.

Spending the summer bulking up so i won't be so damn gassed at the end, every time :laugh:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Haha your girl looks awesome in her gear!

Gotta be a proud parent.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

Thanks for posting. Brings back some memories. Just the other day I asked my teen if I could tie his skates for old time sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad