Confirmed with Link: Tocchet to Arizona | Recchi named Penguins assistant coach | Gonchar, too

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Recchi re-signed with the Pens only a few months after his 2006 deadline trade to Carolina so how bad could that alleged rift have been? I'm sure everyone involved has long put those times behind them. I'm more concerned about Recchi's actual coaching qualifications but at least he's been working with our prospects previously. And as a player he was never the biggest or fastest or most talented guy. He became a Hall of Famer through hard work and learning, hopefully he can translate it to teaching others.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Didn't Recchi have a really good relationship with Jordan Staal? IIRC Staal lived with him for a while and continued to rent his house once Recchi moved on. His rift with the young players couldn't have been all that serious.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hopefully Recchi is good for us, wish it was Gonchar to help with the PP but ohwell. As long as we keep helping dmen reach their potential.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hopefully Recchi is good for us, wish it was Gonchar to help with the PP but ohwell. As long as we keep helping dmen reach their potential.

Well I mean the positive thing is that we haven't seen a Recchi run powerplay. So we can't really judge him based on that yet. What if the powerplay is a beast next year?

Gotta give this one time.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well I mean the positive thing is that we haven't seen a Recchi run powerplay. So we can't really judge him based on that yet. What if the powerplay is a beast next year?

Gotta give this one time.

Yeah that's the reason why i'm not mad or anything, i'm more curious how things will shape up.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Oh thank goodness someone will be able to handle Phil when he trashes the locker room and starts throwing feces like an angry baboon.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Something about a blind squirrel and a nut, yadda, yadda, yadda.

All this worry about Phil is hilarious. Not the first rodeo that had to stroke ego's.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Well no kidding they would keep their 19 year old superstar over an aging veteran. That doesn't mean that Crosby wasn't an immature kid that Recchi, at that stage in his career, didn't want to deal with. And could you blame him if that were the case?

Yes. By that time he's been around long enough to know how things work.

I agree, no one wins. You forgot to add that Tocchet goes to work for a crappy organization with a kid for GM.

That's not fair. The team doesn't have control over the market and popularity in desert. Ownership is unstable sure but I think all in all, the organization itself is just fine. Not to mention, that "kid" has done a hell of a job since being hired.

Oh thank goodness someone will be able to handle Phil when he trashes the locker room and starts throwing feces like an angry baboon.

I laughed at this harder than I should have. Now I feel shame.

Phil Kessel, our problem child :laugh:

What a great problem to have.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I was hoping to add Mullen as an assistant strictly for his work with Philly's power play over the past few years. I liked the style they played with the man advantage, it was aggressive and tough to defend. I would liked to have seen the pens go with Mullen over Recchi, but i'll give him a chance.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Does anyone actually win in this scenario? We lose what seems to be an effective assistant and Arizona gets a head coach who is not an up and comer and if anything leans towards not being head coach material.

Same thing could've been said about Sully and just about every other head coach at some point in their careers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Recchi has a pretty vast history in the player development area at this point, so I think he probably has developed a good eye for hockey. It's just a question of whether he can become a good coach with that and no experience. I'm not too concerned with him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Recchi will do just fine. He's a guy that's seen it all...he knows the organization. It will be seamless.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So does this leave the door open for Gonch to eventually take over the Director of Player development role?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Didn't Recchi have a really good relationship with Jordan Staal? IIRC Staal lived with him for a while and continued to rent his house once Recchi moved on. His rift with the young players couldn't have been all that serious.

Heard an interview with Recchi that Roenick did, and he said the problem, (for him) was Therrien. That MT was bullying the young guys. Mentioned that Staal was throwing up before most games. That he tried to stick up for the kids and when he did, that caused a big problem between him and the coach.

Roenick chimed him that he despises Therrien, and that one time me when playing the Pens with MT behind the bench, there was a scrum near the bench. So he decides to lay into Therrien, calling him every name in the book. He said that not one Penguin said a word to him in defense of Therrien. He said he knew right then that the Pens player hated him too.

So Recchi said he was the one standing up for young guys vs. Therrien.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
How hard can dealing with kessel really be? A couple hot digs and beers in the locker room and absolving him of anything to do with the media and he is a happy camper right?

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
Too bad GMJR couldn't have "traded" Tocchet to Arizona for maybe a young, cheap 3C, like say Christian Dvorak.

It would have made our lives easier.. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad