Confirmed with Link: Tocchet to Arizona | Recchi named Penguins assistant coach | Gonchar, too

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Edzo needed to earn the players' respect, and he couldn't do that. Just because he understands the game doesn't mean he can coach it. Plus, I don't doubt that he had personality issues of his own. You can see that whenever he is working a Pens' game; his grudge against them still comes through every single time. He is simply not very professional.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Edzo needed to earn the players' respect, and he couldn't do that. Just because he understands the game doesn't mean he can coach it. Plus, I don't doubt that he had personality issues of his own. You can see that whenever he is working a Pens' game; his grudge against them still comes through every single time. He is simply not very professional.

I absolutely agree with that... still didnt make Leclair or Recchi right though...

I was just pointing out that Edzo wasn't the moron people made him out to be...imo he just was too close to a player for players to see him as an authority figure...

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Who knows. I found that Recchi did very well in his player development role and would have probably preferred for him to stay there.
Look at it this way, now he'll be with the team full time and helping guys like Jake, Sprong, and ZAR continue developing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm typically very much so against how many ex-players come in and get free jobs against those who deserve it. In the Pens case, the guy who deserved it in Johnston **** the bed and nothing but amazing things have been said about Gonch. So I like this. And typically I do not.

And it's been a blessing that Sully/Tocchet both have resurrected their careers as coaches.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
In terms of Recchi moving out of the front office role into a coaching role - he just seems like a guy who wants to be in the thick of it with the NHL club. He played for so long. Some guys are development guys - Guerin seemed to really enjoy that role as did Fitzgerald. I think other guys like doing the preparation for battle at the NHL level and making an impact there. Both facets are important, but both are very different.

I personally think it's awesome to see former elite players as assistant coaches. It's much easier to respect one of the best goal scorers of all time telling you to shoot more than some former 4th line scrub.

Being great at hockey doesn't make you a great coach and vice versa, but it does give you credibility and the ability to relate to star players.

I may sort of read into this too much, but Sarge was the patriarch of this team after Mario retired again. These guys who are the current cornerstones of this franchise followed him as they were getting their feet wet, and he had a lot to do teaching them how to be professionals. These guys have seemed to play with so much more Gonchar-esque calmness since he's been back. I'm not sure if the two are related, but Sarge has always just given that calming influence on a game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Francis and Brind'Amour had assistant coaching jobs before moving up to front office jobs.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'm typically very much so against how many ex-players come in and get free jobs against those who deserve it. In the Pens case, the guy who deserved it in Johnston **** the bed and nothing but amazing things have been said about Gonch. So I like this. And typically I do not.

And it's been a blessing that Sully/Tocchet both have resurrected their careers as coaches.

I like it when an organization develops within but I also think that you need to bring in an outside influence on occasion. I think they were good moves but I get little worried when a outside perspective is never brought in. A little "new blood" every once in a while can be valuable.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like it when an organization develops within but I also think that you need to bring in an outside influence on occasion. I think they were good moves but I get little worried when a outside perspective is never brought in. A little "new blood" every once in a while can be valuable.

Hopefully the new player development guys give us an opportunity to bring in some outside talent.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Curious if the Pens plan to hire another goalie coach for the ahl since Buckley is now going to be working with Murray and Niemi. Someone has to take his old job. Anyone hear who is up for that?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Curious if the Pens plan to hire another goalie coach for the ahl since Buckley is now going to be working with Murray and Niemi. Someone has to take his old job. Anyone hear who is up for that?

They'll be looking to fill the spot. Buckley recommended a guy but no name was given and no announcement has been made.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They'll be looking to fill the spot. Buckley recommended a guy but no name was given and no announcement has been made.

Ah ok, thanks for the reply Peat.

Curious who they get, Buckley has been solid in WBS and with Murray (he previously worked with DeSmith in college). I hope it's another stellar Goalie Development Coach.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I absolutely agree with that... still didnt make Leclair or Recchi right though...

I was just pointing out that Edzo wasn't the moron people made him out to be...imo he just was too close to a player for players to see him as an authority figure...

that and he was undercut by the older players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad