Confirmed with Link: Tocchet to Arizona | Recchi named Penguins assistant coach | Gonchar, too

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Like I said before, we will continue to bleed hockey hockey personnel. Don't think this is a good thing though. I know a lot of people aren't fans but having won back to back he must have been doing something right.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean... it sucks because we have lost so many guys and they are crucial guys, but i'm so proud he gets a 2nd chance to do this. He and Sully were a good tandem, and I say that based on all the reports of what Toch does on the bench to keep cooler heads.

Sully and JR are going to have to re-staff and do so quickly. That will be a big loss.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
When you've had the kind of success the Pens have over the past 2 years, a lot of opportunities are going to open up for hockey operations staff. Don't blame them one bit for capitalising on them.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
For as godawful as his coaching reputation is, he clearly isn't as awful as advertised in an assistant role. I don't see how anyone could spin this as a good thing for us.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Losing an assistant this late in the off season will make it harder for Sully to find a good replacement, most of the other good coaches already got jobs elsewhere.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think Sully/Toch are perfect for one another. There is a good vibe and it really brought the culture we needed. I hope it isn't true, but here is another situation where i'm going to step back from what I want for the Pens and be very happy/proud for the man and his family.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Does anyone actually win in this scenario? We lose what seems to be an effective assistant and Arizona gets a head coach who is not an up and comer and if anything leans towards not being head coach material.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Huh, never even occurred to me as a possibility.

Well, for me Joey Mullen is an obvious replacement.

Looking over the AHL guys, I'm not seeing an obvious standout for an assistant. Sheldon Keefe gets a lot of praise as a quality young coach, but I just can't see past his history.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Huh, never even occurred to me as a possibility.

Well, for me Joey Mullen is an obvious replacement.

Looking over the AHL guys, I'm not seeing an obvious standout for an assistant. Sheldon Keefe gets a lot of praise as a quality young coach, but I just can't see past his history.

Tocchet's main duties were working with the forwards, no? In that case, Mullen would be a great choice.

The next one I'm worried about getting poached is Jacques Martin. :laugh: Our turnover this year has been insane.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think we have an internal replacement in case Martin leaves, in Sergei Gonchar, so I am not concerned about that.

What about hiring Dave Tippett as Sully's assistant? I hate him as a head coach, but I think he would be good behind Sully. Just like Martin is.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think we have an internal replacement in case Martin leaves, in Sergei Gonchar, so I am not concerned about that.

What about hiring Dave Tippett as Sully's assistant? I hate him as a head coach, but I think he would be good behind Sully. Just like Martin is.

Tippett could be an interesting choice too.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If true..... congrats to Tocchet.

Say hello to Joe Mullen ;).

It is not a good thing having too many management changes during a time where things are as well as they have been, but in this case I don't think it is the worst thing ever. One just has to insure that whoever replaces Toc complements Sullivan and the remaining team appropriately.
I trust that Sullivan is in full control though - and this next guy should be entirely his hire.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Left field choice - Gonchar as replacement. Just seems like he'd be great on the bench and add a further element to Martin. Comfortable with all the players and can make himself be heard.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
It would surely need to be an offensive/forwards guy.

Yanic Perreault worked alongside Sullivan in Chicago as a development coach. He doesn't have full time experience behind the bench though, and might be a better option of replacing Chris Taylor in Wilkes, but hey, maybe he could at least teach our guys to win a faceoff or two.

Assuming it plays out the way Dreger says, of course. I hadn't heard Tocchet being one of the candidates for the Coyotes job at all.

In any case, I would like some new personnel soon-ish. Even if Tocchet stays, we've still lost a few guys but added none to date.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

I was just thinking this, they should be blowing up Tippett's phone right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bummer if true. I'm not sure Tocchet is head coach material, but he seemed to be a nice player's coach to deal with the personalities on the team. I'm making this up, but it seems like Tocchet had a good relationship with Phil. That might have kept things cool when Sully was annoyed with Phil's lack of urgency during the dog days of the regular season.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Arizona should go with Bylsma. Lots of talented young players with promising careers to destroy there. He'd be like a kid in a candy shop.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Gonchar also isn't willing to go full-time yet, seems like he's another year away from that (I'm assuming that it's family-related).

I have a hard time seeming him on the bench for what it's worth (absolutely nothing). He strikes me as more of a behind-the-scenes guy and seems to be doing a very good job in that capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->