Confirmed with Link: Tocchet to Arizona | Recchi named Penguins assistant coach | Gonchar, too

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Any word on who they are bringing in to replace Recchis development role? He only just got that job then moved over to AC.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Any word on who they are bringing in to replace Recchis development role? He only just got that job then moved over to AC.

In a world where the Pens have 3 and 4 C locked down, guy I'd want for that role is Matt Cullen.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
In a world where the Pens have 3 and 4 C locked down, guy I'd want for that role is Matt Cullen.
Makes sense. Heck even if he doesn't want to commit to a full time role like that I would get him down to training camp for a week or two and put on Face-Off training for all our Centres.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lol, 3 people trying to figure out the PP now.

It is brilliant actually. It makes it easier to pass the blame on for the inevitable failure.

business-commerce-board-boardroom-ascertained-blamegames-blame_games-jman202_low.jpg

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Edzo's coaching strategy was basically sending them over the boards and saying "Go get them." I see absolutely no issue here.

"Get the puck to the net and get traffic to the net," meanwhile they've been stuck in the D zone for 3 straight shifts.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Gonchar hiring is one I like. However I dont know if adding another coach into the circus of a powerplay is the answer. Eventually there will be too many opinions. Crosby and Malkin had/have a lot of respect for him though so maybe it will work.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Who knows. I found that Recchi did very well in his player development role and would have probably preferred for him to stay there.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hopefully they give Gonchar primary responsibility for the power play, it would be a waste to have one of the best PP QBs in history and not put him in charge.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I personally think it's awesome to see former elite players as assistant coaches. It's much easier to respect one of the best goal scorers of all time telling you to shoot more than some former 4th line scrub.

Being great at hockey doesn't make you a great coach and vice versa, but it does give you credibility and the ability to relate to star players.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Pretty sure he was doing most of that already. Merely a change of job title IMO.

they made a pretty big deal out of wanting him full time instead of part time. i think this is a pretty big change

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

In one of the articles JR said he'll ramp up that search now and that he wants the best guy for the job, inside or outside the org.
I'm sure Sully would have some ideas/suggestions. He's very passionate about player development if you remember that hour long talk on yt. WIRE THAN FIRE, BABY!

Actually a pretty fun watch for anyone that hasn't seen it:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
"Get the puck to the net and get traffic to the net," meanwhile they've been stuck in the D zone for 3 straight shifts.

See Edzo used to frequent some horseracing establishments i worked at... i mean VIP level frequent lol... he had a brilliant hockey mind... its why he got the job in the first place... he just couldn't get anyone to listen to him because of guys like Recchi and Leclair... you all remember that he called a meeting to discuss a new strategy and those two told all the players it was cancelled cause they didn't want structure...

Whether you agree with what EO was doing or not that was absolutely out of line and was the epitome of the old country club players over coaches mentality...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad