TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeachBolt

Jun 2, 2010
Tampa
It's not like it has been a couple years or anything. Less then a month and people are throwing in the towel.

I think that a lot of people underestimate the amount of work that goes into buying and selling a franchise, and then completely relocating it as well. Not as simple as just shaking hands and calling it a deal.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I kind of liken it to being a Van Halen fan. It's been so long since they've had new music, and there have been so many rumors in the interim of new albums, tours with both singers or either singer, 10 albums' worth of material, etc. Every time a rumor comes up, even if it seems completely likely to happen, Van Halen fans are so jaded/paranoid that it's basically become a "when the album is in my hands I'll believe it" crowd.

So "once the team takes to the ice" might be the Winnipeg version of that. :D
Coming from quite possibly the biggest Van Halen fan on this forum - yeah, there's probably a Surrey joke in there for the unimaginative masses - I want a new album, but I'll believe they're working on it when I have it in my hands, and eventually, the car stereo. As long as it doesn't feature Gary Cherone howling at the moon and EVH playing an improperly-tuned axe, I'll be happy.

The sessions with John Shanks sound promising, even if he's only produced teeny-pop to this point. Hopefully Roth didn't blow his lungs out playing crappy dinner theatres in middle America over the past two-and-a-half decades, though after hearing some of his last solo stuff, I have my doubts. If only they could find a way to swallow their collective pride and bring Mike Anthony back. That's a tour I'd pay $300 a seat to go see.

Wait.. what were we talking about? I was admiring my red/black/white striped sneakers. They're about the only thing EVH has sold in the past decade worth buying.. unless you count the three new tracks on the Best of Both Worlds album.. which I don't. Oh, hey, Ed's guitar.. or his second one.. or something.. is in the Smithsonian now.. isn't that better than a new album?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Things are moving as fast as they can. The amount of paperwork and details that need to be settled is staggering. But it will get done, there are no snags, no other serious contenders for ownership, and everyone is playing by the rules pretty much.

No last minute rallies or major outcries against this sale happening. Just a matter of time.

I'm going to say an announcement will be made on Monday the 6th.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Hey - I was just following up on other people's hypotheticals.

And slow news days lead to pointless speculation - haven't the XXXVII Phoenix threads taught you anything.
And - this is what happens when you start using Roman Numerals. :)

Yup... it taught me a few things.

A> I have more spare time than I ever imagined

B> My 4 year old daughter will be in her teens by the time the Phoenix thread runs its course

C>The Joke "The Bruins will make it to the cup finals by the time Phoenix has a new owner" is no longer funny.

D>Killion has a bottomless pit of obscure references

E>Lawyers like beads

... this list is starting to drag...

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I don't know if "Canoe" Media is considered legit on the business forums, but there's an article with Don Waddell who STILL is saying "Oh, yes someone could STILL come in at this stage and keep the team local, so there's still a chance", and goes on to say that all it would take is for a local buyer to show up to buy the team and TNSE would be out of luck.

My thinking is when you're 80 plus percent in negotiations, it isn't as easy as that.

I can post link if you wish, just, again being Canoe/Sun Media, how rep they are on the BOH forums.

I'll post it, and Mods can do what they wish :)

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Atlanta/2011/05/29/18207796.html

Well, it didn't get ****** out, so I guess it's okay.

I don't like this giving false hope to Atlanta Fans, it's not fair to them IMO.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Yup... it taught me a few things.

A> I have more spare time than I ever imagined

B> My 4 year old daughter will be in her teens by the time the Phoenix thread runs its course

C>The Joke "The Bruins will make it to the cup finals by the time Phoenix has a new owner" is no longer funny.

D>Killion has a bottomless pit of obscure references

E>Lawyers like beads

... this list is starting to drag...
:laugh:

:laugh:

I admit I LOLed

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Waddell said yesterday that there was an interested party in buying the team and that they could sell the team for a reduced price if the party wanted to keep it in Atlanta.

Who wouldn't want to own a team in a city like Atlanta for like 80 million? With a brand new building and with lots of potential growth for the sport in that area.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
Waddell said yesterday that there was an interested party in buying the team and that they could sell the team for a reduced price if the party wanted to keep it in Atlanta.

Who wouldn't want to own a team in a city like Atlanta for like 80 million? With a brand new building and with lots of potential growth for the sport in that area.

From the sounds of what ATL fans have said on here, ASG wants as much money as they can get.... Why would they take a deal that loses them 30mil.....

I just dont believe it

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

Yes there is potential but at the same time the attendance the last 5 years has not been great and i am not saying thats all the fans faullt.As for the $80 million the probleam is how much is a new owner going to lose each year if they pay $80 million now but lose $5-10 million or more per year thats really not that appealing for some people.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

But they will have to negociate a lease with the ex owners who still own the arena,concessions,bars parking.....

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

It's a hard sell. Any potential buyers in the last few years have already crunched the numbers, looked at the books, looked at 'potential' vs. 'reality' of the Thrashers in Atlanta and decided that there is not enough of a chance of a decent ROI here.

Who wants to absorb the losses that will be incurred over the next few years? Who wants to gamble that they could turn things around? Any investor has to convince himself that they can pull off a miracle turnaround, not only in the team's success rate, but in the size of the fanbase. They will have to ignore the lack of playoff success, the small fan rally, and the extremely low Thrasher television ratings. (someone quoted 8,000 households at best)

Not only that but they have to convince the NHL BOG that they're going to be able to absorb the losses, and that they can actually operate a team.

Meanwhile a deal is being worked out that is already 80% done, involving TNSE, a buyer that is not only deep-pocketed, but is targeting a location with a solid fanbase, and has plenty of experience operating their AHL team in their arena. A buyer that the BOG already very likely views as being wealthy enough, and competent enough to own a team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
They argued that that was effectively an amendment to Article 4 of the NHL Constitution, which would require unanimous consent - and which they opposed.

And it would appear to my laymans eye that MLSE does indeed have a case. By-Law 36.4 has sweeping powers & a wide field of criteria that could be (any one of which) interpreted subjectively without a 100% unanimous vote. The By-Law supercedes the Constitution. Ass backwards. That the Commissioner can unilaterally decide whats best through a By-Law makes a mockery of Article 4. Such decisions of import should be (and are) enshrined in the Constitution requiring unanimous consent. ASG is obviously in breach of at least 6 clauses of By-Law 36.4, yet the leagues' ignoring them altogether for the sake of expediency, rendering useless not only the By-Law but so to its own Constitution.

I find this troubling. It is uncharacteristic for this particular Commissioner to walk away from a fight & walk out on the fan base without putting up a fight & enforcing league By-Laws & or the Constitution. Im not buying the argument that the NHL's simply spread itself too thin with the problems in Phoenix & cant multi-task, opening a new front in Georgia to save Atlanta. Rolling relo fee's from the Thrasher sale to Winnipeg back to Arizona in order to expedite a MH/JR sale of the Coyotes. Everyone points to the lease at the arena in Atlanta; no lease, nowhere to play. Theres more to it than just that, lots more. It could be the NHL simply doesnt want to have any part of ASG, a sort of mini "Eddie Livingstone" syndrome; whatever it takes to get rid of these guys, and having let it burn into a 5 Alarm fire, cowardly run for a safe haven north of the border leaving scorched earth behind them.

Dont get me wrong, its great for Winnipeg, not good for Atlanta & lousy for the league as a whole.

BrianL*

Don Waddell is hoping that a local owner would let him keep his job. He should just keep his effing trap shut, and start working on his new career in used car sales.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
C'mon guys, the Jets meter is still 3 notches from 'Drop the puck'. The meter would never lie, now would it?

I'm trying to look at the positives here; the longer we go without an announcement, the more time I have to sock away some moolah for STs. I'd recommend sticking to a strict regimen of Stone Cold 2L's and whatever the Book Of Gold has for discounted dining options...stick with this, and lower bowl seats may be awaiting you! :laugh:

Ozzie Bear

Apr 30, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I don't know if "Canoe" Media is considered legit on the business forums, but there's an article with Don Waddell who STILL is saying "Oh, yes someone could STILL come in at this stage and keep the team local, so there's still a chance", and goes on to say that all it would take is for a local buyer to show up to buy the team and TNSE would be out of luck.

My thinking is when you're 80 plus percent in negotiations, it isn't as easy as that.

I can post link if you wish, just, again being Canoe/Sun Media, how rep they are on the BOH forums.

I'll post it, and Mods can do what they wish :)

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Atlanta/2011/05/29/18207796.html

Well, it didn't get ****** out, so I guess it's okay.

I don't like this giving false hope to Atlanta Fans, it's not fair to them IMO.

Canoe Media stands for Canadian Online Explorer & I believe it belongs to the Sun Media chain, so should be OK.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Don Waddell is hoping that a local owner would let him keep his job. He should just keep his effing trap shut, and start working on his new career in used car sales.
Yes of course he is hoping to keep his job, and it's a good job at that. In his situation, would you do any different?

I don't blame the guy; nevertheless, I also think that at some point it may be insulting and misleading to the local fans who would probably prefer closure on this compared to stringing out people's hopes in spite of a fait accompli.

BrianL*

Yes of course he is hoping to keep his job, and it's a good job at that. In his situation, would you do any different?

When negotiations for a sale get to this stage, I don't think anyone associated with the Thrashers (from owners on down) has any business speaking out publicly that they would still rather sell it to someone else. It shows a complete lack of respect for TNSE, who are paying way more than this sorry franchise is worth.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Is it sad that if I had a time machine, the main things on my agenda to "fix" would be:

1. Islanders not signing their 1985 lease.

2. Showing Doc Gooden and Darryl Strawberry their baseball-reference pages and saying "this is what happens if you do cocaine."

3. Showing the NHL BoG, Hartford, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Quebec in 1989 what's going to happen in the future and make sure they:

award expansion teams for 1993 to:
San Jose (Smythe), Denver (Norris; to Karamanos, who sells Hartford),
Ottawa (Adams)
1996 exansion teams to: Dallas (Norris; Toronto to Adams), Anaheim (Smythe), Tampa (Patrick) and Nashville (Norris).
2002 expansion teams to: Seattle (Smyth, Winnipeg to Norris), Columbus (Patrick).
2008 expansion teams to Kansas City (Norris, Detroit to Adams) and
Houston (Norris).

Adams: MON, BOS, OTT, BUF, TOR, DET, QUE, HAR
Patrick: NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, WAS, PIT, TB, CBJ
Norris: MIN, CHI, STL, KC, NASH, DAL, HOU, WIN
Smythe: SJ, LA, VAN, CAL, EDM, ANA, COL, SEA
32 teams, 6 vs your division, 5 vs your conference (82)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

He was also the first to say that many interested parties have dropped out.

chipper

Thrashers forever
Feb 4, 2010

I think either way, whether it's sold to a local owner or if the team moves to Winnipeg, that Waddell's gone. Too much negative backlash if he stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad