TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Local news in Atlanta tonight at 6 had a statement by Don Waddell that said ASG continues to look for someone to keep the team in Atlanta (yeah, sure DW. ). NOTHING will be finalized until the BoG votes in June and anyone can still approach about buying the franchise until then for a "big discount" to keep it local...(Yeah, but wait til you have to negotiate a lease!)

Waddell says he's answered the calls of almost 20 people interested but nothing developed.....(Atlanta calls total BS! More fluff to defend quick move to Winnipeg, Don?)

Last night, the bozo known as Gearon said it was 80% but room for a local still. No Exclusive Period.

Not trying to ruffle feathers in a basically Winnipeg thread, but it was reported by legit TV news on 2 different channels in Atlanta. The media has really started to rally around this and it's almost exciting to see the media attention for the first time ("almost" because it sucks that it is taking this event to bring attention at all).

As much as the Canadian media had all the rumors flowing since Phoenix, I'm thinking Atlanta media might be the real deal because they have nothing at stake. Tomorrow will be college football summer practices for them when the Thrasher future is decided.....

Koss

Personally I think Brunt had the story, but breaking it changed everything. There was just too many prediction that came true over the last month. Now the NHL is digging its heals in, and as of late today, seem even willing to take another look to see if there is any local interest to keep the team in Atlanta/.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
BS, they DO NOT have to wait until the BOG meeting.

They do need to wait for several BOG votes pursuant to master franchise agreement: 1) out of market owner requiring a majority of 27/30, a relocation vote requiring a quorum of 26/30, a 3) a jan 1 relocation deadline waiver requiring a 27/30 vote to allow TNSE to submit a late application to relocate and (4) a new ownership vote. These are iron clad rules in league constitution and master franchise agreement.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
And after several teams got ****ed over by player contracts: bruins, devils, pens, etc. Who knows if these teams are going to buck the league. Not to mention voting on an even more difficult schedule. This is still a sticky situation for the puck to drop at MTS in october, hate to burst the bubble, but politics may inject itself in this.

Last edited by a moderator:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
And after several teams got d*c*ed over by player contracts: bruins, devils, pens, etc. Who knows if these teams are going to buck the league. Not to mention voting on an even more difficult schedule. This is still a sticky situation for the puck to drop at MTS in october, hate to burst the bubble, but politics may inject itself in this.

I can see ASG throwing the keys to the NHL if anything were to block the sale. The league would then be the proud owners of two teams in the league. To make it fair one would be located in each conference. Not to mention the $60million left on the table to offset the losses in Arizona. Yes, for sure the BOG will block this sale.:shakehead

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I can see ASG throwing the keys to the NHL if anything were to block the sale. The league would then be the proud owners of two teams in the league. To make it fair one would be located in each conference. Not to mention the $60million left on the table to offset the losses in Arizona. Yes, for sure the BOG will block this sale.:shakehead

It would be HILARIOUS if:

The NHL blocked the sale, ASG gave the keys back.
The NHL couldn't find buyers for EITHER team
The Thrashers/ Coyotes made it to the Stanley Cup final.
The combined losses were 100M

I would laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
you Winnipeg guys needn't worry. NHL will be in Peg next season. They're ironing out the little details. Brunt wasn't wrong. He was premature to report though ;)

Sorry for Atlanta fans, ASG really ran this to the ground, and did not treat the fans correctly...if everything went according to plan and the Phoenix crap was settled in January, then ASG would have shown their true colors earlier.

I am not privy to the fine details as only a few are; I personally believe there is no need for an exclusive period, bc TNSE doesn't need it. From what I am told, every day that passes without an official announcement is a day closer to one.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Points #2 and #4 could be very likely. However, the chance of #3 happening is about the chance of the Thrashers not playing at MTS Centre next season.....
Not very likely.:)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Personally I think Brunt had the story, but breaking it changed everything. There was just too many prediction that came true over the last month. Now the NHL is digging its heals in, and as of late today, seem even willing to take another look to see if there is any local interest to keep the team in Atlanta/.
Coca Cola?
A. Blank.

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
I am done forever if that happens

". It seems this league has little issue with telling it's core markets they think they're second class citizens. If Canadians wanted that, they'd watch baseball/basketball.

That being said, roccerfeller is on the money. It seems the league is finally giving up and going with the buyer that both wants them and has the cash and the facilities ready to go right now. Wish it was Phoenix instead, but beggars cant' be choosers.

If in the unlikely event that happened (as blues10 stated well) , I'm sure the league would spin it as the league southern strategy working as expected, or something like that. If there's a silver needle in a ****pile, it'll be focused on.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Regardless of what happens at the end of this, I hope there is no gloating either way among fans. Celebrate yes. Bad mouth the other city's crushed fans, no.

Atlanta fans want the opportunity to have an anthem singer in his 35th year like in Boston. They had their share of bad ownership and poor attendance, we want the same opportunity to see the other side. Instead we had to suffer the blow of getting a second chance only to have owners destroy it with malice. Admitting not to know anything about hockey and not even being able to name the team Captain.

we also know very well that Winnipeg wants the opportunity to have another NHL team....you guys have been jerked around for years before we in Atlanta were even aware of it. It seems your media frenzies did even more harm by promising gold and delivering garbage as far as Phoenix went. At least Atlanta's media is acting cautionary right now. I feel for you guys being yo-yo'ed by rumors.

Not one single fan has the ability to change what a bunch of lawyers are going to come up with in some room, or what media people choose to report with or without honest, solid sources. I hope both sets of fans remember this come June.

PS>...It WON'T be Blank. He's said several times he's got bigger fish to fry with a new outdoor stadium and the lockout.

I wish the ex-Flames could talk Tom Cousins' son into taking it on....his development company has won control of the adjoining "Gulch" property.

IMO, the NHL pressured ASG enough to release the Exclusivity joke with Moores and now they have to get serious. They are ON RECORD as saying "they don't HAVE to sell". They could easily absorb another year. That was a BIG MISTAKE to say that on TV.

AugustBurnsRed*

Yeah I'm fairly certain an announcement is coming sometime within the next 10 days.. I'm not really worried at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad