TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
This has to be the most screwed process I've everv seen in any league. Even if they save ATL will there be any fans left? And if the sale does finally close, there is only three months before training camp. How can Winnipeg properly prepare?

That's what people don't care to know about Atlanta.

If a new owner purchases the team, there are people who dumped season tix a couple of years ago and last year that are already prepared to re-up.

The attendance only tanked over the last 3 seasons after ASG told off the ticket holders, cussed a fan out in front of his kids in response to a legit question, and then raised ST prices while lowering game day tix to half price of the ST.

All documented stuff.

Our WORST average was 13,200 this year. And don't overlook that in Dec. and Jan. attendance was over 16,000 even with all the crap in ownership. They had to do something quick to kill the enthusiasm so Gearon went on the radio and said, "it's over." Fans (and the team) reacted. They won 6 games the rest of the way.

Yes, fans will come back with new owners.

Respond how you will, you can't deny PEOPLE WHO LIVE HERE KNOW THE TRUTHS.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Sigh.

1) Under Article 3.5 of the NHL Constitution, a transfer of ownership (whether to local owners, or for relocation) requires a 75% super majority (23 out of 30) - not 27/30.

2) Under BY-Law 36, a vote for relocation requires only a simple majority (16 out of 30) - not 26/30.

3) There is no Jan 1 relocation deadline in the NHL Constitution and By-Laws. If there is a deadline, it is just a League policy which may be changed or waived either by simple majority vote of the BoG, or simply by fiat by Bettman who has final authority to interpret the Constitution and By-Laws under the powers granted to the Commissioner under Article 6.3(d) of the NHL Constitution.

4) There is no such thing as the "master franchise agreement". The NHL's governing documents are (a) the CBA and (b) the NHL Constitution and By-Laws and the body of other League rulings and policies adopted (collectively the "League Rules").

Those are the January 1st rules, the supermajority is required for an application made for re same year after january 1. There are different majorities required, which is why the wait and pass was given in phoenix.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
They won't take any questions about Atlanta or Phoenix.
If thats the case all the canadian media should boycott the event, except of course dreger and meckenzie who are way too afraid to piss off gary and co.

chipper

Thrashers forever
Feb 4, 2010
If the Thrashers somehow were bought by a local owner and stayed here, hypothetically, would Winnipeg literally implode? I kinda would be interested to see the reaction there. :lol:

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
If the Thrashers somehow were bought by a local owner and stayed here, hypothetically, would Winnipeg literally implode? I kinda would be interested to see the reaction there. :lol:

Well, there may be a local owner still out there, because preference has to be given to local owners that qualify. This may be the case as to delayed announcement, but I am not a party to this transaction nor do I represent a party.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
I can tell you that any qualified and interested owner who wants the team to stay in its current market has the right of first refusal. Even if there's an agreement in principal there is no sxclusivity before a signed contract (league rules supercede statutes). There is open season regardless of this. By the way, there is an entity organized out of vegas (according to several newsoutlets, take it as you may) that was organized for the sole purpose of purchasing atlanta.

I would like to see hockey thrive, but also would like peoples' expectation limited either way until ink is dried and deal is done and approved by BOG.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashers-blog/2011/05/28/another-suitor-for-the-thrashers/

Another little tidbit from today's AJC

Last edited:

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
this deal WILL fall though.....its already beginning...
No it's not. Purchasing a multi-million dollar franchise isn't as easy as saying "Take this thing for 100 Million", there's a lot of paper work and Lawyering to do. I am not surprised that this is taking so long.

AugustBurnsRed*

Even TSN says there has been no snags and progress is being made. Debby downers already.. sheesh.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Yep. TSN and CBC keeps saying "progress is being made" and such. Which is perfectly understandable. Buying a franchise isn't as easy as writing a cheque and signing here, here and here. These things take time

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I can tell you that any qualified and interested owner who wants the team to stay in its current market has the right of first refusal. Even if there's an agreement in principal there is no sxclusivity before a signed contract (league rules supercede statutes). There is open season regardless of this. By the way, there is an entity organized out of vegas (according to several newsoutlets, take it as you may) that was organized for the sole purpose of purchasing atlanta.

I would like to see hockey thrive, but also would like peoples' expectation limited either way until ink is dried and deal is done and approved by BOG.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashers-blog/2011/05/28/another-suitor-for-the-thrashers/

Another little tidbit from today's AJC

if there is a group that wanted to eventually move the Thrash but was willing to be patient this would be the opportunity to take. They could swoop in and purchase the team at a substantial discount, knowing that without an arena lease deal they are likely to lose money for a few years, but still probably have a total investment less than if they had to pay retail plus a relo fee...then apply to relocate to their preferred location after having "given atlanta a fair chance"

Dado

AFAIAC, unless peter_sullivan says there's a problem, there's no problem.

It's all good...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Progress is not completion. As least not in my book. It would help for the NHL to make sore sort of statement on the potential local owner that just came up.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Yep. This from C-Viv, the guy Atlanta fans have absolutely skewered and Winnipeg radio has annoited with sainthood

you hate him but the dude who played everyone in atlanta for suckers with his balkin nonsense hasnt been run out of town yet?

vivlamore was right all along....as much as people didnt want to hear what he was saying...its a bit unfair to fault him for reporting the truth.....the villain is the guy who got everyone's hopes up without a legitimate source.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
And if the sale does finally close, there is only three months before training camp. How can Winnipeg properly prepare?

this didnt exactly sneak up on TNSE.....they have had lots of time to prepare for an NHL franchise....they just didnt know which one they were preparing for.

they will likely make an announcement on tuesday which will mean by friday they will have enough tickets sold to guarantee sell outs for three seasons, they will have a waiting list for suites....the tv deal has already been negotiated....its likely the new home for the moose has as well....

it will be a hectic summer for sure, but they have been busy lining up the dominoes for some time....they just need to push that first one.

wherever the moose go will have a tougher time getting ready because that market will not be prepared.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

What is the bolded part supposed to mean?

GHOST

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
this didnt exactly sneak up on TNSE.....they have had lots of time to prepare for an NHL franchise....they just didnt know which one they were preparing for.

they will likely make an announcement on tuesday which will mean by friday they will have enough tickets sold to guarantee sell outs for three seasons, they will have a waiting list for suites....the tv deal has already been negotiated....its likely the new home for the moose has as well....

it will be a hectic summer for sure, but they have been busy lining up the dominoes for some time....they just need to push that first one.

wherever the moose go will have a tougher time getting ready because that market will not be prepared.
I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything but is this just your view of the situation or do you have an inside source (don't have to reveal it - just curious)

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
It's strange that up until now members of Atlanta spirit have painted a very bleak situation of the situation. That they're losing 20m a year. That there is no one interested. Even in the middle of the season, they sabatoged the fan base (and the season) by that ridiculous Gearon radio interview.

Now the recent events:

1.) We find out that the ownership is split on whether to dump The Thrashers or sell all three.

2.) Gearon says "we don't have to sell" in an interview.

3.) They say they just need a few partners to pitch in "5 million" each to save the team in Atlanta.

4.) Bettman goes from saying the team must be moved because like in the Nordiques' and Jets' situations there were no owners for the team in that market, to saying the deal to move them might never happen. He goes from saying that Atlanta isn't working out to saying that the franchise has a problem in that market...but it isn't the problem of the market. The market isn't what's failing the franchise. The franchise has failed the market. NOW he starts talking about what a big market Atlanta is.

5.) ASG goes from being set on a deal with a very favorable return and relocation fee cut, (110m plus 20m of the Relo fee) to saying they'll take "a substantial discount" to keep the team in Atlanta. They've never said that before!!!

This process has been messed up all around, and none of it is TNSE's fault. They've been amazing and kept their noses clean. Atlanta Spirit, on the other hand:

1.) Jumped the gun with their negative desperate interviews during the season
2.) Have been the source of all the leaks regarding the contracts (or certainly most of the leaks)
3.) Are throwing out possibilities to sabotage negotiations with TNSE. Are they pulling this "we'll sell at a discount" stunt now to get TNSE to pay more?

Atlanta Spirit are inconsistent at everything they do.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
It's strange that up until now members of Atlanta spirit have painted a very bleak situation of the situation. That they're losing 20m a year. That there is no one interested. Even in the middle of the season, they sabatoged the fan base (and the season) by that ridiculous Gearon radio interview.

Now the recent events:

1.) We find out that the ownership is split on whether to dump The Thrashers or sell all three.

2.) Gearon says "we don't have to sell" in an interview.

3.) They say they just need a few partners to pitch in "5 million" each to save the team in Atlanta.

4.) Bettman goes from saying the team must be moved because like in the Nordiques' and Jets' situations there were no owners for the team in that market, to saying the deal to move them might never happen. He goes from saying that Atlanta isn't working out to saying that the franchise has a problem in that market...but it isn't the problem of the market. The market isn't what's failing the franchise. The franchise has failed the market. NOW he starts talking about what a big market Atlanta is.

5.) ASG goes from being set on a deal with a very favorable return and relocation fee cut, (110m plus 20m of the Relo fee) to saying they'll take "a substantial discount" to keep the team in Atlanta. They've never said that before!!!

This process has been messed up all around, and none of it is TNSE's fault. They've been amazing and kept their noses clean. Atlanta Spirit, on the other hand:

1.) Jumped the gun with their negative desperate interviews during the season
2.) Have been the source of all the leaks regarding the contracts (or certainly most of the leaks)
3.) Are throwing out possibilities to sabotage negotiations with TNSE. Are they pulling this "we'll sell at a discount" stunt now to get TNSE to pay more?

Atlanta Spirit are inconsistent at everything they do.

IMO, everything I've read is that they WANT to get rid of the hockey team, I don't see what purpose it serves to sabotage negotations at such at late stage (80 percent done last I heard). I think this is more an optics, possibly (PURE SPECULATION on my part) they are hearing it from all corners, and maybe hearing it from people who, forwhatever reason, they want to appease and come out with these (IMO) half hearted attempts to show they aren't the bad guys-they have been slagged quite nicely by the sounds of it in the media, and perhaps people who do other business with ASG or some of their people, well, maybe they're aren't too impressed by the optics, and it could have financial impilcations with future dealings.

Again, pure speculation on my part :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->