TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AF1982

Jet(s) Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2009
Almanya
BobbyMc tweets:

Betting Andrew Ladd will be first player signed by Winnipeg. It's believed Ladd has new extension in place. Approval on hold re: ownership.

Great head start for TNSE if it happens.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
oani0x.jpg

:yo:

BrianL*

Yes. 1 hour diff.

More McKenzie tweets.

"Neither vote will be problem for WPG - as long as no viable ownership options in ATL emerge between now and vote currently scheduled June 21"

"Since no one in ATL has stepped up, hard to imagine that happens now. But NHL's blessing of relocation hinges entirely on no ATL options."

What?!!! Somebody local shows up in the next 3 weeks and this whole thing becomes null and void? Winnipeg loses its hockey time a second time? What kind of BS way to do business is that? :rant:

RandR

May 15, 2011
More McKenzie tweets.

"Neither vote will be problem for WPG - as long as no viable ownership options in ATL emerge between now and vote currently scheduled June 21"

"Since no one in ATL has stepped up, hard to imagine that happens now. But NHL's blessing of relocation hinges entirely on no ATL options."
This is a case where a hockey analyst has tread across the line into territory where he is no longer an expert. Are we really supposed to believe that if somebody potentially credible shows up in 2 weeks that the league would vote no a week after that, go back to the old schedule, and create a field day for upcoming litigation while negotiations (that would take weeks or months) start with another potential buyer; negotiations with an uncertain outcome. Highly unlikely!

This is just TSN spouting off what the NHL is telling them, and the NHL is just reiterating their stated policy that they always prefer to keep existing franchises where they are.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
What?!!! Somebody local shows up in the next 3 weeks and this whole thing becomes null and void? Winnipeg loses its hockey time a second time? What kind of BS way to do business is that? :rant:

Yeah that might sting a bit I guess lol

Assuming no owner comes out of nowhere to buy the thrashers, then congrats winnipeg! Uve waited long enough!

matCH penalty

May 25, 2011

Considering the "interested local buyers" in Atlanta have made Hulsizer look credible, I bet you guys will be just fine.

Congrats, Winnipeg! I'll be happy for you and buy your stuff. Even if it is the Moose.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Its getting closer, but the team is still not ours yet. I had no doubt from day 1 that any sale to TNSE would be made conditional by Bettman....

1- If anyone with a pulse and some cash shows up in Atlanta and says they want to buy the team between now and June 21, Bettman will pull the plug.

2- TNSE MUST sell a certain number of season tickets ( with a 3 year commitment ) before June 21, or Bettman will pull the plug.

I have no doubt that #2 ( STHs ) will get done, but as far as #1, Bettman will be looking for an Atlanta owner up until the last second ( believe it ).

AF1982

Jet(s) Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2009
Almanya
I'm confident that the Atlanta Spirit don't want to share Philips Arena with the Thrashers.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Just to add to that point, whilee, in the end it doesn't matter whether WPG supporters all knew it was ATL all along, as some would prefer to say, but let's not rewrite history. I am sure you are just as interested as anyone in the record being accurate.

Well, if they were claiming they knew it all along because of insider info, then yeah, probably BS. But you're forgetting that Strachen was onto this thing two years ago, was he not? This isn't some secret that came out of left field.

Speaking as a jetsowner member, I always thought it would be Phoenix returning, but nobody could have predicted the stubborness of the parties there to keep losing money. But I am happy to be wrong, as Atlanta is just as dreadful (financially) and the league will be much better without a perennial money-loser there, too.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
So how does this work for hfboards now? Can winnipeg fans just go over there at 1pm today and just start talking about the draft? Will disgruntled atlanta fans have to post threads somewhere else because posting angry stuff about winnipegs team would be considered trolling? Lol

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
So how does this work for hfboards now? Can winnipeg fans just go over there at 1pm today and just start talking about the draft? Will disgruntled atlanta fans have to post threads somewhere else because posting angry stuff about winnipegs team would be considered trolling? Lol

I'd like to see them stick around, as long as the vitriol isn't directed at me or the city, have at 'er.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Its getting closer, but the team is still not ours yet. I had no doubt from day 1 that any sale to TNSE would be made conditional by Bettman....

1- If anyone with a pulse and some cash shows up in Atlanta and says they want to buy the team between now and June 21, Bettman will pull the plug.

2- TNSE MUST sell a certain number of season tickets ( with a 3 year commitment ) before June 21, or Bettman will pull the plug.

I have no doubt that #2 ( STHs ) will get done, but as far as #1, Bettman will be looking for an Atlanta owner up until the last second ( believe it ).
Absolutely not. The NHL won't spend 5 minutes doing that. Aside from already having enough to care of in the upcoming weeks dealing with a relocation on top of everything else going on (finals, draft, etc), don't forget that the league was part of this deal -- they negotiated a $40 million cut for themselves.

I am repeating myself, but the NHL is just reiterating their stated policy that they always prefer to keep existing franchises where they are. They will say that today, and they will say that the day of the vote, and they will say that the day after the vote.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It's done, boss. ASG won't sell to a local buyer.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg

The name of the Atlanta forum will just be changed to Winnipeg. Atlanta fans seem pretty classy and welcoming so i am sure once the announcement is made, that will be where we post.

Retail1LO*

This forum is going to look so naked without this thread. When does this one officially terminate?

Now all we have to do is work on getting that Phoenix one closed for good.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
The name of the Atlanta forum will just be changed to Winnipeg. Atlanta fans seem pretty classy and welcoming so i am sure once the announcement is made, that will be where we post.

You guys are being too nice! Haha I wanna see a peg fan go on their forum and post a new thread saying "moving day!" And then say thrasher fans didn't pay the rent! Gtfo this is our board now!

:sarcasm:

No seriously haha the thrasher fans do seem to be pretty good sports in all this. If the Leafs were relocating to winnipeg I can't say that I would be nearly as nice. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad