TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC2k2*

GSC...i will not argue with you about the people over at jetsowner, but even you will have to acknowledge that there would have to be many people in winnipeg who have known all or part of what has been going on....some of those people use the internet.

i understand that you are not one of those people so you find it difficult to believe that others are but there are lawyers, accountants, architects, engineers, contractors, politicians, other business owners, television executives etc. who have been involved on some level....some of these people more in depth than others....many are not even in winnipeg...some are in vancouver, some in montreal, some in toronto, new york and atlanta.

in the coming weeks as the various parts of this transaction come to light i hope that some of those people will be able to tell the story of how it happened...it would be an interesting read.

i dont think anyone can say they always knew it was atlanta, but some knew atlanta was in play if phoenix became unavailable....a suggestion that was considered preposterous by many only a few short weeks ago.

The bolded part above was my point. The OP was re-writing history.

Of the people who actually know anything about what is going on, they tend to keep their mouths shut. All the way shut.

i understand that you are not one of those people

Re-read the sentence just posted above your quote. To the extent that I have any insider knowledge of any transaction, you would never hear it from me.

Yeah, i know there are some people at the periphery of every deal who think they know what is going on - junior lawyers and law clerks at the firm handling aspects of transactions who don't yet understand the concept of discretion, suppliers, contractors, people who draw lines for a living. They tend to be the ones who don't know enough to keep quiet, and who don't understand how peripheral they are. There are also many kids, as we both know, who find it fun to make claims of insider information. For something like this, it is almost impossible to be disproved, because one can always say "well, I was told that, but my source says the deal then changed!" Foolproof.

It might be tough sometimes to tell the real insiders apart from the pretenders, but i have what I consider to be a pretty good system. My system is this: all the people who are actively claiming to have insider knowledge - trumpeting it from the rooftop, essentially - are the ones who really don't know anything. That simple system is generally pretty useful. The quieter ones who make vague allusions and parcel out details in sotto voce ... they are admittedly a little tougher to figure out.

I am sure it would be an interesting read, for us HF BoH readers at least.

xerox

Hockey pimp
Feb 9, 2011
I think they should just keep the Thrashers name. I mean, sure, the Thrasher is the state bird of Georgia, but they didn't change Calgary from the Flames, and I'm pretty sure William T Sherman never marched through Alberta, razing everything in site in a fiery inferno.
No that would be silly. Colorado didn't take the 'nordiques-name-thing' because that would have been equally as silly.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I think they should just keep the Thrashers name. I mean, sure, the Thrasher is the state bird of Georgia, but they didn't change Calgary from the Flames, and I'm pretty sure William T Sherman never marched through Alberta, razing everything in site in a fiery inferno.

I'll let you be the one to try to sell the city of Winnipeg on the idea of "Well it's good enough for Calgary...." :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
Sep 19, 2008
So is that 11am CT, 12 EST? I've never been good with time zones.

Yes. 1 hour diff.

More McKenzie tweets.

"Neither vote will be problem for WPG - as long as no viable ownership options in ATL emerge between now and vote currently scheduled June 21"

"Since no one in ATL has stepped up, hard to imagine that happens now. But NHL's blessing of relocation hinges entirely on no ATL options."

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
Now I know what I'm doing at Lunch! Hoping for stream so that I can watch it from far away.

A sad day to Atlanta and feel for their fans. As a CLF fan and having lost two teams to incompetence, I know it hurts. Hopefully this gets rectified in time just like Winnipeg.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Just woke up, turned on the TV to CBC Newsworld .... "Breaking News" ... they just showed a graphic of an invitation they just received from TNSE for a "significant community announcement" at the MTS Centre at 11:00 local time.

Yahhooooeyyyyy! :hockey:

Somebody yesterday said that CBC would get 4 hours notice, and well it's 4 hours.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
At 11 am, yes, hopefully, if I can get out of a meeting in time.

I'll be the guy crying like a baby.

I'll be working :cry: and the stupid cement building doesn't pick up CJOB and it's the last day for vets to get their heartworm stuff as all animals should be on it by tomorrow.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Now I know what I'm doing at Lunch! Hoping for stream so that I can watch it from far away.

A sad day to Atlanta and feel for their fans. As a CLF fan and having lost two teams to incompetence, I know it hurts. Hopefully this gets rectified in time just like Winnipeg.

Good time for lunch. I get home at around 11:55 and leave at around 12:20. Hopefully I'll get to see the announcement.

I still think Atlanta could be successful in the future as a market, and you have to give the fans there credit for taking this all in stride.

Ultimately, it's probably best that they don't take the Jets name. Whether people like it or not, that Jets history is part of the Coyotes now. I'd rather see Winnipeg start anew with a team that will recognize the Thrasher years rather then try to recapture that Jets spark.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Good time for lunch. I get home at around 11:55 and leave at around 12:20. Hopefully I'll get to see the announcement.

I still think Atlanta could be successful in the future as a market, and you have to give the fans there credit for taking this all in stride.

Ultimately, it's probably best that they don't take the Jets name. Whether people like it or not, that Jets history is part of the Coyotes now. I'd rather see Winnipeg start anew with a team that will recognize the Thrasher years rather then try to recapture that Jets spark.

it's failed twice... both relos to Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad