TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Something else that really is disturbing is that ASG didn't pick an ATLANTA firm to look for potential buyers.....

They chose the group in New York. How could those guys have a pulse on the history of things such as attendance, transportation issues and whatnot?

AugustBurnsRed*

The announcement part was taken back later than night.. nbd.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
I feel these little details are the NHL using TNSE as pawns details. If a local ownership group does not step forward by the NHL vote, the Thrashers are theirs. If Atlanta does get a group together, of course the BOG would approve the stay but also pay TNSE money for their troubles for being a pawn again.

I'm so pessemistic about this deal now that we're so close to getting a team that I keep having that thought the NHL is SCREWING with TNSE.
Why would bettman pour such cold water with his radio interview?
Why would there not be an exclusitivity deal with ASG?
The Phillips/Hawks exclusive deal magically ending?

Something isn't right.

Last edited by a moderator:

AugustBurnsRed*

I think some of you are over thinking the whole situation.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Out of curiosity, the thought of the Board of Governors voting made me think of something....

How sure are we that the other teams would be okay with Atlanta losing a team for Winnipeg? And how would the vote go, would it be secret? If it is, don't you think that the owners of the Canadian teams might be against it, so as to not share Canadian broadcasting dollars with 'em?

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Something else that really is disturbing is that ASG didn't pick an ATLANTA firm to look for potential buyers.....

They chose the group in New York. How could those guys have a pulse on the history of things such as attendance, transportation issues and whatnot?

Perhaps Gary Bettman wanted these guys. Could it have been the NHL doing it's part in helping to find qualified buyers? They send there buyer to them, they qualify them and they get sent to ASG.

They don't need to know those things. These guys are just the middle man. Those things don't get talked about until these guys approve that they have the ability to be thinking about being owners of the NHL franchise. They then can sit down and talk to ASG about those sorts of things. You don't want to be bothered with every clown who thinks he can find a group of investors, and has a love hockey.

No doubt, for some of the more serious buyers, this would be a quick process indeed.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I feel these little details are the NHL using TNSE as pawns details. If a local ownership group does not step forward by the NHL vote, the Thrashers are theirs. If Atlanta does get a group together, of course the BOG would approve the stay but also pay TNSE money for their troubles for being a pawn again.

I'm so pessemistic about this deal now that we're so close to getting a team that I keep having that thought the NHL is SC***ING with TNSE.

Something isn't right.

I would assume there is no exclusitivity deal in case there is local interest.

There's a theory that the Phillips/Hawks exclusitivity ended because A$G has basically sold the team to TNSE already.

Koss

"there is no deal," "there might never be a deal"

I don't maybe I'm to used to people having some sort of decency when speaking to others. If there is a deal in place, than Bettman's statements are nothing less than lies, despite what the arm-chair lawyers will tell us. It doesn't matter if you're a fan of Atlanta or the return of Canada 7th hockey franchise, we're all getting jerked around.

Or there is more going on than we know.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006

I'm so pessemistic about this deal now that we're so close to getting a team that I keep having that thought the NHL is SC***ING with TNSE.

Something isn't right.

agreed.

The city of Atlanta politicians need to be speaking up however. There is a ton of political meat on the bone if the Mayor "calls" on local money to step up and buy the teams and arena and someone does so.

NONE of the hockey fans expect or want any tax dollars spent, like in Phoenix that's the fiscally conservative nature of the south. But the silence so far from City Hall has been disturbing.

Something dirty is or was going on. We've lived it for years.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Perhaps Gary Bettman wanted these guys. Could it have been the NHL doing it's part in helping to find qualified buyers? They send there buyer to them, they qualify them and they get sent to ASG.

They don't need to know those things. These guys are just the middle man. Those things don't get talked about until these guys approve that they have the ability to be thinking about being owners of the NHL franchise. They then can sit down and talk to ASG about those sorts of things. You don't want to be bothered with every clown who thinks he can find a group of investors, and has a love hockey.

No doubt, for some of the more serious buyers, this would be a quick process indeed.

But it was also reported locally that the Reine group told ASG that it would be financially better to be rid of hockey and turn the 40 odd dates into just half of concerts, etc. If they were truly supposed to just vet owners, they wouldn't be pulling for ASG in this way.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Out of curiosity, the thought of the Board of Governors voting made me think of something....

How sure are we that the other teams would be okay with Atlanta losing a team for Winnipeg? And how would the vote go, would it be secret? If it is, don't you think that the owners of the Canadian teams might be against it, so as to not share Canadian broadcasting dollars with 'em?

I'm curious as to what the BoG's opinions would be in this situation. Do they not want to lose Atlanta? Do they not want Winnipeg? Would they sacrifice Atlanta to get A$G out and to get a much better owner in?

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Several major barriers to overcome even when the ink is dry, you still have to sell 30 guys on this...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

From what I know the Leafs don't care and the Flames support WPG. Not sure about anyone else.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
The mayor hardly seems like he cares, that's why.

since when do Mayors care about anything except pandering for more votes. Listen to your own Mayor! :)

And as far as the BOG votes, Florida, Tampa and Carolina would probably want Atlanta in the division. Would you rather get some easy wins or play Nashville?/? Eric Cole is stumping for us for sure.

:biglaugh:

Can't help that I still have a sense of humor about the Thrashers. Right now, they are still my team.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Seems kind of fair that other cities steal teams from Atlanta, given that Atlanta has done the same thing.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

This was done so that prospective buyers could meet in New York where the NHL head offices are. ASG has only been in negotiations with TNSE for 10+ days. How much contact did the Raine group have with TNSE prior to the last 10 days? I would say lots of due dilligence was completed long before the recent negotiations began. I can't wait for the book.

What I find most interesting is that Winnipeg will have an NHL team and a solid ownership group seemingly overnight. Whilst Phoenix remains ownerless for 2+ seasons. This should be a great rivalry and as the Thrashers visited Glendale this past season, it will be the Coyotes visiting Winnipeg this coming season. I wonder if the Coyotes will have an owner by then? Should be a great atmosphere at the MTS Centre.

HNIC "progess continues to be made no stumbling blocks, no announcement before Tuesday as it is a holiday weekend in the US"

Pepin le bref

Dec 27, 2009
NDG/CDN Montréal
From what I know the Leafs don't care and the Flames support WPG. Not sure about anyone else.

Going on a limb but pretty sure Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa and Edmonton markets won't be affected either.

That said, I think Winnipeg should breath by the nose in all this. I work in the real estate buisness and I can assure you ''legal details'' take time to get worked out. Nothing wrong with what's going on right now.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Seems kind of fair that other cities steal teams from Atlanta, given that Atlanta has done the same thing.

oh Really? please tell....

If Winnipeg gets the Thrashers, 2/7ths of Canada's teams would have been born in Atlanta.

Before you start, The Hawks lived in 4 different cities before St.Louis refused to refurb an arena that seated only 10,000 so they moved to Atlanta. Blame St.Louis.

The Braves, sold by Milwaukee to Chicago based guy that flipped it to Atlanta after a new 52,000 seat stadium was built. Blame Chicago.

If Atlanta goes to Winnipeg, we will CONTINUE to blame ASG. Not Winnipeg. Sorry bout that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->