TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If the BOG rejects the move to Winnipeg (which I don't think will happen) would the NHL have to take control of the team?
Yes.
Going on a limb but pretty sure Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa and Edmonton markets won't be affected either.

That said, I think Winnipeg should breath by the nose in all this. I work in the real estate buisness and I can assure you ''legal details'' take time to get worked out. Nothing wrong with what's going on right now.
Thanks. Just worried due to the announcement.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Out of curiosity, the thought of the Board of Governors voting made me think of something....

How sure are we that the other teams would be okay with Atlanta losing a team for Winnipeg? And how would the vote go, would it be secret? If it is, don't you think that the owners of the Canadian teams might be against it, so as to not share Canadian broadcasting dollars with 'em?

My understanding is that the National TV revenue ( TSN, CBC, NBC, Versus, etc. ) is shared 30 ways, so having a team in Winnipeg instead of Atlanta does not affect that pie. Teams can have local TV revenue for themselves, but that does not affect what other teams get, so its not relivant.

That's my understanding of the TV revenue, but I could be wrong.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
St Louis Hawks?
Milwaukee Brewers?

The Hawks lived in 4 different cities before St.Louis refused to refurb an arena that seated only 10,000 so they moved to Atlanta. Blame St.Louis.

The Braves, sold by Milwaukee to Chicago based guy that flipped it to Atlanta after a new 52,000 seat stadium was built. Blame Chicago.

If Atlanta goes to Winnipeg, we will CONTINUE to blame ASG. Not Winnipeg. Sorry bout that.

And the Brewers were an expansion team after the Braves.

No one in Atlanta holds animosity vs. Calgary, it's cool they kept the "A"

We aren't hateful people.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Several major barriers to overcome even when the ink is dry, you still have to sell 30 guys on this...

Just my guess, but I don't see how the BoG has not already pre-approved TNSE. TNSE had to ask for and be given permission to negotiate with ASG. Why would the NHL allow that to take place with the possibilty of it being rejected and then the Thrashers are stuck with no owner ( remember ASG wants out )?

TNSE has been talking to the NHL for years ( way before PHX claimed BK ) so the NHL knows all about TNSE and their business plans. In fact, TNSE has made presentations to the NHL in NY a while back as well. So it will be no surprise to the BoG what TNSE is all about.

If a local owner is not found for Atlanta, the votes will be done to be above board, and the team will be moving.

AugustBurnsRed*

Just my guess, but I don't see how the BoG has not already pre-approved TNSE. TNSE had to ask for and be given permission to negotiate with ASG. Why would the NHL allow that to take place with the possibilty of it being rejected and then the Thrashers are stuck with no owner ( remember ASG wants out )?

TNSE has been talking to the NHL for years ( way before PHX claimed BK ) so the NHL knows all about TNSE and their business plans. In fact, TNSE has made presentations to the NHL in NY a while back as well. So it will be no surprise to the BoG what TNSE is all about.

If a local owner is not found for Atlanta, the votes will be done to be above board, and the team will be moving.

This guy.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The Hawks lived in 4 different cities before St.Louis refused to refurb an arena that seated only 10,000 so they moved to Atlanta. Blame St.Louis.

The Braves, sold by Milwaukee to Chicago based guy that flipped it to Atlanta after a new 52,000 seat stadium was built. Blame Chicago.

If Atlanta goes to Winnipeg, we will CONTINUE to blame ASG. Not Winnipeg. Sorry bout that.

And the Brewers were an expansion team after the Braves.

No one in Atlanta holds animosity vs. Calgary, it's cool they kept the "A"

We aren't hateful people.
I'm neutral on this Winnipeg thing.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006

Ya, but therein might lie the problem.....TNSE has been in the background for years, but ASG has NEVER announced a SALE. Just looking for investors.... The NHL is now caught because local media is starting to make a stink and asking about exactly how fair of a chance "locals" have been given being that the team wasn't announced for sale until 2011. Things sure moved quickly if you believe Gearon who said yesterday that TNSE had only started talking 10 days ago.

This is a big problem here in Atlanta where people took these clowns at their words. (Not that we believe anything they say, but legally, it's on tape.)

Great article on the Atlanta Examiner.com that discusses the disconnect between Bettman saying it's been for sale for years and Gearon saying just since the radio announcement this year.....

makes ya say HMMMMMMM......

PS>...sorry Melrose Munch. I know you've been a really good poster on the ATL board. Didn't mean to offend!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Ya, but therein might lie the problem.....TNSE has been in the background for years, but ASG has NEVER announced a SALE. Just looking for investors.... The NHL is now caught because local media is starting to make a stink and asking about exactly how fair of a chance "locals" have been given being that the team wasn't announced for sale until 2011. Things sure moved quickly if you believe Gearon who said yesterday that TNSE had only started talking 10 days ago.

This is a big problem here in Atlanta where people took these clowns at their words. (Not that we believe anything they say, but legally, it's on tape.)

Great article on the Atlanta Examiner.com that discusses the disconnect between Bettman saying it's been for sale for years and Gearon saying just since the radio announcement this year.....

PS>...sorry Melrose Munch. I know you've been a really good poster on the ATL board. Didn't mean to offend!
no problem! :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I was just about to add to my comment...

If the deal between TNSE and ASG doesn't get done it will because...

1) A local buyer is found at the last second and the Thrashers stay. Congrats to Thrasher fans in this case.

OR

2) ASG is just absolutely impossible to deal with on any level, and TNSE pulls out of the deal and say "forget it".

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006

He's from Atlanta and there is a very wealthy Rollins family in Atlanta. They have a building named for them at Emory University and apparently if he's of that family, there is wealth there. However, he did say that he had other investors.

Between him and Anson Carter's links in hollywood (even tho Rollins is like a ticket taker in a theater compared to the actors) if either of them are in touch with Bruckheimer, then you have a solid threat on your hands.

CBCWPG.....I'd put my money partially on #2. Some say that there is still infighting in ASG as to whether part or all is for sale.... Some think that the Atlantans in the group are realizing they are toast in Atlanta if they sell out the Thrashers. No way did they expect the media onslaught they are getting. Thank you NFL for the lockout!!! If not, there would have been no coverage and it would already be over.

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Another article!

There has been a lot of talk about the impending move of the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg and just as much misinformation.

The one thing we can say for sure is that True North’s purchase of the team will be completed in plenty of time for (a) the NHL Board of Governors to approve the deal on June 21 and (b) for the team to play the 2011-12 season in Winnipeg.

While there are still diehards in Atlanta hoping to find an angel to keep the team in the south, the reality is that there nobody interested in owning the team.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Misinformation+surrounds+Thrashers+move/4854057/story.html

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
They do need to wait for several BOG votes pursuant to master franchise agreement: 1) out of market owner requiring a majority of 27/30, a relocation vote requiring a quorum of 26/30, a 3) a jan 1 relocation deadline waiver requiring a 27/30 vote to allow TNSE to submit a late application to relocate and (4) a new ownership vote. These are iron clad rules in league constitution and master franchise agreement.

this is what I have wondered all along. It would seem like this cant happen in this time frame by the NHL's own rules.

I wasnt following hockey the last time a relocation occurred.

Can anyone tell me if they happened like this one appears to be happening, ie the sale and the relo happening simultaneously, between seasons... or in the other instances did the teams relocate without an ownership change, or was the sale completed first then the relo process begun?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I don't understand why people go from DONE DEAL to OMG IT'S A TRAP over the course of hours based on absolutely nothing

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
without anything happening in the past few hours, HF has suddenly decided that the BoG is going to reject this deal or that there's a snag in negotiations. I mean, wut?

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I really think there is some Snag.

i think you meant to say 'i really hope there is some snag.'

the suggestion that the BOG will vote down the sale is absolutely ridiculous....TNSE didnt just swoop in to poach the thrashers.....this has been a long process that the BOG have been very well aware of for more than a year....

TNSE are partners with the NHL in this transaction....they are not outsiders.

just because there are claims that the deal is 80% done does not mean that there is a 20% chance it will fail....this is a complex negotiation between three parties across an international border.

there is no white night.....there is no saving grace....approval for relocation was given the second bettman allowed TNSE to enter into negotiations with ASG (and it wasnt 3 weeks ago)...at that point there was no turning back, the team was gone....with that caveat, he immediately shut out any possibility of finding a local investor because he instantly doubled the franchise value putting it out of reach for any local interest.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
without anything happening in the past few hours, HF has suddenly decided that the BoG is going to reject this deal or that there's a snag in negotiations. I mean, wut?

This is what happens when some jackhole reporter gets ahead of himself and says "Done Deal" and then everyone afraid they will miss the boat repeats his story and then a whole town starts partying in the streets....

Then when nothing official happens for several days, the adrenaline buzz created by the premature annuncement wears off, and those who fell for the announcement dont want to admit they might have been duped, so they start seeing conspiracy theories or just overreacting and assume the worst...

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
For you to pretend that blocking this sale after giving TNSE and the ASG permission to negotiate AND trumpeting TNSE and Winnipeg as viable for the NHL is the same as using potential relocation to get governments to pony up money suggests to me that you're misunderstanding the point.

Not saying it's viable. Just that they technically can do it. (I severely doubt that they will). ;)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
i think you meant to say 'i really hope there is some snag.'

the suggestion that the BOG will vote down the sale is absolutely ridiculous....TNSE didnt just swoop in to poach the thrashers.....this has been a long process that the BOG have been very well aware of for more than a year....

bettman didnt give the blessing to negotiate relocation in a vacuum....TNSE are partners with the NHL in this transaction....they are not outsiders.

just because there are claims that the deal is 80% done does not mean that there is a 20% chance it will fail....this is a complex negotiation between three parties across an international border.

there is no white night.....there is no saving grace....approval for relocation was given the second bettman allowed TNSE to enter into negotiations with ASG (and it wasnt 3 weeks ago)...at that point there was no turning back, the team was gone....with that caveat, he immediately shut out any possibility of finding a local investor because he instantly doubled the franchise value.

That's not fair peter. I've given it to ATL before. Boston has won. I expect a announcement on Monday.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
there is no chance the deal is finalized before Tuesday, given the holiday. When it's done in principal, the announcement/season ticket drive will happen in Winnipeg. When that is done, the BoG will vote. That's how these things work, generally... the season ticket drive might last a whole week or even two just to take things up until the 21st if the NHL is so inclined to vote that day.

80% of a deal like this means everything has really been dealt with. Now it's all paperwork... heaps and stacks of it. Brunt's sources were politicians in Mantioba, I imagine that once the major hurdles were cleared those politicians were told to be ready for the team's arrival and they proceeded to leak it to Brunt.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
They do need to wait for several BOG votes pursuant to master franchise agreement: 1) out of market owner requiring a majority of 27/30, a relocation vote requiring a quorum of 26/30, a 3) a jan 1 relocation deadline waiver requiring a 27/30 vote to allow TNSE to submit a late application to relocate and (4) a new ownership vote. These are iron clad rules in league constitution and master franchise agreement.
Sigh.

1) Under Article 3.5 of the NHL Constitution, a transfer of ownership (whether to local owners, or for relocation) requires a 75% super majority (23 out of 30) - not 27/30.

2) Under BY-Law 36, a vote for relocation requires only a simple majority (16 out of 30) - not 26/30.

3) There is no Jan 1 relocation deadline in the NHL Constitution and By-Laws. If there is a deadline, it is just a League policy which may be changed or waived either by simple majority vote of the BoG, or simply by fiat by Bettman who has final authority to interpret the Constitution and By-Laws under the powers granted to the Commissioner under Article 6.3(d) of the NHL Constitution.

4) There is no such thing as the "master franchise agreement". The NHL's governing documents are (a) the CBA and (b) the NHL Constitution and By-Laws and the body of other League rulings and policies adopted (collectively the "League Rules").

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
This is too funny. I'm starting to keep a list on who won't be watching NHL hockey in the event TNSE cannot complete a deal. All the analyzing of what is going on behind the scenes... has anyone gave Eklund a call yet? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->