TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I have not heard this

Nothing can be changed until the naming rights run out.
I don't know how long that agreement was supposed to run

And how do you know that the naming rights don't run out the minute an NHL team is secured? It is quite possible (I'd say likely) that there is a provision in the agreement that provides an out and/or renegotiation of the agreement in the event that an NHL team replaces the AHL team as the anchor tenant of MTS Centre.

GHOST

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Kansas City, Quebec. Depends.

I assume if the announcement really is on Wednesday that we'll start seeing leaks tomorrow night.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kansas City, Quebec. Depends.

I assume if the announcement really is on Wednesday that we'll start seeing leaks tomorrow night.

Eh on Kansas city.

Does Quebec still need a new rink?

If Winnipeg gets their team and PHX has to move, your gonna hear a lot of calls for another Southern Ontario team, it will likely fall on deaf ears however.

I feel like this deal will be announced Thurs-Fri

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
here is a question

so in one year the Phoenix thing is up and about and the city does not give any money to the NHL--where the heck to they move them?

If the Quebec arena starts construction like planned in 2012 with an end date in 2015, I would say them. Play 2-3 years at the old Colisee until the opening of the new one.

Lux Aurumque*

WestJet Centre sounds good to me. With Scotiabank having scooped up the naming rights to the Saddledome, I'm sure WestJet's waiting for an opportunity to take over one of the Canadian arenas' naming rights.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
And how do you know that the naming rights don't run out the minute an NHL team is secured? It is quite possible (I'd say likely) that there is a provision in the agreement that provides an out and/or renegotiation of the agreement in the event that an NHL team replaces the AHL team as the anchor tenant of MTS Centre.

GHOST

I don't know.
Maybe there is a clause and maybe there isn't one.
I guess we will find out shortly

You would be in the know... whats the average naming right agreement for a NHL arena?

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I always hear of naming rights deals lasting in the 20-30 year range.

Ozzie Bear

Apr 30, 2010
Winnipeg, MB

GHOST

That makes sense. Existing rights run on existing costs & conditions. The price of tickets & suits are based on AHL levels & so is sponsorship, including naming rights. It would be logical to have an out clause for naming rights if those conditions change.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
$7M/10 years according to this http://www.flickr.com/photos/35477558@N04/4145470322/

Not exactly the most reliable source, but it makes sense I guess.

This is probably correct
I pulled this from the MTS Centre website from December 10, 2003

Under the terms of the 10-year agreement, MTS will acquire the naming rights and in return will provide value-in-kind through its products and services, leverage advertising properties, such as the Scoreboard, the Ribbon board and other various locations, along with an annual cash contribution. In addition, this arrangement provides opportunities for MTS and MTS Centre to partner on a variety of initiatives, designed to keep Manitobans in touch with the events happening at MTS Centre.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I'm pretty sure the announcement won't come the same night as a Canucks game. The game would be totally overshadowed and could potentially split the viewing audience.

If Vancouver beats San Jose tonight, my money is on a Thursday announcement (when no games are scheduled).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I always hear of naming rights deals lasting in the 20-30 year range.

If I am not mistaken, the Vancouver Canucks got out of their deal with General Motors early to change the arena name from GM Place to Rogers Arena earlier this year. I think they announced a different kind of sponsorship deal with GM in its place. Bottom line, it's possible to end these naming agreements a little early of the agreement is mutual.

Puckschmuck*

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about "Westjet Centre". I do like it, but I also like "MTSC", plus MTS is a Manitoba Company; Westjet is based in Calgary. I would prefer to support local companies ahead of everyone else, but obviously it's up to the big wigs to sort all that out.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

GHOST

Yup. The value of the naming rights goes up the moment an NHL team sets up shop in the building, thus it would only make sense to renegotiate the fee.

Having said that, I'd be shocked if the contract didn't also include some clause that Manitoba Telecom gets right of first refusal in the event of a renegotiation.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Atlanta's mayor doesn't sound confident...
AMayor Kasim Reed on likely sale of #Thrashers: "Anytime we lose a major sports franchise, it's tough. It's going to hurt the city, but we'll withstand it just fine and get through it. But we have a lot of positive things going on things going on in the sports franchise space that we'll be announcing soon that will offset it a bit."
http://twitter.com/#!/jleslie11alive

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about "Westjet Centre". I do like it, but I also like "MTSC", plus MTS is a Manitoba Company; Westjet is based in Calgary. I would prefer to support local companies ahead of everyone else, but obviously it's up to the big wigs to sort all that out.

But the acronym MTS doesn't translate well into french..... I'll let you look it up. :laugh::nod:

berklon

Dec 24, 2008

I like the way "Westjet Centre" sounds (at least in the realm of corporately named arenas). The "jet" part feels like a tie-in to the team (even if the team name is no longer "Jets"). MTSC doesn't roll off the tongue easy enough - which I find with most 4 letter abbreviated names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad