TM dreams of McDavid

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
#2+NYI 1st (~#21)+#31+Nikita Zadorov+Mikhail Grigorenko+JT Compher+Marcus Foligno

Or

#2+Girgensons+NYI 1st+Grigorenko

And then I had a crazier thought. What about trading for McDavid somehow and keeping #2 :snide:

Reinhart+Ristolainen+Girgensons+NYI 1st+#31+Tyler Ennis

Elite center prospect, future elite #1 dman+Top tier 2 way center +top 6 forward + 2 top 31 picks for McDavid.

All 3 have no chance at happening. But I would do any of them for #97.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
#2+NYI 1st (~#21)+#31+Nikita Zadorov+Mikhail Grigorenko+JT Compher+Marcus Foligno

Or

#2+Girgensons+NYI 1st+Grigorenko

And then I had a crazier thought. What about trading for McDavid somehow and keeping #2 :snide:

Reinhart+Ristolainen+Girgensons+NYI 1st+#31+Tyler Ennis

Elite center prospect, future elite #1 dman+Top tier 2 way center +top 6 forward + 2 top 31 picks for McDavid.

All 3 have no chance at happening. But I would do any of them for #97.

First deal only peace that hurts is Zads, thats how i know it's not enough.

You're talking moving at least, maybe 2, of Risto, Reinhart, or Girgensons.

I just hope Murray doesn't do it

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
That's a pretty silly argument. For a couple reasons. 1) why would he may to trade down? 2) why does a market need to be set for McDavid. The generational talent and next Crosby.

As an aside, why so skeptical about his comments? Is that about the Myers trade.

Here's the thing. If he's actually planning on making an offer for McDavid while sitting at #2, giving this interview would be moronic. He just shot himself in the foot by saying "Fleece me, I'm willing to pay anything" long before it's even clear who'll hold the #1. That's terrible negotiation strategy if I ever saw one.

At the same time we know him as the guy who

a.) Let us all know that he doesn't consider it his duty to let the general public in on his plans before trading for a player (Fasching trade),
b.) is already famous for his lack of display of emotion in public,
c.) Isn't averse to playing the media and lancing rumors in order to increase the value of the assets he's willing to trade (Myers - Fowler rumour).
d.) Can be well-versed in linguistic subtleties when it comes to letting people know he's open for business, while also communicating he expects a big return (The whole I consider Myers a building block for the future, yada yada...)

So yeah, I call ******** or at least hidden agenda. Because if he in fact is planning on dealing for McDavid, this interview may have made him a worse GM than I thought he was.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Some of you think too much into and reach for some crazy theories when you hear these interviews.

If were sitting at 2, we'll be giving the team with #1 and very serious call for 1OA. If any teams has the package to acquire it, it's us.

But I'd say your in loony land if you think Risto/Reinhart are going with Eichel for McDavid.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
the only team i could see doing a deal that i would deem reasonable is NJD. they need to restock there cupboards. I agree with others; I'm not giving up Risto, Reinhart or Girgensons but everything else is in play.

I think our NYI 1st has to be a part of it along with Eichel.

then

One of Zads or Kane

one of Pysyk or Ennis

one of compher, baptiste or fasching

Edit: Grigs probably should be in there somewhere

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
I think Murray is better off not making too many comments about McDavid. It would be a little weird, and make for more BS from news media, if he had to "settle" for Eichel.

Yeah, this takes it one step further. I remember hearing him on Hockey Hotline a while back saying there's no question that McDavid is his #1 and thinking sheesh keep your mouth shut dude.

What can he possibly say when he picks Eichel after this is so public now?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Murray just answered what i've been saying, he always gets asked about McDavid and rarely about Eichel, so of course it's going to look like he thinks McDavid is miles ahead and do whatever it takes to move up. When in reality he is probably more then content picking at #2.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Here's the thing. If he's actually planning on making an offer for McDavid while sitting at #2, giving this interview would be moronic. He just shot himself in the foot by saying "Fleece me, I'm willing to pay anything" long before it's even clear who'll hold the #1. That's terrible negotiation strategy if I ever saw one.

At the same time we know him as the guy who

a.) Let us all know that he doesn't consider it his duty to let the general public in on his plans before trading for a player (Fasching trade),
b.) is already famous for his lack of display of emotion in public,
c.) Isn't averse to playing the media and lancing rumors in order to increase the value of the assets he's willing to trade (Myers - Fowler rumour).
d.) Can be well-versed in linguistic subtleties when it comes to letting people know he's open for business, while also communicating he expects a big return (The whole I consider Myers a building block for the future, yada yada...)

So yeah, I call ******** or at least hidden agenda. Because if he in fact is planning on dealing for McDavid, this interview may have made him a worse GM than I thought he was.

This is the same gut who declared he would give away all his ufas for any offer before the deadline and basically had to do just that.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, this takes it one step further. I remember hearing him on Hockey Hotline a while back saying there's no question that McDavid is his #1 and thinking sheesh keep your mouth shut dude.

What can he possibly say when he picks Eichel after this is so public now?

The Buffalo Sabres select Jack Eichel.

wow, that was hard. Going to need a beer after that one.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
The Buffalo Sabres select Jack Eichel.

wow, that was hard. Going to need a beer after that one.

ha yup, drops the mic.

I meant to the media though. For example after drafting Reinhart, he went on to say how he was always his number 1 guy yada yada. Anything he says about Eichel is just going to sound really insincere after the way he's talked about McDavid.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
ha yup, drops the mic.

I meant to the media though. For example after drafting Reinhart, he went on to say how he was always his number 1 guy yada yada. It's just going to sound really insincere after the way he's talked about McDavid.

Idk, all 30 teams are taking McDavid #1. Don't think Eichel will be too slighted going #2 to the team he already thinks he's going to:laugh:

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Idk, all 30 teams are taking McDavid #1. Don't think Eichel will be too slighted going #2 to the team he already thinks he's going to:laugh:

yeah the fact that he said he was comin' for us, means he gets the deal. but you know TM could say something like, "I expect him to become the next Stamkos." or "it didnt matter who we were getting in this draft, we were getting one of the two best prospects since Crosby.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
This is the same gut who declared he would give away all his ufas for any offer before the deadline and basically had to do just that.

On the 30th place team, anything for a UFA is better than letting them play it out. So what great value did he miss out on?

He got what I would call appropriate value for both UFA goalies at 3rd round prices. Only the super-tank group would complain, but only that they wanted them gone sooner.

He got a 2nd for Stewart. May have tried to overvalue him/not move him sooner, but why not? A 2nd is about what people felt he was worth, I don't really care about the date on the pick. What more would you really expect for him?

He dumped Mitchell, which may have been a slight undervalue, but thinking Torrey Mitchell had greater value is tedious at best. Plus from the baying super-tankers here, they wanted him gone, and Murray apparently agreed with that and got rid of him, so anything is better than letting him hurt the tank/walk in UFA.

Flynn was moved for whatever, who cares?

So, of the deadline deals, what did he specifically "give away"?

Your constant harping on the Myers/Bogo/Kane trade is fine, if you kept it to that trade, but expanding it with little to no basis to the rest of the deadline deals, is amusing at best.

Again, what did he give away?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

Sure, but in that case maximizing value was secondary. Getting rid of all those useless temporary overachievers was more important in the rebuild/tank context. Even with the Kane/Myers trade one might argue it also helped the tank. Not so if he plans on trading for McDavid.

YoungGrapes

Feb 12, 2015
Is it just me or when ever GMTM speaks he puts his foot in his mouth, or puts himself behind the 8 ball. Whether it was saying Risto, Zads, Girgs were the only untouchables, is interview about McDavid, even blatantly saying he is trading every UFA. He shouldn't be allowed in front of a microphone, he shoots himself in the foot.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Is it just me or when ever GMTM speaks he puts his foot in his mouth, or puts himself behind the 8 ball. Whether it was saying Risto, Zads, Girgs were the only untouchables, is interview about McDavid, even blatantly saying he is trading every UFA. He shouldn't be allowed in front of a microphone, he shoots himself in the foot.

It's just you. Well, it may be one or two others, but yea, that opinion is quite a unique one.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

It's not you, the new GM shine is wearing off and people are starting to pay attention to Murray himself. Before it seemed like not being Darcy was enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad