TM dreams of McDavid

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My fear comes from this:

TM wants McDavid and the 80% comes true. Now the GM with the #1 pick has the chance to fleece the Sabres and get a player who by all accounts is just about equal.

I would be sick if TM trade Risto, Compher and the 2nd (likely way more) to get McDavid.

Maybe I'm worried for nothing but I feel that TM overpaid for get Kane.
Seriously going to worry about this now?

He isn't making that trade.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Hey, if it's posturing because he likes Eichel, wow that gives us something to think about.

By that, I mean just one team....Toronto.

Can you imagine having the right to pick McDavid, and Toronto somehow ends up at 3, which is possible.

Murray to TO; "we will trade out of #1 but won't go past #2." You could totally fleece TO. McDavid in hockey mad TO, his hometown would be a match made in heaven.

What could we get from TO, and don't forget they'd have to trade with AZ to get to #2.

So they trade with AZ, have #2.....

Murray to TO....."we want #2 (Eichel), Nylander and Gardiner?" or "#2, Nylander and Van Rem" yeah, that could work.....You want McDavid, we want Eichel, Nylander and Van Riemsdyk.

Two years:

Kane - Reinhart - Van Riemsdyk
Ennis - Eichel - Nylander
Moulson - Girgensons - ??? (Fasching)
Des - Larsson - Foligno

That leaves Grigs, Hodgson, Gionta, NYI #1 and all the other prospects to trade for another couple spots. And in 2 years, it would be possible for Fasching to fill that 3rd line RW ????...(I'll edit that now)

Yeah, if a Cup winner is what we want (which is what we want), leveraging McDavid could set us up right. TO is the perfect fleece.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Hey, if it's posturing because he likes Eichel, wow that gives us something to think about.

By that, I mean just one team....Toronto.

Can you imagine having the right to pick McDavid, and Toronto somehow ends up at 3, which is possible.

Murray to TO; "we will trade out of #1 but won't go past #2." You could totally fleece TO. McDavid in hockey mad TO, his hometown would be a match made in heaven.

What could we get from TO, and don't forget they'd have to trade with AZ to get to #2.

So they trade with AZ, have #2.....

Murray to TO....."we want #2 (Eichel), Nylander and Gardiner?" or "#2, Nylander and Van Rem" yeah, that could work.....You want McDavid, we want Eichel, Nylander and Van Riemsdyk.

Two years:

Kane - Reinhart - Van Riemsdyk
Ennis - Eichel - Nylander
Moulson - Girgensons - ??? (Fasching)
Des - Larsson - Foligno

That leaves Grigs, Hodgson, Gionta, NYI #1 and all the other prospects to trade for another couple spots. And in 2 years, it would be possible for Fasching to fill that 3rd line RW ????...(I'll edit that now)

Yeah, if a Cup winner is what we want (which is what we want), leveraging McDavid could set us up right. TO is the perfect fleece.

I want nothing to do with a toronto team that completely gave up on the year. I'm not interested in anybody on their roster.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
bush_mission_accomplished_uss_abraham_lincoln_reuters_img.jpg

Or am I Jinxing it....

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
I want nothing to do with a toronto team that completely gave up on the year. I'm not interested in anybody on their roster.

Reilly - Ristolainen would look nice though...

But there isn't any realistic scenario where Toronto is drafting 2nd overall. Or am I wrong?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Reilly - Ristolainen would look nice though...

But there isn't any realistic scenario where Toronto is drafting 2nd overall. Or am I wrong?

it is possible but slim.

I can't see TM trading McDavid.
Does anyone really need to hype McDavid or Eichel?
If a trade does happen I can only see it going up to first or down to second. Arizona would have to give up OEL+Eichel+ don't see that happening.

I think it is just talk.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You are right and it takes a little bit of luck too.

I think the Penguins made the playoffs in Crosby's second year...true?

Yup.

But, that was MAF's 2nd season and Malkin's rookie year.

And Malkin and Crosby combined for 205 pts in 06-07.

The Sabres will be on an entirely different path as I can't see Reinhart & McDavid producing that much offense in their 2nd full NHL seasons.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Yup.

But, that was MAF's 2nd season and Malkin's rookie year.

And Malkin and Crosby combined for 205 pts in 06-07.

The Sabres will be on an entirely different path as I can't see Reinhart & McDavid producing that much offense in their 2nd full NHL seasons.

Only time will tell, but if you want to compare then compare the whole team. MAF is not a plus and someone of his skill can easily obtained. The sabres defence is/will be far better then Pittsburgh but we are probably getting off topic.

Anyone in the playoffs can win the cup. That has been proven.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Only time will tell, but if you want to compare then compare the whole team. MAF is not a plus and someone of his skill can easily obtained. The sabres defence is/will be far better then Pittsburgh but we are probably getting off topic.

Anyone in the playoffs can win the cup. That has been proven.

That team had Gonchar (32yo), Whitney (23yo), Melichar (27yo), Scuderi (27yo), and Orpik (25yo) on it.

And Gonchar and Whitney combined for 126 pts that season.

Their defense pretty good.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yet none of these questions are ever asked about Eichel, for all we know he thinks about Eichel too much as well.

If he includes Ristolainen or Reinhart and Eichel for McDavid we have Mike Milbury as a GM.

It doesn't matter who you talk to, Eichel is considered the second best prospect since Crosby, if you are lucky enough to select him be thrilled about it and keep your core.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The team's GM that wins the lottery doesn't decide do they trade McDavid. It's the ownership 100% guaranteed who will have to give a permission to trade the first overall pick. From an ownership pov, McDavid is a lot more than just a helluva hockey player. The difference between McDavid and Eichel is a lot more marketing-wise, than it is ice hockey-wise, imo.

That may not be true in an American market.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I trust Murray to do the right thing to build this team. If we wind up at two, I would trust him to do his due diligence to at least make a call and find out the price to move up to 1. If he likes McDavid more than Eichel, make a best offer. They'll either take it (great) or they won't (that's fine too).

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
He said in the media that he would offer pick two plus one of our good young guys. That means to me eichel plus ristolainen is very possible as the basis of an offer.

That said, you might not believe he's telling the truth. I'm doubtful about any of his comments, frankly. Well have to wait and see.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If he's speaking his mind genuinely here, I think we should be ready for the big offer. He's obviously not afraid to lose on value for something he covets. That's if he's speaking his mind genuinely.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If he's speaking his mind genuinely here, I think we should be ready for the big offer. He's obviously not afraid to lose on value for something he covets. That's if he's speaking his mind genuinely.

What does he have to gain from lying about this?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What does he have to gain from lying about this?

The thesis that hes just trying to game the market in case he wins the lottery and wants to trade down has been tossed around by many, for one.

I'm just generally skeptical of his public statements, personally. I'm not setting my watch by them, for sure.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The thesis that hes just trying to game the market in case he wins the lottery and wants to trade down has been tossed around by many, for one.

I'm just generally skeptical of his public statements, personally. I'm not setting my watch by them, for sure.
That's a pretty silly argument. For a couple reasons. 1) why would he may to trade down? 2) why does a market need to be set for McDavid. The generational talent and next Crosby.

As an aside, why so skeptical about his comments? Is that about the Myers trade.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
That's a pretty silly argument. For a couple reasons. 1) why would he may to trade down? 2) why does a market need to be set for McDavid. The generational talent and next Crosby.

As an aside, why so skeptical about his comments? Is that about the Myers trade.

Yes, in re Myers.

If you take what he's saying at face value then I think the big offer may be coming.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
I have no problem believing that Murray would offer Eichel + Zadorov for McDavid. And he wouldn't even flinch. Heck, he might even throw Ennis in the mix because he's not necessarily Murray's type of player. Also Grigs and 2015 NYI 1st are very much in the play.

But there's no way he's moving Ristolainen or Reinhart. No way.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

This again...

If he covets it, he's not losing on value

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes, in re Myers.

If you take what he's saying at face value then I think the big offer may be coming.

I think it's coming if we don't win the lottery. I'm doubtful another team bites. Although we certainly have the assets to make a hell of an offer.

Just when I thought some of the bitterness over dealing with two years of **** hockey could end after the season. Now this, which will obviously lead to very strong opinions if it happens. As a Mod I say damn you Murray. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad