TM dreams of McDavid

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
This again...

If he covets it, he's not losing on value

In his own mind maybe. In fact, coveting something often leads to overpaying for it because you're less concerned about cost.

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I think it's coming if we don't win the lottery. I'm doubtful another team bites. Although we certainly have the assets to make a hell of an offer.

Just when I thought some of the bitterness over dealing with two years of **** hockey could end after the season. Now this, which will obviously lead to very strong opinions if it happens. As a Mod I say damn you Murray. :laugh:

I think we could certainly make the offer that another team would be stupid to refuse. It starts with #2, one of Reinhart or ristolainen, and adds first rounders or high prospects to taste.

When I say the big offer, yeah, I assume it would be big. He's not going to kick tires with something we'd all like. It would take a stupid offer to get mcdavid, we all know that - especially for a guy telling the national media he has wet mcdavid dreams every night.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I'm really not liking the idea of giving up any of Risto, Reinhart, or 2016 1st to move up from 2 to 1. Anything else I'd be okay with, but then I don't think anything else would get it done.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Murray is not moving Ristolainen, Girgensons or Reinhart to move up, I think we can drop that scenario.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Basically, ask yourself....if we win the lottery, what would it take for you to trade down from pick #1 to pick #2....and then take the Sabres equivalent to those pieces and that is what it will take for us to trade up from 2 to 1.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Murray is not moving Ristolainen, Girgensons or Reinhart to move up, I think we can drop that scenario.

Who else does he mean when he says he intends to offer #2 plus one of "our good young players"?

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com

I don't believe anyone would like it, but do you see Girgensons as really being a showstopper for TM if he can get McDavid? I wouldn't do it, but I could see GMTM pulling the trigger on it.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
No one thought he would move Myers either, and he did. I know that there's no point in worrying about this now anyway, but there's a good chance it will be the main discussion after April 18th.

Edit: I would be okay with giving up Girgensons, though.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
While I doubt Murray gives up Ristolainen, Reinhart, 2016 or Girgensons, it's not impossible, I suppose. I'm completely against it, though. If he traded Risto and Reinhart (and any other tertiary pieces it takes to get the deal done) he should be fired immediately. It's just not smart to move up from 2 to 1, because it's pretty much guaranteed to be an insane asking price. We are trying to build a team. I'd rather have Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen than McDavid. I don't care if McDavid is better (which I think he is) we need to have a team to surround him with. I think it'd be a huge mistake to give away a guy like Ristolainen- especially with how he has been playing recently.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If he traded say Reinhart/Ristolainen and Eichel for McDavid . He can pack his bags for all I care, there is zero chance I would support that.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Honestly, if a team said we'll give you 1 for 2 and Girgensons, I say yes before they can take it back. Girgensons would be behind Eichel/McDavid and Reinhart. His 3C role could be filled by Larsson, Compher, etc.

We're falling back into Alonso territory, we love the effort, legend of Zemgus, etc here. He's a good player, but don't let the myth grow bigger than the player. Larsson has filled in great between Ennis and Molson, so you can't say Zemgus drove that line. He's a good player, but I don't let that stop me from getting McDavid

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Who else does he mean when he says he intends to offer #2 plus one of "our good young players"?

I'm pretty sure in the interview I saw he said we have several young studs to offer along with the #2 pick. I don't think he's limiting it to offering just one.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Honestly, if a team said we'll give you 1 for 2 and Girgensons, I say yes before they can take it back. Girgensons would be behind Eichel/McDavid and Reinhart. His 3C role could be filled by Larsson, Compher, etc.

We're falling back into Alonso territory, we love the effort, legend of Zemgus, etc here. He's a good player, but don't let the myth grow bigger than the player. Larsson has filled in great between Ennis and Molson, so you can't say Zemgus drove that line. He's a good player, but I don't let that stop me from getting McDavid

You actually can say Girgs drove the line. Larsson driving it now doesn't change that. It just means they've both done well in a similar role. One thing happening doesn't negate the other from being true.

As for the trade idea I would trade Girgs and #2 for McDavid in heartbeat. Which is why it's never going to be enough to get McDavid.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
If we end up picking #2, we should just be happy we are getting Eichel....there are 28 other teams that would be.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
If Murray is obsessed, he would move any combination of players to get McDavid. Risto + Reinhart + Eichel + low 1st for McDavid? Seems like an overpayment but obsessive valuation would be different than what I think. Would that offer tempt you to trade McDavid or would you still want more in return, maybe 31st + Zemgus as well, has to be enough of a return to justify moving a franchise changing player.

Risto, Reinhart, Zemgus, Eichel, low 1st & 31st for McDavid might get another GM thinking about it. If Murray thinks McDavid is worth more, he will probably offer whatever it takes.

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014

this. i'd move zemgus before risto or reinhart. Even though he's proven, the idea and excitement of reinhart and risto hitting their higher potentials is more enticing to me

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If Murray is obsessed, he would move any combination of players to get McDavid. Risto + Reinhart + Eichel + low 1st for McDavid? Seems like an overpayment but obsessive valuation would be different than what I think. Would that offer tempt you to trade McDavid or would you still want more in return, maybe 31st + Zemgus as well, has to be enough of a return to justify moving a franchise changing player.

Risto, Reinhart, Zemgus, Eichel, low 1st & 31st for McDavid might get another GM thinking about it. If Murray thinks McDavid is worth more, he will probably offer whatever it takes.

If someone offered that and I had the first I would take it and not look back.

You are entering into the Lindros to NYR deal that got nixed territory.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

What in the ****ing, ****

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

Might get another GM thinking about it? Anyone would take that in a heartbeat. It would also destroy our rebuild.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Two reasons I think I would be OK with throwing in our 2016 1st if it meant going up to get McDavid. First: I anticipate a drastic turnaround next year. We may miss the playoffs, but I think we're still at least in the conversation by the start of March. Second: Matthews/Puljujarvi are both great, but neither are McD and neither have been hyped like McD since the time they were 13 years old. In the time of our rebuild (now transitioning into a build), McDavid is the best prospect we're going to see. We've got all the fix-ins for a great cake. All we need is the cherry. We win it, great. If not, let's go get it ourselves.

One time final offer. Otherwise, I gladly take Eichel:

2nd OV
Grigorenko
The other NYI/STL 1st
BUF 1st 2016

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
What in the ****ing, ****

I'm focusing on 2 things. Actual obsession and how it would justify any payment. If McDavid is the only player he wants, every other asset is worth less. Like Smeagol, Murray wants McPrecious.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Another idea I could see being thrown out there is the right to swap 1st's in 2016. The Sabres will most likely still be a lotto team next year, and with the 1st 3 picks being lotto'd, I could see a team requesting that as well. Wouldn't be a main piece, but I could see it as a chip

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I just hope we stay the heck away. The principlal pieces are almost assuredly going to have to be eichel and Reinhart or ristolainen. It'd be another one of those deals where we'd be losing just based on the principals, let alone the sweetener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad