TM dreams of McDavid

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/dreams-of-mcdavid-occupy-sabres-murray-20150329

Is this that a bad thing? You hear rumors (posted on ESPN) that if we land the 2nd pick, TM will try to move up and get the top pick. Is that something this franchise should even consider? Why would we want to give away perfectly good assets to move up one place in this draft?

I'm no scout but I have seen plenty of both players and though McDavid is the better offensive player, I do not think that gap is that great. Eickel looks like the more complete player at this stage, physically bigger and strong, with a 200 foot game. It tough to compare the CHL to the NCAA as the age and roster imbalance differences are significant but Eickel certainly looks like a guy whom would fit into our future nicely.

Should we be worried by Tim Murray's obsession?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
As I wrote in another thread, at this point it is more GM gamesmanship than anything else... all GMs with decent odds in the lottery are playing high stakes poker.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
I'd be more worried if he wasn't obsessed. Just goes to show that's he's not ok with settling for less, which is an excellent quality to have for a GM.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It is not something to care about IMO, at least not until after the draft lottery. I am sure there is 29 other GMs that would feel that way if their team was sitting in 30th with 7 games to go and at the draft there will be 29 other teams wanting to be 1st overall at the draft.

I would be disappointed in the GM if he wasn't trying to move up at the draft to grab a better player for something like later draft picks or future UFAs or players that dont fit into the future.

To be honest I think he is just being facetious about the situation.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Have+a+seat+right+over+there+_67cd86828d4d08feaf0b762436b5c7a6.jpg

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
This sudden display of passion seems a little out of character to me. What if he's actually pumping McDavid's tires to inflate interest while he actually covets Eichel? After all, we're still the organization most likely to win the lottery at this point in time. How about ending up with Eichel + another elite piece?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This sudden display of passion seems a little out of character to me. What if he's actually pumping McDavid's tires to inflate interest while he actually covets Eichel? After all, we're still the organization most likely to win the lottery at this point in time. How about ending up with Eichel + another elite piece?

Its just my opinion but I dont think he is trading McDavid for Eichel+++

That could go down as the biggest blunder in team history. If McDavid is the next Crosby, this team is in the playoffs in the next 2 years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

That could go down as the biggest blunder in team history. If McDavid is the next Crosby, this team is in the playoffs in the next 2 years.

It's going to take a lot more than just the next Crosby for this team to make the playoffs next season.

They are -110 goal differential right now. They would need to get to around +15 to +20 to be a borderline playoff team.

That is a HUGE level of improvement year over year.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

I think this could be true.

Has anyone ever thought of something along the lines of us trading McDavid for Eichel +Hall? :sarcasm:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/dreams-of-mcdavid-occupy-sabres-murray-20150329

Is this that a bad thing? You hear rumors (posted on ESPN) that if we land the 2nd pick, TM will try to move up and get the top pick. Is that something this franchise should even consider? Why would we want to give away perfectly good assets to move up one place in this draft?

I'm no scout but I have seen plenty of both players and though McDavid is the better offensive player, I do not think that gap is that great. Eickel looks like the more complete player at this stage, physically bigger and strong, with a 200 foot game. It tough to compare the CHL to the NCAA as the age and roster imbalance differences are significant but Eickel certainly looks like a guy whom would fit into our future nicely.

Should we be worried by Tim Murray's obsession?

No reason to lose sleep now, but file it away in case he makes the counterproductive offer. I don't know what I'd add to eichel to get mcdavid, but I have a feeling the asking price would start at ristolainen or Reinhart plus a roster player we like. Hard to see how that deal makes us better long term.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It's going to take a lot more than just the next Crosby for this team to make the playoffs next season.

They are -110 goal differential right now. They would need to get to around +15 to +20 to be a borderline playoff team.

That is a HUGE level of improvement year over year.

If you are a fan of Murray then you should expect him to get it done.

Add

Reinhart(2nd line center)
Kane(1st line wing)
McDavid(1st line center)
Pysyk(top 4)
McCabe(top 4)

As I said two years, we just added two top line centers, a top line wing and two top four defencemen.
That is without any other prospect maturing, trades or UFA added to the team.

If McDavid turns out to be the next Crosby this team is in the playoffs in two years.(Crosby had 36 goals and 120 points in his second year)

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

Add

Kane(1st line wing)
McDavid(1st line center)
Pysyk(top 4)
McCabe(top 4)

As I said two years, we just added two top line centers, a top line wing and two top four defencemen.

If McDavid turns out to be the next Crosby this team is in the playoffs in two years.(Crosby had 36 goals and 120 points in his second year)

Yes, but if the Sabres don't get McDavid in the lottery, what would they give up to move from second to first pick?

I would hope it's just talk on Murray's part. Eichel, with everyone else maturing, plus Kane, and whomever we might get in free agency/trade makes a perfectly good team down the line. In other words, take Eichel, and go from there.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Add

Kane(1st line wing)
McDavid(1st line center)
Pysyk(top 4)
McCabe(top 4)

Being a fan of a GM doesn't mean that I should expect him to do the unrealistic.

When has a playoff team ever been led by two rookies as their top 2 centers?

And Pysyk and McCabe will not be top 4 NHL defensemen next season. At least not when the conversation is framed about the Sabres being a playoff team.

Add in the unknown about who the starting goalie will be and I think that bridging that gap is not easily overcome.

I believe it is possible that the Sabres make the playoffs next season. But, it will take lots of luck and Murray being able to make a few sizable moves this offseason.

And that might be too much to ask in one off season.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Being a fan of a GM doesn't mean that I should expect him to do the unrealistic.

When has a playoff team ever been led by two rookies as their top 2 centers?

And Pysyk and McCabe will not be top 4 NHL defensemen next season. At least not when the conversation is framed about the Sabres being a playoff team.

Add in the unknown about who the starting goalie will be and I think that bridging that gap is not easily overcome.

I believe it is possible that the Sabres make the playoffs next season. But, it will take lots of luck and Murray being able to make a few sizable moves this offseason.

And that might be too much to ask in one off season.

Rookies have two years?

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
The team's GM that wins the lottery doesn't decide do they trade McDavid. It's the ownership 100% guaranteed who will have to give a permission to trade the first overall pick. From an ownership pov, McDavid is a lot more than just a helluva hockey player. The difference between McDavid and Eichel is a lot more marketing-wise, than it is ice hockey-wise, imo.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I misread your original post.

I thought you were saying getting McDavid makes the Sabres a playoff team in 2015-16. And you were saying in 2016-17.

I can get with that timeframe with some more heavy moving and a little bit of luck.

Chances are Girgensons plays some top 6 center minutes too right? Unless they light it up, I don't see McEichel and Reinhart being our 1 and 3 centers from the start.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I misread your original post.

I thought you were saying getting McDavid makes the Sabres a playoff team in 2015-16. And you were saying in 2016-17.

I can get with that timeframe with some more heavy moving and a little bit of luck.

You are right and it takes a little bit of luck too.

I think the Penguins made the playoffs in Crosby's second year...true?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

Well, I was only half serious, actually, but these comments still strike me as somewhat strange. Why would a guy that is known for his pokerface and who doesn't show a speck of emotion during last year's lottery suddenly become all publicly romantic about a prospect during a critical phase of the rebuild, if there wasn't some kind of motive behind it.

But yeah, I probably wouldn't trade McDavid either.

I think this could be true.

Has anyone ever thought of something along the lines of us trading McDavid for Eichel +Hall? :sarcasm:
I would think long and hard about that.

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I think Murray is better off not making too many comments about McDavid. It would be a little weird, and make for more BS from news media, if he had to "settle" for Eichel.

That, and there's no need to pay the price to move up from 2 to 1, even if the team with the #1 pick were willing to do it. Take Eichel, make other correct moves, and the rebuild is just fine.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I honestly don't think Murray has McDavid and Eichel far apart. He just recently said as much.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Well, I was only half serious, actually, but these comments still strike me as somewhat strange. Why would a guy that is known for his pokerface and who doesn't show a speck of emotion during last year's lottery suddenly become all publicly romantic about a prospect during a critical phase of the rebuild, if there wasn't some kind of motive behind it.

But yeah, I probably wouldn't trade McDavid either.

I would think long and hard about that.

Then you think about the Lindros trade that won Quebec/Colorado the cup.(Lindros demanded a trade)

Maybe he thinks he can get Eichel + 1st line winger + top defencemen for McDavid if he has the first overall.

I am not sure what makes the team better. Going to be crazy.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Then you think about the Lindros trade that won Quebec/Colorado the cup.(Lindros demanded a trade)

Maybe he thinks he can get Eichel + 1st line winger + top defencemen for McDavid if he has the first overall.

I am not sure what makes the team better. Going to be crazy.
If you can get Eichel + that done deal.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
My fear comes from this:

TM wants McDavid and the 80% comes true. Now the GM with the #1 pick has the chance to fleece the Sabres and get a player who by all accounts is just about equal.

I would be sick if TM trade Risto, Compher and the 2nd (likely way more) to get McDavid.

Maybe I'm worried for nothing but I feel that TM overpaid for get Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad