Tkachuk with GOTY Candidate

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
To his point, though, from a Flames fan perspective it is super weird for a player with his level of success to not be able to avoid getting dragged into this sort of stuff. His decision to keep making a media circus out of this feud is bizarre.
Why they both seem to feed off it, both were the best players on the ice tonight.

Its fun to watch, and nice to see 2 guys playing with an edge against each other.

Keep it going

Wish Drew had similar rivalry with players on other teams.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why they both seem to feed off it, both were the best players on the ice tonight.

Its fun to watch, and nice to see 2 guys playing with an edge against each other.

Keep it going

I guess that it sticks out in a negative way because it's just not the norm in hockey. It can be seen as whiny.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I guess that it sticks out in a negative way because it's just not the norm in hockey. It can be seen as whiny.

I think its a positive because it s not part of the status quo that we get way too much of in hockey. Too much norm.

Snarky dislike between individual players is needed.. Fighting is frowned on, so at least give us chippy and trash talk.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Lul, GOTY? Right... more like obvious high stick. Too bad McLellan probably didn't know about the new rules yet.

Sure looks above the crossbar here.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 8.59.29 PM.png

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Totally looks like this should have been a high stick, but impressive eye-hand coordination.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
To his point, though, from a Flames fan perspective it is super weird for a player with his level of success to not be able to avoid getting dragged into this sort of stuff. His decision to keep making a media circus out of this feud is bizarre.
Let's not act like Doughty is seeking the media out here. They are hyping the story up from both sides solely for the purpose of their ratings.

Reactions: kilowatt

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Disagree. The media [especially in Canada ] has been driving it for years. Pretty much ignored it last year, then this season, they ramped it up again. MT is just as guilty if you want to go down that road with his own quotes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure looks above the crossbar here.

View attachment 262457
There are 2 different rules to do with playing the puck with a high stick.
1) If a goal is the direct result of a high stick, it cannot be above the crossbar.
2) If the puck is played and does not directly result in a goal, it cannot be above the shoulder.

In this instance since Tkachuk touched the puck afterwards, rule #2 is in effect. That said, it was over his shoulder too.

The other thing with this is video review. When Rule #1 is in play, the refs/league can review it on their own. When rule #2 happens in the offensive zone and a goal is scored afterwards, it is a play the coaches can challenge.

In this instance, I am guessing your coach decided against the review because he wasn't 100% certain and knew if they didn't overturn the goal that the Kings would be shot handed in a tie game heading into the final minute of play and OT

Schred

Sep 6, 2017

Keep it going

Yup! Made for some entertaining hockey other than that first period lol
Couldn't help but laugh when Doughty got the winner. You can tell he loves those kind of games and him taunting the crowd after was awesome.
Hockey needs more of that.

Reactions: fsanford

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I haven't seen a conclusive angle that shows it was a high stick.

The ice level cam would be ideal.

Pretty impressive play regardless

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
There are 2 different rules to do with playing the puck with a high stick.
1) If a goal is the direct result of a high stick, it cannot be above the crossbar.
2) If the puck is played and does not directly result in a goal, it cannot be above the shoulder.

In this instance since Tkachuk touched the puck afterwards, rule #2 is in effect. That said, it was over his shoulder too.

The other thing with this is video review. When Rule #1 is in play, the refs/league can review it on their own. When rule #2 happens in the offensive zone and a goal is scored afterwards, it is a play the coaches can challenge.

In this instance, I am guessing your coach decided against the review because he wasn't 100% certain and knew if they didn't overturn the goal that the Kings would be shot handed in a tie game heading into the final minute of play and OT

Thanks for the explanation. Isn't it the same as when a player knocks the puck down when he waves his stick at a puck, say as it goes out of the zone? I always thought the play is blown dead whenever the puck is touched above the shoulder no matter where it is.

OsanGar

Jan 12, 2013
I haven't seen a conclusive angle that shows it was a high stick.

The ice level cam would be ideal.

Pretty impressive play regardless
Pic on reddit from ice level that clearly shows his stick was above his shoulders when he hit the puck the first time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for the explanation. Isn't it the same as when a player knocks the puck down when he waves his stick at a puck, say as it goes out of the zone? I always thought the play is blown dead whenever the puck is touched above the shoulder no matter where it is.
Yes, it should have been blown dead. But in a case like this where the puck is coming almost straight down and the player is lowering their stick at basically the the same speed as the puck, it is extremely difficult to tell exactly when contact is made with the stick. Watching live, I didn't think it was a high stick at all personally, it wasn't until we got still images that it became obvious.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What's clear here is that Matthew has sick hands and Todd McLellan is dumb af for not challenging.
Actually him not challenging may have won them the game.

There is no guarantee that the call on the ice gets reversed. If it doesn't, the game is now tied with a Flames PP with 1:04 remaining. This means no Sam Bennett, no moronic tripping penalty and no PP in OT for the Kings.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Did anyone clip Scheifeles goal tonight? It was disallowed after an offside but was pretty cool.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Actually him not challenging may have won them the game.

There is no guarantee that the call on the ice gets reversed. If it doesn't, the game is now tied with a Flames PP with 1:04 remaining. This means no Sam Bennett, no moronic tripping penalty and no PP in OT for the Kings.
Ok? But at the time, Bennett didn’t take the penalty and it probably wouldn’t go to OT. The high stick was obvious. This is giving an extra point to a team in the same division.

Hindsight is hindsight, if the coach wasn’t a dumbass it would probably not enter OT. Entering what if’s since he didn’t challenge is kinda dumb. It could of went the other way and gave them two points.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That isn't relevant, because he hit it again below the bar before it went in. On this hit, it mattered whether it was below the height of his shoulders while standing up.

Hitting the puck a second time below the shoulders doesn't wipe out a high stick.
80.1 High-sticking the Puck – Batting the puck above the normal height of the shoulders with a stick is prohibited. When a puck is struck with a high stick and subsequently comes into the possession and control of a player from the offending team (including the player who made contact with the puck), either directly or deflected off any player or official, there shall be a whistle.

Playing the puck at all (regardless of height of contact) after touching it with a high stick calls for the whistle to be blown.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Man, I was expecting like some amazing deke and move that only a handful of players can do, and we get a highstick goal that wasnt challenged instead. The disappointment level has reached a new low today.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
None of the video clips posted are working. Either I have a browser issue or, more likely, the lizard people are taking over and denying my God given rights to view hockey clips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad