Tkachuk with GOTY Candidate

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
1) Obviously a high stick. Is Tkachuk 4 feet tall? That's the only way he'd manage to have the stick above his shoulders yet below the crossbar. I know he's slightly hunched, it still ain't close. "Angle" my ass.
2) I'm for the permanent banning of anyone who starts a GOTY thread without a vid of the f***ing goal.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
1) Obviously a high stick. Is Tkachuk 4 feet tall? That's the only way he'd manage to have the stick above his shoulders yet below the crossbar. I know he's slightly hunched, it still ain't close. "Angle" my ass.
2) I'm for the permanent banning of anyone who starts a GOTY thread without a vid of the ****ing goal.
Crossbar doesn’t matter on the initial tip - its two different rules.

The goal was fine (under crossbar) it was the self-tip, clearly above his shoulders, that should have stopped the play.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Tkachuk with a high-stick of the year candidate.

Screenshot_20191009-084122_Twitter.jpg

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
oilers won a trade for the first time in half a decade...they're really gonna run the lucic thing into the ground lol
i was just thinking this. I can't bear to hear, "Flames fans keep bragging about how they won this trade". I don't know one flames fan that likes this trade. Most fans love the fact that Neal is gone. He still isn't good enough to fit in their top 6.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I know hindsight is 20/20, but it's pretty clear Calgary should've kept James Neal.

It would have saved us from this entire debate, as in that position he would've scored that goal WITH HIS MIND.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Playing the puck at all (regardless of height of contact) after touching it with a high stick calls for the whistle to be blown.

The reference point on that wording is not where shoulders are at the moment of the touch but rather where they are normally, which can make such challenges quite difficult to rule conclusively. Without knowing how Toronto would view the situation it's quite the risk to review, as the review would need to be conclusive. I can definitely see how they would not want to risk it.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
From the only angle I saw...looks like a high stick, DO they go by crossbar or shoulders though??
Kings won anyway

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hitting the puck a second time below the shoulders doesn't wipe out a high stick.

Playing the puck at all (regardless of height of contact) after touching it with a high stick calls for the whistle to be blown.

Yes. The argument is to do with whether the first contact was with a high stick in the first place. If it was possible to prove that, it should have been challenged.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
From the only angle I saw...looks like a high stick, DO they go by crossbar or shoulders though??
Kings won anyway

When it's the last contact by the scoring team before the puck goes in the net, it's the crossbar. In any other situation, it's the shoulders. Tkachuk hits the puck twice here. The second hit goes by the crossbar, and the first hit goes by the shoulders.

Reactions: Kranix

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I was willing to let it go and then Eric Francis and Hrudey went full spin zone in the second intermission and 3rd period, respectively.
A little off-topic but didn't they say something like "Lucic isn't going to score goals like Neal but he might lead the league in penalty minutes, which can also be valuable"?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yes. The argument is to do with whether the first contact was with a high stick in the first place. If it was possible to prove that, it should have been challenged.

How can anyone possibly argue the height of the first touch? There have been multiple screenshots already posted in this thread clearly showing how high the first point of contact was - he was looking up at the puck above his head!

The play should have been called dead on the spot making the second touch into the net irrelevant.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's not even the goal of this young season. It looked cool for sure, but it ain't a GOTY candidate

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
It was a high stick and an obvious one at that. But the high stick wasn't the touch that put the puck in the net.... can that be reviewed? It'd be like reviewing a high stick at center ice... that then leads to a zone entry and then a goal.

Chris Wagner had a goal like this last year where he hit it with a high stick but hit the puck again when it hit the ice. Technically, I believe the first hit should stop the play, but since it was not the touch that led to goal, isn't reviewable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad