Tkachuk with GOTY Candidate

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why didn't LA challenge that? The new rule could have cancelled that goal created off a high stick.
I haven't seen an angle low enough to actually show the puck relative to the shoulder, but I'm guessing that if there was one, it was at best inconclusive. Also, in the last minute it wouldn't be a coach's challenge. All challenges are initiated by Toronto.

What an outstanding set of hands.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
giphy.gif

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I haven't seen an angle low enough to actually show the puck relative to the shoulder, but I'm guessing that if there was one, it was at best inconclusive.

What an outstanding set of hands.

Hrudey almost diverted from his talking points when he saw the replay. That's how obvious it was.

Reactions: Yeah15

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hrudey almost diverted from his talking points when he saw the replay. That's how obvious it was.
Hrudey (like most commentators) is not an expert in the rules. He was likely looking at the first contact and thinking it needed to be below the cross-bar.

There are seemingly infinite examples of why you shouldn't use commentators as a reference when it comes to rules.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Is the NHL gonna have a high sticking problem this was like a foot and a half above the bar. First the Landeskog one now this?

Reactions: kilowatt

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Why didn't LA challenge that? The new rule could have cancelled that goal created off a high stick.
too close in the heat of the moment i think, can't risk the penalty and give them the W potentially on the PP

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Is the NHL gonna have a high sticking problem this was like a foot and a half above the bar. First the Landeskog one now this?
in this situation it's the shoulder though, was definitely above the crossbar but he didn't put it straight in off that touch, it went in off the 2nd touch

i take nothing away from the hand-eye required for that goal though, honestly digusting

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Definitely was high on the initial touch - for chrissakes it was above his shoulders at eye level before it dropped and he tapped it in on the second touch.

They scored anyways, so why not challenge it? If you lose, it's a penalty with 1 minute left, but you're still up 1 - practically just gave them the goal to steal a point and take it to OT.

LA won anyways, but that goal shouldn't have counted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad