LeBrun: Tkachuk wants 5 years, Flames want to avoid

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He signed for 5 years. No comparable in the marketplace had him getting that aav for 1 ufa year. Mcdavid got 850k more per year while buying 4 ufa years, while Eichel got a bit over a million less per year with the same 8 year term (and is a close comparable to him on a ppg basis).

Again, the only reason the aav should’ve had an 11 at the front if he was getting 8 years. Dubas conceded on both term and aav, and the rfa ****show is a reaction to that.

Mcdavid isn’t the only comparable.
There are many players who signed for 5 years off ELC.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Draisaitl.
Name a few of the "many" comparables that have signed 5 year deals

????? Really. ?????

Basically the entire league did...... then the cap stagnated. Now with the new expansion and teams not spending on old UFAs. Players are trying to become ufa at 25/26 rather than 28/29.

It’s not hard

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
????? Really. ?????

Basically the entire league did...... then the cap stagnated. Now with the new expansion and teams not spending on old UFAs. Players are trying to become ufa at 25/26 rather than 28/29.

It’s not hard
You say it's not hard but you still have failed to produce any examples

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You say it's not hard but you still have failed to produce any examples

Seriously ?

Name the best players in the league since the lockout. Every star player except mcdavid. Ovy. Backstrom took 3-6 years. Most were 5. Go on cap friendly and look.

It’s pretty common knowledge

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Draisaitl.
Name a few of the "many" comparables that have signed 5 year deals
Crosby, Kane and Toews all signed 5 years RFA deals after their ELCs for a higher percentage of the cap than Matthews. It's not new like people are claiming.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If players are being 'forced' to take less money for RFA years, then why would they not push to become UFAs ASAP? It's only logical.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Crosby, Kane and Toews all signed 5 years RFA deals after their ELCs for a higher percentage of the cap than Matthews. It's not new like people are claiming.
Bolded is the only thing true...

Edit:
Rough go for me, bake me away toys.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
TkaTcHUk mUSt wAnT OuT

So .... he wants .. 5(!!) years.

5 years is a long time. Players are peaking faster these days, we’re talking 5 years of his prime. Not to mention the style he plays and the punishment that can come with it, but yes, he wants out so bad he’s willing to wait 5 years to do it.

If he becomes a legitimate superstar, he stands to gain an extra 10-15M in those first 3 UFA years, if he signs for 5.

Reactions: FMichael

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Um, what? Kane and Toews signed for significantly less than Matthews. In fact, Matthews was closer to Crosby than he was to those two.

Crosby - 17.30% at signing. 15.34% in year 1
Matthews - 14.63% at signing, 14.27% in year 1
Kane, Toews - 11.09% at signing, 10.6% in year 1

At the time of signing, Crosby was above Matthews by 2.67, while Matthews was above Kane/Toews by 3.54.

In year 1, Crosby was above Matthews by 1.07, while Matthews was above Toews/Kane by 3.67.

Reactions: Homesick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Um, what? Kane and Toews signed for significantly less than Matthews. In fact, Matthews was closer to Crosby than he was to those two.

Crosby - 17.30% at signing. 15.34% in year 1
Matthews - 14.63% at signing, 14.27% in year 1
Kane, Toews - 11.09% at signing, 10.6% in year 1

At the time of signing, Crosby was above Matthews by 2.67, while Matthews was above Kane/Toews by 3.54.

In year 1, Crosby was above Matthews by 1.07, while Matthews was above Toews/Kane by 3.67.
Talk about a gross misuse of information. The salary cap is based off cap hits/AAV, using year to year salary to calculate their percentage of the cap is nonsensical and frankly nothing but pure manipulation of the numbers.

I can't stand the Leafs or their fans, but shit like this is pure f***ing garbage.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Talk about a gross misuse of information. The salary cap is based off cap hits/AAV, using year to year salary to calculate their percentage of the cap is nonsensical and frankly nothing but pure manipulation of the numbers.

I can't stand the Leafs or their fans, but **** like this is pure ****ing garbage.

Um, are you being serious right now or joking? I think you’re misunderstanding something.

Reactions: Homesick

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
All three of them had also already won a stanely cup

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

I can't stand the Leafs or their fans, but **** like this is pure ****ing garbage.
What?

Reactions: Mandala

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
If he wants 5 years it has to be at a significantly lower AAV than he's asking for, and I mean significantly lower, i.e. $6-6.5 M. He shouldn't be making more than Johnny anyway.
Dream on, that's not the market today. he'll get more than Johnny for sure, unless it's very short term (like 2 years) with it increasing greatly in the 2nd year.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
After Matthews and Aho signed 5-year contracts, I sure hope this doesn't become the norm. I like locking up stars long-term.

It's more than likely going to be the norm with high level RFA's. It's really a 2 part process:

1) Players are coming into the league younger and producing at a higher level than previous generations. Therefore, they realize their compensation is extremely out of whack with their production

2) They want to enter the UFA market as fast as possible to cash in on their prime years quicker.

It's going to become a trend sooner rather than later. It is more of a question as to how long the stone-age thinking GMs in the NHL resist it

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
this will be a major CBA issue

teams want more cost control. ideally teams would want

3 yr ELC, 2-3 yr bridge, long 7-8 yr contract taking the player into their early 30s. an 18 yr old goes to around 31

player wants 4-5 yr contract taking them to UFA status then getting a long term deal of 7-8 yrs. This takes them to 33-35 yrs old

team want to get away from high and long contracts in players 32+

i see there being some sort of cap based on player age and experience like max $5M per year on players signing contracts below the age of 24.

i see az trade off of players lowering the age of UFA to 26 yrs old for all players based on their first draft eligible year (not being 27 on July 1).

they raise the age to 10, but that is the staandard ELC start year, thus no CHL at 19. Then UFA at 26 yrs old.

I don't know why this would be a CBA issue. I mean the option is there for players and teams to negotiate the contracts right now. It's just teams are reticent to get into a bidding war during a player's prime and player's would rather look for a big money contract at 26-27 than 29-30. The only way it could be addressed in the CBA is to do something similar to the NBA but that would be a complete 360, so I doubt that would happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad