LeBrun: Tkachuk wants 5 years, Flames want to avoid

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Sounds like a very good idea! Heck throw Marner in there too. You're on to something. Maybe they start they're on NHL team.
No way Marners go there. He is a Toronto boy and although he and Auston played on the same NHL team, they do not go back as far back as Keith & Auston. Plus Arizona can't afford all three.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
No way Marners go there. He is a Toronto boy and although he and Auston played on the same NHL team, they do not go back as far back as Keith & Auston. Plus Arizona can't afford all three.

Also if they both play for their home team, they may just take a discount especially after they already cashed in big on their RFA contract. A lot of players do give home team friendly deal, especially if they are real tight with their families/hockey buddies.

One of the reason why Trouba wanted to be traded to Rangers is because his good friend plays on that team.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Also if they both play with each other, they may just take a discount especially after they already cashed in big on their RFA contract. A lot of players do give home team friendly deal, especially if they are real tight with their families/hockey buddies. Auston is the key guy here and his buddy may just follow, unless of course he wants to play for his home team.

One of the reason why Trouba wanted to be traded to Rangers is because his good friend plays on that team.

If Matthews will not resign as an UFA and indicated that he would like to test the market prior to the trading deadline in 5 years, I am sure TML will trade him before the deadline to ensure a highly satisfy return, especially if they already won a couple of SC by then. In addition, TML will have cap space to go after McDavid when he turns UFA (assuming that if he also wants to test the UFA market, following the footstep of Tavares).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

If Matthews will not resign as an UFA and indicated that he would like to test the market prior to the trading deadline in 5 years, I am sure TML will trade him before the deadline to ensure a highly satisfy return, especially if they already won a couple of SC by then. In addition, TML will have cap space to go after McDavid when he turns UFA (assuming that if he also wants to test the UFA market, following the footstep of Tavares).
Matthews has an NMC in year 5 of his deal. So if they want to trade him they cannot do so without his consent. He will probably resign with the Leafs though. Tkuchuk is his own man and he will negotiate a good deal with Calgary too.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews has an NMC in year 5 of his deal. So if they want to trade him they cannot do so without his consent. He will probably resign with the Leafs though. Tkuchuk is his own man and he will negotiate a good deal with Calgary too.

They could trade him at the draft before if it came to it

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yea, it would be nice if for teams if they can lock up their top players for RFA 7 or 8 year deals. But if it doesn't happen, and the trend might might be for shorter deals...so be it. Good GMs don't worry about UFAs leaving. Just you that money and sign other players at good value.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

I'll agree with you that Leafs probably won't resign Matthews.( a one in thirty two chance) The Leafs will just use that money and sign other player(s). But if the Leafs are on a Cup run, I don't see the Leaf trading Matthews.
We don't see true Cup contenders or even playoff contenders trading upcoming UFAs. But it is a common practice on social media.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017

I think its pretty damn premature to talk about what Matthews does in 5 years.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad