LeBrun: Tkachuk wants 5 years, Flames want to avoid

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
True, so in an unknown situation why is there such a demand to want term. Can we understand that if a team isn’t projecting a player to be as good as Benn that the player might believe in himself to get to that level this not want to sell himself short. That’s probably why guys want something shorter. Stone gets $12 mill each for the 2/4 non potential work stoppage years. So, if you are a top ufa, you’re going to get paid serious money for ages 26-31. So, why should a player sell himself for less.

I’m sure tkachuk would entertain 8 years if the numbers were there but unlikely they are in that range.
yeah you def always have to overpay from what they are now to expect a player to sign for the full eight at such a young age.

makes some risk for both sides if the player stalls but it tends to work for the team long term most of the time it happens.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
yeah you def always have to overpay from what they are now to expect a player to sign for the full eight at such a young age.

makes some risk for both sides if the player stalls but it tends to work for the team long term most of the time it happens.

I also think less of the top end players are going to opt for term in the future and look at AAV and shorter term deals to maximize their earnings. I think players are legit horrified at a Nathan MacKinnon situation and would rather bet on themselves than be underpaid to a significant degree. I mean you're seeing it more in other sports too (NBA, MLB), so it would not shock me.

I think this year provided the right RFA class to where this offseason might just be the tip of the iceberg.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I also think less of the top end players are going to opt for term in the future and look at AAV and shorter term deals to maximize their earnings. I think players are legit horrified at a Nathan MacKinnon situation and would rather bet on themselves than be underpaid to a significant degree. I mean you're seeing it more in other sports too (NBA, MLB), so it would not shock me.

I think this year provided the right RFA class to where this offseason might just be the tip of the iceberg.
yeah mac unfortunatly didnt break out till he got rantanan . these guys however have already had great seasons.

so idk they are all waiting to see if the cap explodes with the tv deal and such tho. after that it may switch again .

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
yeah mac unfortunatly didnt break out till he got rantanan . these guys however have already had great seasons.

so idk they are all waiting to see if the cap explodes with the tv deal and such tho. after that it may switch again .

I also just think it's better for players to try to hit UFA at 26-27. I don't know if that aspect ever goes away once it is introduced. Especially as more GMs begin to offer lower salaries and term to players entering their 30s. If I'm a player, unless I have a history of injury, I'd almost always rather cash out at 26-27, take the term then and go from there.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Get your money and term, kid. The days of young players taking bridges so their GMs can sign middling overpaid free agents need to end.
Which doesn't really apply to the Flames off-season at all. Our FA signings this summer have been a backup goalie, a #8 defenseman, a couple minor league forwards, a handful of European UFAs to ELCs and 5 PTOs. The only trade we made this off-season saved us a small amount of cap space.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I also just think it's better for players to try to hit UFA at 26-27. I don't know if that aspect ever goes away once it is introduced. Especially as more GMs begin to offer lower salaries and term to players entering their 30s. If I'm a player, unless I have a history of injury, I'd almost always rather cash out at 26-27, take the term then and go from there.
Oh for sure as a player it's almost always better and it isn't even new 5 years were the most common out of elc for star players followed by six if they weren't getting bridged.

As a player watching the cap and salaries rise since 2006 you would be pretty silly to go long term if you were a top talent and believed in yourself unless it was a big overpay.

Like ovie even tho he signed a 12 year deal or whatever was the highest paid player till Kane toews and then kopitar got their we won cups deals and he is still pretty close to the top for aav

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
He's gonna screw the flames, just like he weasels every other player on the ice. Wanna be....

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Just my opinion. A lot of teams lose really good players at some point. Tkachuk want's no part of Calgary long term. Although 5 years imo is pretty long term.
Agreed.

Seems like today's NHL your best years are right after your ELC, and for many they wind down by the time you're 29...Those 5 seasons will be the most productive, and unless he's lucky I'd expect the Tkachuk boys to take a lot of wear, and tear on the body considering their style of play.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Agreed.

Seems like today's NHL your best years are right after your ELC, and for many they wind down by the time you're 29...Those 5 seasons will be the most productive, and unless he's lucky I'd expect the Tkachuk boys to take a lot of wear, and tear on the body considering their style of play.

MT really doesn't play that physical. I think people confuse his pest-like actions more than his style of play. For a lack of a better example - he is a lot closer to Gaudreau than Lucic (back in Boston) in terms of play style.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
just a gut feeling but he probably also wants to keep his options open to play in a bigger market or in his hometown . Just give him his 5 year deal and if you sense he's not long for staying beyond the 5 years just trade him for a haul in year 3-4 of the 5 year deal .

Reactions: greasysnapper

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He's gonna screw the flames, just like he weasels every other player on the ice. Wanna be....
Just like drai did to the oilers and any other fa on the market? Get an education and learn something about free market

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Get your money and term, kid. The days of young players taking bridges so their GMs can sign middling overpaid free agents need to end.
He is doing BT is a huge favor if that is the case. The guy truly sucks when it comes to UFA signings

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Matthews and he are very close friends, so maybe they are planning on playing with each other somewhere close to their home towns after their current contract expires? Both are going for 5 years so it is not hard to think that they would like that, especially one is a center & another is a winger.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Matthews and he are very close friends, so maybe they are planning on playing with each other somewhere close to their home towns after their current contract expires? Both are going for 5 years so it is not hard to think that they would like that, especially one is a center & another is a winger.

Sounds like a very good idea! Heck throw Marner in there too. You're on to something. Maybe they start they're on NHL team.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
So he got 5 years worth of salary because his team was good enough to win the cup?
No, he got that 5 year deal because he actually did something in his first 3 years, like winning the Art Ross,Hart and Lindsay. He was also the face of the franchise and was never a threat to walk. It remains to be seen what Matthews does

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If I was Treliving, I wouldn't mind a 5 year term if it keeps his cap hit a lot lower. Their competitive window is only going to last so long considering term left on Gaudreau's deal and Giordano's age. 4-5 years from now there is a good chance the team is in a rebuild/bubble phase.

If they can swing ~7M AAV on a 5 year deal they should do it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Quite tough to fit under the cap with their pricetag after these current contracts.

I'd could see Tkachuk brothers doing that somewhere, but Matthews? No.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
How exactly does that change their expected future performance that you're paying for?
Are you asking me how players who were huuuuge parts of teams that won stanley cups in their first 3 years can demand more money after that elc? Is it not ridiculously obvious?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->