Player Discussion TJ Oshie

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
You can kind of see here why the Caps looked like someone let their air out of their tires v Carolina after he was injured in the playoffs. You can also see why Oprik told MacLellan that he had to stay.

Might be that he is a much bigger part of the program than we know.

Not really, some of us know and have been saying so for quite a while now.

Reactions: Calicaps and txpd

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I have an active avatar bet on the side of "he will be protected". I think the chance they expose him out of some ridiculous cap reason is lower than the chance that I win the Powerball AND the Megabucks in the same week.
With Kuz getting shipped out for team reasons. Its a no brainer to keep Oshie

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
Where are we on the expose Oshie/don't expose Oshie split here on HF?
Thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to expose him/move him simply because of the likelihood that contract doesn't age well, but after the last couple weeks....he's too important to this team man. Only way he leaves is if he wants out.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Even if Oshie’s play goes south somewhere down the line, I think it’ll hurt the team a hell of a lot less than him leaving it. I’m not sure there’s anyone else on the team the guy’s love playing with more. He never plays without energy or passion. He’s accountable. He’s everything you’d want from a guy, and trading for and resigning him is one of the best moves GMBM ever made.

The fact they locked Backstrom in long term too, whose game similarly doesn’t rely on speed, gives me no reason to think Osh will be exposed.

The fact that he didn’t get an ‘A’ last year is robbery.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It appears that Oshie is bringing the Capitals together more than Kuznetsov is tearing them apart.
Do we have evidence that he's tearing them apart? I'm as frustrated with his transgressions as anyone else is and think he's probably worn out his welcome here but we have no idea what happened, no idea how the locker room is taking it, no idea if they want him out or if they support him, etc. I understand you're just trying to connect data points and that Lavi had some vague comment about handling it within the locker room which some have taken to interpret as the players wanted him disciplined but saying that Kuznetsov is tearing them apart is a pretty significant accusation and one that is unfounded to my knowledge and to this point, at least. You may ultimately be right but we don't know yet, unless I'm missing something.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do we have evidence that he's tearing them apart? I'm as frustrated with his transgressions as anyone else is and think he's probably worn out his welcome here but we have no idea what happened, no idea how the locker room is taking it, no idea if they want him out or if they support him, etc. I understand you're just trying to connect data points and that Lavi had some vague comment about handling it within the locker room which some have taken to interpret as the players wanted him disciplined but saying that Kuznetsov is tearing them apart is a pretty significant accusation and one that is unfounded to my knowledge and to this point, at least. You may ultimately be right but we don't know yet, unless I'm missing something.

Bringing them together/tearing them apart....Positive energy/negative energy. Call it what you want. They have one guy that is a serious distraction and another guy that is their inspiration. What we know it what the team chooses to tell us. Which I assume are not lies. Well chosen and vetted words. A team function and we are working thru it in the room. I have decided what that means to me. What does it mean to you?

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bringing them together/tearing them apart....Positive energy/negative energy. Call it want. They have one guy that is a serious distraction and another guy that is their inspiration. What we know it what the team chooses to tell us. Which I assume are not lies. Well chosen and vetted words. A team function and we are working thru it in the room. I have decided what that means to me. What does it mean to you?
Could mean he missed film or a team meeting or the team bus since it was an away game. Could mean there was some team building event or maybe a charity event in New York that he skipped. Maybe it had to do with Coach Osh, maybe not. If he's in Covid protocol maybe he went out somewhere to eat instead of eating with the team. Why would missing a team event honoring Coach Osh put him in Covid protocol? I have decided I don't have enough information to know what he did so I don't know the exact transgression but I know I don't like it. Still, even though I don't like it I'm not about to say he's tearing the team apart. There is a large spectrum between tearing the team apart and doing something dumb and you're going from six to midnight based on pretty limited info, I think.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Could mean he missed film or a team meeting or the team bus since it was an away game. Could mean there was some team building event or maybe a charity event in New York that he skipped..

In the past when a player was late or missing without leave the event in question was specified. If you are not careful with your language, it could mean any of those things. Yes. When you are surgical and your language is washed and filtered by the front office and PR and lawyers what they say means something. Because Laviolette said that Kuzy returning was up to "the room" and not him, it was not team work. Practice or the bus and so forth. It might have been a player arranged charity thing. They arent going to tell us. The team building is always done early in the season. If its not built by now, then....

What we do know is that the team has and most other teams have a track record on these things. Ov overslept and missed practice. He was sat down for 1 game. Thats typical. The team specified in its announcement that Ov missed practice and they provided Ov to the media for him to explain. This has never appeared to be a 1 game thing and appearances is all they give us. They didnt specify what it was nor did they provide the players to explain as they have done in the past.

Ive said it before that my original take was that as this was the team's final trip to NYC this season, that Sammy had somethings to get for family and took Kuzy to translate and help him get around. That they got hung up and were late for something. As the days go by its clear to me that its more than that as a 1 day punishment would be standard for such things and the alternative was not having a full compliment of players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oshie will remain a Cap as long as he wants. The subset of posters who believe his contract is an albatross-in-waiting have a poor understanding of player value. It's not all about money or even points.

Analytics dont measure the human parts of a team game. Oshie and Chara bring personal team connections that dont show in the scoresheet like Orpik before them.

Reactions: Calicaps

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Oshie will turn 35 next year. He hasn't played a full season in years and his production will see a steady decline over the next couple of season, as it often happens when players reach that age. He is emotionally a big part of the team but production-wise, we're very likely going to start seeing a steady decline.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Could mean he missed film or a team meeting or the team bus since it was an away game. Could mean there was some team building event or maybe a charity event in New York that he skipped. Maybe it had to do with Coach Osh, maybe not. If he's in Covid protocol maybe he went out somewhere to eat instead of eating with the team. Why would missing a team event honoring Coach Osh put him in Covid protocol? I have decided I don't have enough information to know what he did so I don't know the exact transgression but I know I don't like it. Still, even though I don't like it I'm not about to say he's tearing the team apart. There is a large spectrum between tearing the team apart and doing something dumb and you're going from six to midnight based on pretty limited info, I think.

AIUI players aren’t permitted to go anywhere or do anything while on the road - travel with the team, practice, play, get medical treatment, short walks, stay in the hotel. That’s basically it. If Kuzy and Sammy both missed a team function - whatever the purpose or nature of that function was - while the team was on the road in NY, and at least one of them ends up in COVID protocol, it strongly suggests they were out doing things they aren’t permitted to do and that’s linked to their attendance at the function.

Either way, pulling that shit (for at least the second time this year) when TJ’s father is dying is surely going to come off as highly disrespectful in the room.

Reactions: txpd

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I'm at the point that Oshie is easily one of the All-Time greatest heart and soul players in the history of hockey

The joy he brings, all the pre-game antics, locker room and hallway fun, lays it on the line every game sacrificing his body without thinking twice
At his age to still be able to bring the child-like innocence of hockey as fun is something I salute

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Oshie will turn 35 next year. He hasn't played a full season in years and his production will see a steady decline over the next couple of season, as it often happens when players reach that age. He is emotionally a big part of the team but production-wise, we're very likely going to start seeing a steady decline.

I mean is this not exactly the same thing we could say about Ovi, sans maybe him playing a full season prior to this year?

His production may some day not merit is salary, but for his overall contribution, his contract is and will remain, a f***ing steal!

We're no where without Oshie in these playoffs.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The thing is that Oshie is still the same player. He's not declining. He only has four years left on his deal anyway, and he's producing just as much as he always has. If he declines in two years or three years, his deal is only a year or two away from expiring, hardly an albatross that can't be managed. As long as he is healthy, i don't see why he can't be a solid 3rd liner and powerplay producer as he ages, if not more. And if he's not healthy, we have LTIR.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

When is this decline supposed to start? Isnt it overdue already? The guy is 2nd on the team in goals again. You stand with moving him if it can be done?

Reactions: HecticGlow

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I have an active avatar bet on the side of "he will be protected". I think the chance they expose him out of some ridiculous cap reason is lower than the chance that I win the Powerball AND the Megabucks in the same week.
Who’s it with again, I was in on the bet too and couldn’t remember with who

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Dang. I forgot that I need to buy tickets for those lotteries this week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad