Player Discussion TJ Oshie

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
We’re almost certainly headed for a rebuild when guys like Ovi do get too old to carry the team on their back – we just don’t have enough youth in the lineup or A-prospects in the farm to segue smoothly into the next era. If that’s in 2 or 3 years time, a guy like Osh wouldn’t be a bad guy to have around the younger guys you’re bringing in.

Even if Oshie enters a decline – and I agree he doesn’t seem to have started yet – he’d still be an effective third line checking, PK2 and PP bumper guy. In other words, by year 6 and 7 he could be out of the top-6 but still making a really important contribution to a contending team. (And I see no reason so far to think he won’t be in the top-6 still.) By year 8 he would be a great role model, and almost certainly a guy a contender would trade for at the TDL for one last run (even if it’s for a fourth line -type role).

I don’t think it’s the huge albatross contract people make it out to be.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
We’re almost certainly headed for a rebuild when guys like Ovi do get too old to carry the team on their back – we just don’t have enough youth in the lineup or A-prospects in the farm to segue smoothly into the next era. If that’s in 2 or 3 years time, a guy like Osh wouldn’t be a bad guy to have around the younger guys you’re bringing in.

Even if Oshie enters a decline – and I agree he doesn’t seem to have started yet – he’d still be an effective third line checking, PK2 and PP bumper guy. In other words, by year 6 and 7 he could be out of the top-6 but still making a really important contribution to a contending team. (And I see no reason so far to think he won’t be in the top-6 still.) By year 8 he would be a great role model, and almost certainly a guy a contender would trade for at the TDL for one last run (even if it’s for a fourth line -type role).

I don’t think it’s the huge albatross contract people make it out to be.
Yep, not at all. Which is why the talk of us having to pay Seattle to take his contract is ridiculous to me. If anything, Seattle would have to overpay for him. Even then, I'd probably deny it anyway. He's that important to this team.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Yep, not at all. Which is why the talk of us having to pay Seattle to take his contract is ridiculous to me. If anything, Seattle would have to overpay for him. Even then, I'd probably deny it anyway. He's that important to this team.

Yeah I think at the time it was signed people where afraid he was already in decline, but so far he have kept up his level the first 4 years of that contract and have been one of the main players in a Stanley cup win.

So far he had a ppg of 0.64 (17/18), 0.78 (18/19), 0.71 (19/20) and 0.82 (20/21). So far he is not slowing down at all and should be able to deliever for a couple more years.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
While exposing Oshie may be the Bellicheky type of thing to do, I think the deleterious effect on our team culture would make it a bad move. GMBM has shown a propensity for finding replacements for guys who might otherwise be exposed and lost.

capsdom86

May 28, 2015
so, any reporting/speculation on Oshie's injury? This is nerve-wracking. If he can't go against Boston then we are in really deep trouble.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
so, any reporting/speculation on Oshie's injury? This is nerve-wracking. If he can't go against Boston then we are in really deep trouble.

Reporting? Are you kidding? He his legs got tangles up with a guy. You can guess knee. He had a dazed lost look on his face leaving. I didnt like that at all. Might have just been thinking about his family though. My guess is that he is legit injured and its not a concussion but thats all I got

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Reporting? Are you kidding? He his legs got tangles up with a guy. You can guess knee. He had a dazed lost look on his face leaving. I didnt like that at all. Might have just been thinking about his family though. My guess is that he is legit injured and its not a concussion but thats all I got

He grabbed his groin on his left leg, and the way he skated it looked like a groin.... the way he skated was he was able to put full weight on it but had to figure out how to move without it hurting, just looked like a groin.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thats not good.

Yeah in my mind thats exactly what I thought when I say him get to the bench. I said to myself "Thats gonna be a month"... not this day to day nonsense.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm trying to find video of the whole thing, including him getting up after the hit. The hit and him going down is here:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah in my mind thats exactly what I thought when I say him get to the bench. I said to myself "Thats gonna be a month"... not this day to day nonsense.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm trying to find video of the whole thing, including him getting up after the hit. The hit and him going down is here:

I saw enough when it happened. Thanks for the refresher though. Ovechkin has been day to day for going on a month. All they are willing to tell you is that the guy isnt playing and its not because he is getting a healthy scratch. Thats it.

This is why I am kind of fed up. If Oshie alone isnt playing, they are in trouble. If Oshie AND Kuzy arent playing, they damaged. If Ov is limited, they are done. Which is why my position is that they are done. If they come out on Saturday with a full lineup, then I feel differently.

My other feeling was that the good vibes from Oshie could wash away the bad vibes from Kuzy and Samsonov but that it killed if Oshie is out too.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I saw enough when it happened. Thanks for the refresher though. Ovechkin has been day to day for going on a month. All they are willing to tell you is that the guy isnt playing and its not because he is getting a healthy scratch. Thats it.

This is why I am kind of fed up. If Oshie alone isnt playing, they are in trouble. If Oshie AND Kuzy arent playing, they damaged. If Ov is limited, they are done. Which is why my position is that they are done. If they come out on Saturday with a full lineup, then I feel differently.

My other feeling was that the good vibes from Oshie could wash away the bad vibes from Kuzy and Samsonov but that it killed if Oshie is out too.
But... why are you so mad about it? It's standard operating procedure: say nothing, be coy, work on it internally. Anything you know, the Bruins know, why would you do that to yourself?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But... why are you so mad about it? It's standard operating procedure: say nothing, be coy, work on it internally. Anything you know, the Bruins know, why would you do that to yourself?

I am mad because Ive reached my limit. In the past day to day meant day to day. Then anything more than two weeks of day to day became week to week. Now its evolved to day to day TFN. It used to be that it was one player or two. Now its reached a point where its all the good players. We have Backstrom and Carlson and Schultz who many not be injured at all mixed in with Ovechkin who was clearly injured and Oshie who appears to be injured all mixed in with the suspended for unknown reasons and then COVID listed with no updates coming players.

They could do a better job of giving fans some idea of what to expect. Right now, all I have is they will dress who they dress when they take the ice.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I am mad because Ive reached my limit. In the past day to day meant day to day. Then anything more than two weeks of day to day became week to week. Now its evolved to day to day TFN. It used to be that it was one player or two. Now its reached a point where its all the good players. We have Backstrom and Carlson and Schultz who many not be injured at all mixed in with Ovechkin who was clearly injured and Oshie who appears to be injured all mixed in with the suspended for unknown reasons and then COVID listed with no updates coming players.

They could do a better job of giving fans some idea of what to expect. Right now, all I have is they will dress who they dress when they take the ice.
I really do mean this in the nicest possible way, but they don't owe fans shit right now except trying their best to win. Unless you're placing bets on the series or maybe a prop bet on the rosters, it simply shouldn't matter.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I really do mean this in the nicest possible way, but they don't owe fans shit right now except trying their best to win. Unless you're placing bets on the series or maybe a prop bet on the rosters, it simply shouldn't matter.

I agree up to a point. If it's an injury that can be targeted by the opposition then it makes sense not to disclose. But if its's a muscle pull etc then just tell us.
I guess with regards to Kuzy and Samsonov they are trying to avoid the media scrum and bad publicity that goes with it.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert

I hope I'm wrong.

Looked like it could be anything from groin on down. Hopefully, he's improving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->