Player Discussion TJ Oshie

Jun 15, 2007
I understand your complaint and your fear, but I don't see the point of worrying about it now. It seems like playing the fortuneteller game. How do you know when/if the contract is going to end up being bad? If you trade too early, and the return sucks, then what? How is that not also a fear?

Why even worry about something like this???

In general you will always appear to be overpaying for top players on a long term deal, especially early on, and at the end of the contract there is always risk which is why they WANT long term deals. If you don't pay that price you never retain or attract talent.

You have to hope they turn out to be a bargain later as the cap goes up and salaries continue to rise. You also have to hope you get plenty of value early so the last few years can be cost-averaged with the rest. You don't pay only for exactly what you need every single year like some kind of lunch menu.

In general I dont think I disagree too much with you then.

Oshie's contract is a concern yes but not one of the pressing ones. I am not worried about it now.

But you are acting like I was the one who started this debate up again with an axe to grind when it was someone else crowing about Oshie shutting the 'haters' up.

Me, one year ago: Oshie's contract is a concern long term.

Txpd, now, in year 2 of the contract: Wow Oshie sure proved you wrong

It just makes no sense.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I am thinking Oshie should give a pregame rally speech

Was wondering about that, not a speech per se, but what effect he would have being in the building.

If in the press box, like injured players are at times, and then being shown on the screen. Crowd would go nuts.

I’d want him to want to do that, not feel obligated if asked. Has to be organic.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Was wondering about that, not a speech per se, but what effect he would have being in the building.

If in the press box, like injured players are at times, and then being shown on the screen. Crowd would go nuts.

I’d want him to want to do that, not feel obligated if asked. Has to be organic.

Just guessing, it might well be that he is not cleared to travel outside his home.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Sincerest condolences to TJ Oshie and his family. I still can't watch the scene with him talking about his dad and getting a little emotional right after the Cup win, without bawling like a baby. They obviously shared a special bond. RIP Coach!

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->