TV: TITANS: "**** Batman!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bollocks. It has more to do with how they're treating their properties on film and tv. Arrow and The Flash being uneven, frustrating or stale. The treatment of Superman by Snider, B v S, Justice League. It's the hardcore DC fans that were more upset about the treatment of their beloved characters than critics.
Oh but let's never criticize the shit show marvel is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The recasts were for 2 characters that wear masks and have voice acting. From what I can gather, that really doesn't affect that show at all. But Chief being recast is whatever, honestly by the time that show comes out, most people will not really care and people have been recast before.

There's this overwhelming hatred for anything DC puts out, people wanting to compare it to Marvel when they shouldn't, but usually those people that do and hate on it, are usually idiots that don't know enough about both companies and their brand of comics to ever really matter. But in a world where critics exist and can ruin movies, it is what it is.

I was skeptical about Titans because of the overwhelming hate it received just based on casting of Starfire, like not even a clip and people saw it out of context and started to hate on it, 100% vitriol. Then the show comes out and those people are quiet, literally just waiting for any misstep.

Meanwhile, people that like the show, want to talk about it, but can't because people just want to hate it.

It's frustrating as a fan of both DC & MC.

Most critics of recent DC properties just want to see something good that does justice to the source material. It's not that people dislike the IP, they dislike how poorly its been handled. DC fans and movie fans should expect better.

Nolan's Batman series was rightfully a critical darling...they're still the standard for superhero movies. Since then there hasn't been a firm hand on the rudder, and it's shown. I mean, what even qualifies as the best live-action thing they've done since Nolan left?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Most critics of recent DC properties just want to see something good that does justice to the source material. It's not that people dislike the IP, they dislike how poorly its been handled. DC fans and movie fans should expect better.

Nolan's Batman series was rightfully a critical darling...they're still the standard for superhero movies. Since then there hasn't been a firm hand on the rudder, and it's shown. I mean, what even qualifies as the best live-action thing they've done since Nolan left?

Wonder Woman was a hit.
I didn't think Man of Steel was as bad as people made it out to be.

It was clear the studios meddled far too much in the BvS movie and even Suicide Squad. Which is why now with Gunn at the helm, it might actually get made the way it should.

The CW properties have mostly been teenage fodder but Gotham has been actually surprisingly good once they permanently removed Jada Smith.

Titans has been decent as well so far, it's a different take but people seem to accept different takes with Marvel more than they do DC.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wonder Woman was a hit.
I didn't think Man of Steel was as bad as people made it out to be.

It was clear the studios meddled far too much in the BvS movie and even Suicide Squad. Which is why now with Gunn at the helm, it might actually get made the way it should.

The CW properties have mostly been teenage fodder but Gotham has been actually surprisingly good once they permanently removed Jada Smith.

Titans has been decent as well so far, it's a different take but people seem to accept different takes with Marvel more than they do DC.

Yeah, Wonder Woman definitely qualifies, I blanked there.

Other than that though, pretty slim pickings. If nothing else, WW showed that when the company puts out a good product, it's not gonna automatically get panned. FWIW I don't think Marvel's TV properties are much different than DC's in terms of quality.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What **** show? :laugh:

That garbage shields show, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Iron man 2, the predictable avengers coming back for the next installment because no one really stays dead, only the easily beatable bad guys...etc.

But it makes money.

Hey, guess what...so did the Transformers franchise.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, Wonder Woman definitely qualifies, I blanked there.

Other than that though, pretty slim pickings. If nothing else, WW showed that when the company puts out a quality product, it's not gonna automatically get panned.
It looks like they really took proper care of making Shazam (re-shoots, updating the suit) and Aquaman (hiring a fantastic director, good writers, solid cast).

Oh, then there's the Joker standalone movie. That one might be a game changer. Not everything needs to tie into each other.

Gunn could also right the ship with Suicide Squad 2 and take helm of another project.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It looks like they really took proper care of making Shazam (re-shoots, updating the suit) and Aquaman (hiring a fantastic director, good writers, solid cast).

Oh, then there's the Joker standalone movie. That one might be a game changer. Not everything needs to tie into each other.

Gunn could also right the ship with Suicide Squad 2 and take helm of another project.

There's definitely hope. I liked tone of the Shazam trailer, I trust Phoenix to do something interesting with Joker, and Gunn's track record could make him an ideal option to resurrect Suicide Squad. Scrapping the shared universe idea was the right move, at least for now.

But so far, I think the DC criticism is generally well-earned. They need to dig themselves out the hole they dug themselves when it comes to public opinion.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Love Teen Titans and Titans in general. Was excited about the possibilities of this show but the trailers did not look very good.

Finally gave the first episode a watch and it was okay. Robin and Raven stuff was fine.

Will wait to see more on Starfire and Beast Boy. Don’t really like her design and her first scene using her powers was meh.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree--pushing the anti-hero thing too much

The problem is that there's nothing anti-hero about it. It's just comes off as violence/bloody for the sake of violence. Especially if you've seen the animated Teen Titans movies (not the show), which delved into Raven's background in a way that I doubt this show will have the budget to do. I had issues Jason Todd (though admittedly it's been a while since I saw him on the animated show) being so violent as well. It comes off as mere "shock value". Perhaps the posters more familiar with the character could elaborate a little.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ugh...It's like it's still done by CW. End the previous episode on a cliffhanger, do a filler episode next week... I didn't really care about Hawk & Dove the last time and didn't care about them now.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ugh...It's like it's still done by CW. End the previous episode on a cliffhanger, do a filler episode next week... I didn't really care about Hawk & Dove the last time and didn't care about them now.

I did not mind it

With Hawk and Dove in season 2 they needed to give them something more this season

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
So this is will be one of what like 20 comic book movies/tv shows coming within the next year? Will this trend ever die?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So this is will be one of what like 20 comic book movies/tv shows coming within the next year? Will this trend ever die?

It's already out...

And no, it will not end because it's popular. Time to go slice your wrists and leave this plane of existence because it will never end. *cue evil laughter*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad