Recalled/Assigned: Tinordi sent down (March 29. 2013)

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think people continue to mistake what O'byrne could be for what he is. Also, I think a lot of people have trouble looking past the fact that he is 6'5. If it wasn't for the height, his name would never get mentioned. Outside of a few string of games, O'byrne hasn't played any better than he did while he was here. He has become this mythical figure only because Habs fans need to lament over every player lost whether good or bad as well as the general obsession of with size due some random insecurity habs fans have.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
A 6'5 mobile dman who blocks shots and can play the body, drop the gloves....yeah, who would want that? He sucks. He's everything Boullon is, plus a foot.

He does suck. Colorado fans don't even want him and their defense is one of the worst in the league.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
very good points. was at that game against sabres and it really looked like he was sort of out of place. he needs to find his spots in the NHL. Just an observation ; our physical DMans are ALL very mobile for stay at home style, they can join the rush or make a comeback after a bad pinch - that's our force ... but not tinordi, he's not like that. For that kind of player to be really effective and become great, they have to be phenomenal at positioning imho. Relies a bit on his reach to make up for it... im really on the fence with him. he could prove me wrong or turn into komisarek 2.0 it all depends on his brain.

It will be interesting but after watching him play 2 full seasons in London I fear we are getting Komi 2.0

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
It will be interesting but after watching him play 2 full seasons in London I fear we are getting Komi 2.0

I don't think so. Much better skater, bigger plus a better fighter. Puck skills about the same. Hockey IQ, I would give the edge on Tinordi at the same age.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL

Well if we take your opinions seriously, PKs new contract is an overpayment and Markov is washed up and should be injured by now.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
PKs new contract is an overpayment.

No one that watches hockey on a regular basis, or doesn't ride a short bus would say something like that.

For his sake, I hope it was just a weak troll. If not, there may be some government assistance coming his way.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

I'm sure you watched more London games than I... but by all accounts his second year was great! He was being considered the best defensive dman in the OHL.

I have seen him a lot in Hamilton, however, and he seems to have come as adverised. Big, fast, responsible with the puck. My only problem is that he isn't as physical as some may think. That might change with experience and weight gain, but he might be more of a Hal Gill with speed (which would be ridiculously good!).

Still able to clear the crease and step up when needed, but he won't be looking for it.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I'm sure you watched more London games than I... but by all accounts his second year was great! He was being considered the best defensive dman in the OHL.

I have seen him a lot in Hamilton, however, and he seems to have come as adverised. Big, fast, responsible with the puck. My only problem is that he isn't as physical as some may think. That might change with experience and weight gain, but he might be more of a Hal Gill with speed (which would be ridiculously good!).

Still able to clear the crease and step up when needed, but he won't be looking for it.

Every home game in London. His positioning needs to improve and his puck possesion when being pressured needs to improve. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread he needs to worry about playing the puck rather than trying for a big hit. It completly takes him out of the play and ends up in odd man rush situations.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Every home game in London. His positioning needs to improve and his puck possesion when being pressured needs to improve. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread he needs to worry about playing the puck rather than trying for a big hit. It completly takes him out of the play and ends up in odd man rush situations.

Perhaps it's more logical to look at his play in Hamilton + Montreal than the CHL. And if we are being honest, I didn't see a lot of Tinordi going out of his way to lay out someone with a big hit, and causing a 2 on 1 this year with the Bulldogs. (aka a Phaneuf)

His play in the pros so far leads me to believe that the Komisarek talk is just some repressed memories from Habs fans that fear the worse. :laugh:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

He was pretty good with his stick in his first two game.

hogtownhabsfan*

I've been the biggest Tinordi fan for a while. Have thought he was exactly what this team needed, wanted him on draft day, have ranked him higher than Beaulieu as our top D prospect the last couple of years, etc...

The one thing I was a little concerned with, was that like Subban when he came up, his rangyness can hurt him. He's able to travel short distances so quickly that he occasionally takes himself way out of the play in the defensive zone. Haven't seen it happen yet in his two NHL games, but it'll probably rear it's head at some point, but once he quiets it down and simplifies his defensive game, he going to be a defensive monster. Also needs to add about 20 pounds of strength. His offensive game is a work in progress, not sure if he'll ever reach "good" status, but he'll at the very least be comparable to Gorges offensively, won't be a blackhole like Gill or anything, but he has shown flashes of more, particularly with his ability to skate the puck up the ice and make great passes.

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
I sure hope that JT gets more then 12mins TOI tonite!! The only way the guy will learn something is by playing. Making mistakes is a part of the learning process so I sure hope MT plays him.

We're in a good spot to make the playoffs so far, so for 2-3 games give Tinordi 15-17mins per game to give everyone the opportunity to watch him play and better see where his game is at.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I think people continue to mistake what O'byrne could be for what he is. Also, I think a lot of people have trouble looking past the fact that he is 6'5. If it wasn't for the height, his name would never get mentioned. Outside of a few string of games, O'byrne hasn't played any better than he did while he was here. He has become this mythical figure only because Habs fans need to lament over every player lost whether good or bad as well as the general obsession of with size due some random insecurity habs fans have.

I don't particularly like O'Byrne, but you've got to tone it down with the "random insecurity some Habs fans have". Every successful team counts on a couple of d-men who can help clearing the crease. Tuesday's OT goal by Ott is just another example of how we need someone who can get the job done in the crease. And it happened several time this season. Hell, this is the 2nd time a guy like Ott scores on us because of that.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009

Why not Gill 2.0 with a little better skating and a small increase in mean streak?
That is his potential upside I think

hogtownhabsfan*

Why not Gill 2.0 with a little better skating and a small increase in mean streak?
That is his potential upside I think

Just a heads up, I have that poster on ignore, he's a troll and has been hating since day 1.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

I've watched several of his games both in the AHL and in the CHL, including the memorial cup last season, and it couldn't be any further from the truth.

Think about a more defensive-minded Braydon Coburn.

hogtownhabsfan*

I've watched several of his games both in the AHL and in the CHL, including the memorial cup last season, and it couldn't be any further from the truth.

Think about a more defensive-minded Braydon Coburn.

Or a 6'6" meaner Gorges who scraps.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I don't particularly like O'Byrne, but you've got to tone it down with the "random insecurity some Habs fans have". Every successful team counts on a couple of d-men who can help clearing the crease. Tuesday's OT goal by Ott is just another example of how we need someone who can get the job done in the crease. And it happened several time this season. Hell, this is the 2nd time a guy like Ott scores on us because of that.

Tuesday's OT goal by Ott is just another example that Markov can't spend the full 2 minutes of a PK on the ice anymore (I don't even think there once was a time when that would have been a good idea). A fresher D would have cleared that puck in the corner even before Ott got to it. It's not always about size...

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Tuesday's OT goal by Ott is just another example that Markov can't spend the full 2 minutes of a PK on the ice anymore (I don't even think there once was a time when that would have been a good idea). A fresher D would have cleared that puck in the corner even before Ott got to it. It's not always about size...

Tell that to LA, Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh. They all have one thing in common;

LA: Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene
Boston: McQuaid, Boychuk, Chara
Chicago: Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Sopel
Pittsburgh: Scuderi, Orpik, Gill

We have Emelin. That's it. And Tinordi who is a green rookie. It just doesn't cut it. Either Gorges, Diaz or another body have to be traded for a guy who can make this zone HIS place. Especially in the playoffs, it gets even more obvious. You need skilled puck movers. But your defensive guys have to be able to clear the crease at this level. It's why even if I love Bouillon, I'd have waited before re-signing him, or at least, I would entertain different options if I'm to keep him.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Tell that to LA, Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh. They all have one thing in common;

LA: Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene
Boston: McQuaid, Boychuk, Chara
Chicago: Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Sopel
Pittsburgh: Scuderi, Orpik, Gill

We have Emelin. That's it. And Tinordi who is a green rookie. It just doesn't cut it. Either Gorges, Diaz or another body have to be traded for a guy who can make this zone HIS place. Especially in the playoffs, it gets even more obvious. You need skilled puck movers. But your defensive guys have to be able to clear the crease at this level. It's why even if I love Bouillon, I'd have waited before re-signing him, or at least, I would entertain different options if I'm to keep him.

Scuderi and Sopel have no place in your list, Sopel was soft and Scuderi play exactly like Gorges. Bouillon is more of a crease clearer that both these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad