Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
This is tragic!! We need to go find a replacement for Marincin ASAP, the guys a hot mess. I want Lilj on the ice with Sandin over Mari, give me a break. Awful.

This doesn't jive with your insistence that Sandin had to stay in the Marlies this year so that he wasn't buried on the third pair. Why would the same logic not apply to Lilijegren? Not that I agree with that take, since implementing young players deeper into the lineup has been the Leafs development strategy for years, but that seems contradictory.

Side note: it isn't "tragic" because Marincin will be replaced by Dermott, also there is no chance Mike Babcock would roll out a pairing featuring two rookie d men.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This doesn't jive with your insistence that Sandin had to stay in the Marlies this year so that he wasn't buried on the third pair. Why would the same logic not apply to Lilijegren? Not that I agree with that take, since implementing young players deeper into the lineup has been the Leafs development strategy for years, but that seems contradictory.

Side note: it isn't "tragic" because Marincin will be replaced by Dermott, also there is no chance Mike Babcock would roll out a pairing featuring two rookie d men.

Major concern with Dermott on the right side. He isn't good that way and it should be avoided. I don't know how they want to navigate this but they certainly need a fair strategy. Marincin is not as good as Lilj. Sandin deserves his fair shot and most importantly. Dermott should not sacrifice his development for another.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dermy played both sides as a kid and in junior. He is fine both ways. The real issue is having 2 puck moving guys on ice at same time. Dangerous. Marinicin sucks bad like really bad as in not NHL level d. But at least he plays a defender role. I would rather have Holl with Dermy and let Sandin play big minutes with Marlies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
In my own way Im happy Liljegren gets one more year in the AHL. He has had a lot of adversity(missed games) and needs a good run of games to find his confidence and form. Sandin came out of nowhere and we cant afford both guys on the bigs right now anyway. Reilly, Barrie, Muzzin and Sandin give the Leafs an awful lot of firepower back there. He can finally put it all together and we could seem him late in the season if we have injuries or trades etc.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
In my own way Im happy Liljegren gets one more year in the AHL. He has had a lot of adversity(missed games) and needs a good run of games to find his confidence and form. Sandin came out of nowhere and we cant afford both guys on the bigs right now anyway. Reilly, Barrie, Muzzin and Sandin give the Leafs an awful lot of firepower back there. He can finally put it all together and we could seem him late in the season if we have injuries or trades etc.

Maybe he's a late bloomer like Stralman

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

What do you mean by can't afford? Liljegren ELC kicks in this year. They should give him a run and see how he does.

I mean, If Timashov has to rotate with Petan whose an absolute wreck in the bottom 6, I don't see why Liljegren can't get in an audition rotation himself.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Wouldn't be the worse situation if he develops a bit later and we get a decent low-value second contract for an extended period of time. And excels afterwards.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Did he specify top pair/who his partner would be?
Mark Rakham the person who watches the Marlies regularly, thinks the defence will be like this for the opening game.

Defensemen
Teemu Kivihalme – Timothy Liljegren
Kristians Rubins – Jordan Schmaltz
Kevin Gravel – Jesper Lindgren
Ben Harpur – Ryan Johnston

There is no excuse for Keefe to not put Lilly on the 1st PP. If Keefe uses 4 forwards again, then it should be Lilly on the 1st PP, and Lindgren on the 2nd PP.
If we are using 2 defenceman, then it should be Lilly with Kivi, and Lindgren with whoever.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Its make or break for Lilly. If he doesn't dominate this year and show he's ahead of his AHL competition, he will probably never become an NHL regular.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
They had other options for just cap purposes. Why would they do that to him and Babs say he is excited that Lillypad is on the team? I don't care what the media people said, he is ready. To my eye at least, he was one of the best defenders we had out there in pre.
It was a cap move, pure and simple.

They needed his salary and bonus money to bring them as close as possible to the opening day cap plus LTIR limit -- and they made it within $11,000 on a limit if over $90+-million. It's a very close shave.

Now that they've sent him down they have the maximum cap room to call up other replacements.

It could not have worked the other way around.

Reactions: hector morrison

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What do you mean by can't afford? Liljegren ELC kicks in this year. They should give him a run and see how he does.

I mean, If Timashov has to rotate with Petan whose an absolute wreck in the bottom 6, I don't see why Liljegren can't get in an audition rotation himself.

Sorry I meant two young guys playing if they aren't ready. In other word our defense isnt that great that we can afford to carry 2 guys if they aren't ready yet.

Reactions: Havoc

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
There is no excuse for Keefe to not put Lilly on the 1st PP. If Keefe uses 4 forwards again, then it should be Lilly on the 1st PP, and Lindgren on the 2nd PP.
If we are using 2 defenceman, then it should be Lilly with Kivi, and Lindgren with whoever.

Well said.

After being the top D against Charlotte last year Liljegren has earned a legitimate look at the 1st PP. Given that he’s the only true prospect on a D core full of older vets and that Sandin is in the NHL, it’s an absolute no brainer to give Liljegren a shot on the top PP.

Was watching Syracuse vs Rochester earlier today and Groulx is giving Foote every opportunity on their PP and with offensive zone starts to get him going, even though Cal was having a poor game he kept sending him out there. Groulx knows exactly how to get a prospect going and I hope Keefe can be the same type of coach when it comes to development of young players.

Reactions: stickty111

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Lillypad? I'm going to puke. Can we not give our players wimpy effeminate nicknames forged out of laziness and a complete lack of originality? That's something you call an opposing player to mock him, much like I will mock Maxipad Domi later tonight when he faces the Leafs. You might as well be calling him Tiny Tim and playing tiptoe through the tulips when he steps on the ice, or Timothy Lil' Kim and then chanting for his Magicstick.

A nickname is supposed to augment the character of the player not make him seem lamer and wimpier than he already is. "Killer" Doug Gilmour, see how that's done? Because he has the eyes of a killer. "Uncle Leo" because his name is Leo and he annoys opposing players continuously like Jerry's annoying uncle. There's an art to a good nickname, and there is no artistry in calling this guy Lillypad. Come on, does anybody get intimidated by a floating leaf that frogs crap on? Here's a list of nicknames to be used instead, some Mod can pick one and then fix the thread title before our first round prospect reads this and demands a trade: Mad Dog, The Crippler, Dr Doom, The Kraken, Chainsaw, Tank

Also, from now on it's Tim Liljegren not "Timothy" like he's some 4 year old in a sailor's outfit. I'm certain Tim Horton would have punched you in the face and taken your lunch money if you called him Timothy Horton.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Lillypad? I'm going to puke. Can we not give our players wimpy effeminate nicknames forged out of laziness and a complete lack of originality? That's something you call an opposing player to mock him, much like I will mock Maxipad Domi later tonight when he faces the Leafs. You might as well be calling him Tiny Tim and playing tiptoe through the tulips when he steps on the ice, or Timothy Lil' Kim and then chanting for his Magicstick.

A nickname is supposed to augment the character of the player not make him seem lamer and wimpier than he already is. "Killer" Doug Gilmour, see how that's done? Because he has the eyes of a killer. "Uncle Leo" because his name is Leo and he annoys opposing players continuously like Jerry's annoying uncle. There's an art to a good nickname, and there is no artistry in calling this guy Lillypad. Come on, does anybody get intimidated by a floating leaf that frogs crap on? Here's a list of nicknames to be used instead, some Mod can pick one and then fix the thread title before our first round prospect reads this and demands a trade: Mad Dog, The Crippler, Dr Doom, The Kraken, Chainsaw, Tank

Also, from now on it's Tim Liljegren not "Timothy" like he's some 4 year old in a sailor's outfit. I'm certain Tim Horton would have punched you in the face and taken your lunch money if you called him Timothy Horton.
1. The Lilypad nickname is what Babcock calls him.
2. Timothy is his name and is likely what he prefers to be called.
3. Tim Horton wasn't called Timothy because that's not his name. His name was actually Miles. Why he was called Tim idk cuz his middle name is Gilbert.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dermy played both sides as a kid and in junior. He is fine both ways. The real issue is having 2 puck moving guys on ice at same time. Dangerous. Marinicin sucks bad like really bad as in not NHL level d. But at least he plays a defender role. I would rather have Holl with Dermy and let Sandin play big minutes with Marlies.

He is a quality defender whom I find stronger on his strong side. I think if you want to develop a player best you work with his strengths not try and force the player to develop while also paying that extra attention it takes to play the opposite.

Sandin needs a year of physical growth and strength + 1 year of more minutes. 9 games and back down is what I think should happen.

Lilj needs a shot, he is responsible defensively.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Its make or break for Lilly. If he doesn't dominate this year and show he's ahead of his AHL competition, he will probably never become an NHL regular.
For some perspective, a good benchmark for top 4 potential is to be a dominant AHL player in their 22YO season. Past that, they're in all likelihood at best a bottom pairing player. Liljegren is in his 20YO season right now. He basically has three seasons before he hits that threshold. It's way, way too early to talk about make or break.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
1. The Lilypad nickname is what Babcock calls him.
2. Timothy is his name and is likely what he prefers to be called.
3. Tim Horton wasn't called Timothy because that's not his name. His name was actually Miles. Why he was called Tim idk cuz his middle name is Gilbert.

Miles Gilbert Horton? Dear God, why would his parents do that to him?

Given the choice of those names, Tim in a walk. I’d prefer to be called Fallula before any of Miles or Gilbert.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Call this man up
Get rid of Ceci

I'm starting to see why they didn't like him in Ottawa.
But I think the issue stems as much from 'Where do you put him'?
I would love to see 'Lil and Sandin play together but it's not happening this season.
They're going to do the Rookie + Vet pairing thing and Sandin has the job.
...and they won't throw em onto the top pairing.

If it were me I'd Have Rielly / Barrie on the top pair so Cici gets less exposed, but eh.
I'm totally with you but the way they've got things structured, I can't see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad