Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He is a quality defender whom I find stronger on his strong side. I think if you want to develop a player best you work with his strengths not try and force the player to develop while also paying that extra attention it takes to play the opposite.

It's not forcing anything. He played the right side on the Marlies, in junior, and occasionally with the Leafs. Not sure where you get the impression that he needs to be on the left.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's not forcing anything. He played the right side on the Marlies, in junior, and occasionally with the Leafs. Not sure where you get the impression that he needs to be on the left.

I have the is feeling Dermott is going to be a discarded Leaf and will become very good for someone else at a steal of a price. Historically the Leafs let go good D.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I have the is feeling Dermott is going to be a discarded Leaf and will become very good for someone else at a steal of a price. Historically the Leafs let go good D.

After the 2020 season, we could be potentially looking at this:

Rielly - RD
Dermott - RD
Sandin - Liljegren

We need inexpensive, young talent. We need to keep Dermott.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Rielly - RD
Dermott - RD
Sandin - Liljegren

Dermott isn't being dealt unless he needs to be included in a deal for a greater piece...Not sure of the Cap forecast ,but I doubt Barrie is kept and if the Leafs are sucking at the deadline ,he should be dealt. I doubt that happens,but ya never know!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dermott isn't being dealt unless he needs to be included in a deal for a greater piece...Not sure of the Cap forecast ,but I doubt Barrie is kept and if the Leafs are sucking at the deadline ,he should be dealt. I doubt that happens,but ya never know!

We can not afford a "greater piece" without trading a big name player. Keep in mind Rielly is going to get paid big bucks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

With Barrie, Ceci, Muzzin set to become UFA's, how do you see the Leafs walking away from a cost controlled young homegrown defenseman?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
With Barrie, Ceci, Muzzin set to become UFA's, how do you see the Leafs walking away from a cost controlled young homegrown defenseman?

If one of the above players is not staying we have other issues. I would hope we try and keep two of those rentals, I mean, I hope this doesn't turn into a high turnaround team. That doesn't work in business with employees either. Regardless, when Dermott gets paid, I am guessing it's going to be a lot if given the chance. If not given the chance, will he simply pull the Marner and Nylander card and show advanced stats and usage etc? Can of worms.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Rielly - RD
Dermott - RD
Sandin - Liljegren

We could easily do

Muzz. Barrie
Rielly. Dermott
Sandin. Lily or 6th D

I am keeping an eye on the pie situation as a long shot.
He and Tavares are super close apparently and bob has brought him up x2 unprovoked

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I agree but he already been unspectacular IMO so if he hasnt improved in his third year I dont see him recovering. His preseason was horrid. He looked like our worst D.
How anyone who watched the games can think someone other than Harpur, Rubins or Schmaltz were the worst I'll never know

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We could easily do

Muzz. Barrie
Rielly. Dermott
Sandin. Lily or 6th D

I am keeping an eye on the pie situation as a long shot.
He and Tavares are super close apparently and bob has brought him up x2 unprovoked
Pietrangelo, sign Dermott cheap hopefully an fill the other RD spot with whoever near league minimum. Split Rielly and Pietrangelo between the young kids in the top 4 and let Dermott carry the third pair.

Sandin-Pietrangelo
Rielly-Liljegren
Dermott-???

-Would cost roughly the same as this years d-core, maybe a little more expensive if you pay Dermott around $2M on a short term deal. Hopefully you develop Sandin/Liljegren into a Ekholm/Ellis situation.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
How anyone who watched the games can think someone other than Harpur, Rubins or Schmaltz were the worst I'll never know

Schmaltz was wayyyyy better than Lil in the preseason. Harpur actually did things, good and bad. Lilly couldn't even make a first pass, he turned the puck over a bunch, and he had a hard time covering defensively - all while playing less than 15 mins most games. It was pretty clear to me.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think we're set up fine still. Rielly will likely have Dermott as a partner next season. Sandin playing second pairing with Muzzin/Barrie/Pietrangelo or whomever we use our money on. That leaves a third pairing with (hopefully) Liljegren on it. It's not the top-end group that we have now, but it's still good.

Reactions: Menzinger

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Sandin Dermott

He will be used as an injury replacement player when Dermott comes back and then will take over as Muzzin's replacement next year..

Dermott Barrie
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Ceci

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Leafs need to stop letting UFA's walk for nothing, even Ceci could get us a late round pick. If we cant sign them, trade them before they walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad