Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think you want all four for depth and a playoff run if we still in the race.

Barrie Ceci Holl Liljegren

HC7

May 2, 2018
Liljegren has been on an absolute tear lately. After 4 points in 3 consecutive games this weekend, Timmy now has 11 points in his last 10 games.

Dermott was called up as a 21 year old with 18 points in 28 games.
Liljegren is currently 20, and has 22 points in 31 games.

TOI isn't readily available, but he's been the #1 D for the Marlies all year. This season he looks like he has really taken a step. I'm not sure he's better than Ceci, but I think given the chance he definitely could be. I think he's knocking on the door, and is more than ready to step into the NHL. When people talk about trading Kappy, and Johnsson for a D, they need to take a step back and remember we have 2 very high end D prospects knocking on the door.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lindgren and Aberg were by far and away best Marlies. it was not even close. I did leave early so missed last 10 minutes of 3rd on my way to Scotia.
On Sunday Marlies were dominated but Lily did produce an outstanding come for behind 3rd period in garbage time.
To say he is NHL ready though is a huge stretch here. He is progressing though.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Another assist for Lilly which raises his point streak to 6.
He is losing the favoritism battle to Sandin though, as for some stupid reason he was dropped to the 2nd unit. Sandin returns and gets handed the top PP.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
When people talk about trading Kappy, and Johnsson for a D, they need to take a step back and remember we have 2 very high end D prospects knocking on the door.

Its more about trading them for a high end RD and their cap space (include Kerfoot on that list). There are also multiple wingers who could take their spot at a fraction of the cost (Engvall, Mikheyev).

Rielly RHD
Sandin Holl
Muzzin Lili

One way or another the Leafs will need that cap space.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He is losing the favoritism battle to Sandin though, as for some stupid reason he was dropped to the 2nd unit. Sandin returns and gets handed the top PP.

I see Lily as a steady D without top pairing upside.

Sandin will be a NHL top pairing 22+ minute a night D in a couple years.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Sandin is a elite pp quarter back himself. Not a knock on lilijgren I think sandin has better offensive tools. Either one of them can play on the top unit imo. With lilijgren already getting top pk minutes maybe the marlies coach wants to ease up in his minutes as lilijgren had to carry our defense for 2-3 weeks that sandin didnt play.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I see Lily as a steady D without top pairing upside.

Sandin will be a NHL top pairing 22+ minute a night D in a couple years.
Sandin has a ton of work to do defensively. Also he has done nothing to suggest he has top pairing upside, but Lilly doesn't.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sandin is a elite pp quarter back himself. Not a knock on lilijgren I think sandin has better offensive tools. Either one of them can play on the top unit imo. With lilijgren already getting top pk minutes maybe the marlies coach wants to ease up in his minutes as lilijgren had to carry our defense for 2-3 weeks that sandin didnt play.
Lilly has proved this season his tools offensively are right there with Sandin. It's just clear biases. Lilly got demoted last season to work on his defensive game. Okay thats fine but why doesn't Sandin get the same treatment. I can't help but think Dubas is favoring his draft pick and telling the coaches to put Sandin there.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Lilly has proved this season his tools offensively are right there with Sandin. It's just clear biases. Lilly got demoted last season to work on his defensive game. Okay thats fine but why doesn't Sandin get the same treatment. I can't help but think Dubas is favoring his draft pick and telling the coaches to put Sandin there.
If dubas is being overly involved with the marlies(I.e dictating player personnel and usage to the coaches) than its definately an issue. The marlies should be run independently by the marlies GM. Dubas had full autonomy of the team when Lou was full time GM here and the same opportunity should be given to the current GM and coaches.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If dubas is being overly involved with the marlies(I.e dictating player personnel and usage to the coaches) than its definately an issue. The marlies should be run independently by the marlies GM. Dubas had full autonomy of the team when Lou was full time GM here and the same opportunity should be given to the current GM and coaches.
With Keefe you could at least pretend it was his decision as he had coached and seen both guys play before. Moore had no reason to switch up a solid PP unit to insert a guy he had never coached before, unless told do so by his boss.

This explains it well.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the GM of the Leafs has final say on any and all player personal decisions on the Marlies , the Marlies GM title means little to nothing since minor league teams are not run independently and never have been

Lou ran both teams and now Dubas does , if Dubas wants certain players to play specific roles then that's how it's going to be or he will replace the coach .

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
This certainly came from the top. I don't mean Dubas. I mean President Trump. Or maybe the "Deep State". There is no way that the coach of the Marlies could have looked at his PP going 2 for 18 over the past 5 games and decide to change things on his own. I am sure he - the coach - resisted the change. They probably had to cut off one of his fingers. Poor guy.

Reactions: MJK and LeafChief

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Lillypad???
Boys this kid needs a better moniker. We have Mango ... Souperman and Lillypad?!?!
Let's think of something really cool. If he was a rapper I am sure he would have been Lil G. :D

Reactions: supermann_98

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
the GM of the Leafs has final say on any and all player personal decisions on the Marlies , the Marlies GM title means little to nothing since minor league teams are not run independently and never have been

Lou ran both teams and now Dubas does , if Dubas wants certain players to play specific roles then that's how it's going to be or he will replace the coach .

Not true.

The assistant GM still runs the pure AHL players/contracts component. While AHL teams mostly consist of NHL contracts of depth-players and prospects given by the NHL GM, the AHL GM can still make decisions/moves to satisfy their AHL team.

For example:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not true.

The assistant GM still runs the pure AHL players/contracts component. While AHL teams mostly consist of NHL contracts of depth-players and prospects given by the NHL GM, the AHL GM can still make decisions/moves to satisfy their AHL team.

For example:

Not true.

For example:

i don't give a damn how a blogger tries to spin signings , the fact is everything gets approved through the Leafs GM or higher

the Marlies are an extension of the Leafs , they're not an independent organization and every player that gets paid by the Leaf falls under the umbrella of the parent club , now this doesn't mean the Leafs GM is doing all the work in scouting/signing players but it does mean everything gets run by him

and i have no idea why people think the Leafs/Marlies are separate entities that operate independently , it's truly baffling

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This certainly came from the top. I don't mean Dubas. I mean President Trump. Or maybe the "Deep State". There is no way that the coach of the Marlies could have looked at his PP going 2 for 18 over the past 5 games and decide to change things on his own. I am sure he - the coach - resisted the change. They probably had to cut off one of his fingers. Poor guy.

Why are you including the game(s) Liljegren missed?

Here’s Liljegren’s actual PP numbers on the Marlies top unit while Sandin was at the WJC:

The Marlies had a solid 24% PP connect rate over these 7 games with Liljegren. Liljegren himself had 5 powerplay points in 7 games.

Sure sounds like a legitimate reason to move him off the top unit.

Reactions: stickty111

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Sandin did proceed to get 2 pp assists this game and has 14 points in 20 games. Not too shabby himself.

They are left and right shot defensemen... maybe the argument should be both should be on the #1 pp? They are our prize prospects developing in the AHL afterall.

Reactions: supermann_98

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
i don't give a damn how a blogger tries to spin signings , the fact is everything gets approved through the Leafs GM or higher

the Marlies are an extension of the Leafs , they're not an independent organization and every player that gets paid by the Leaf falls under the umbrella of the parent club , now this doesn't mean the Leafs GM is doing all the work in scouting/signing players but it does mean everything gets run by him

and i have no idea why people think the Leafs/Marlies are separate entities that operate independently , it's truly baffling

Where on earth are you getting your 'facts' from? You're telling me not to listen one blogger's 'opinion', but to listen to your 'opinion' that has no merit instead? You've essentially repeated multiple times that AHL GMs do nothing of significance. Life must be really easy for the 30+ AHL GMs collecting those big paychecks lol.

I never said that the Marlies were an 'independent organization'. Obviously there is a hierarchy. The NHL GM does majority of the work since most of the AHL team is given their players through NHL drafting and signings. But when it comes to pure AHL contracts, they are are signed by the AHL GM and they are fully responsible for those contracts (not the NHL GM). Those signed AHL players CANNOT play for the Leafs at all, unless signed to a NHL contract. Giving 100% credit to the NHL GM (Lou) for the AHL GM's moves (Dubas) is like giving all the credit to the President of hockey operations (Shanny) instead of the NHL GM (Lou).

Back on topic though: Lilijegren is going to be a solid even-strength & PK minute munching RHD. Similar to how Rasmus Anderssen is doing in Calgary IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad