Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

member 157595

Excellent nickname, which is all that is really important.

Reactions: qqaz

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm okay with him with the big club.

As long as he gets games he'll develop.

You don't stop developing once you hit the NHL, and you don't get used to the NHL game in the AHL.

It isn't going to hurt his development.

Either he has the talent or he doesn't and he won't get any more talented in the AHL.

I don't disagree. I think your last paragraph isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. I am much harsher I suppose.

Anyway, whatever helps the team in the long run.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He needs to be an nhl player for us by next year so without question he needs some time in the show this year to get a feel for it.
Can’t have him spend a full year in the ahl this year and then just pray he somehow can jump into a full time role next season.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't disagree. I think your last paragraph isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. I am much harsher I suppose.

Anyway, whatever helps the team in the long run.

I just think "they rushed him" is a handy excuse for "he just wasn't as talented as we thought when we drafted him."

I thought he looked okay, although I thought he looked nervous. You can overcome nerves, and practice will make you better, but it won't give you more talent, which is something you have or don't have.

Reactions: francis246

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
latest

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
5 games maybe and then he goes down unless he finds another gear. I could see him up to stay at the end of the year but 3rd pairing minutes may not be his best development path. I can't see Babs making that comment if the kid isn't going to play.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm okay with him with the big club.

As long as he gets games he'll develop.

You don't stop developing once you hit the NHL, and you don't get used to the NHL game in the AHL.

It isn't going to hurt his development.

Either he has the talent or he doesn't and he won't get any more talented in the AHL.
Absolutely, this is a good thing for his development.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'm as little concerned about this. Smart teams are gonna work him over on the dump and chase. Time to put on your big boy pants Lily. His nickname isn't helping my concern. Hahaha

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Are Apollo and Sandman not considered masculine and awesome? Here's what springs to my mind for Apollo:

images
images

And Sandman:
images
images
That would be great, but unfortunately, they’re names are based on the Chordettes and 1 L Apolo Ohno.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If he stays up, it's for the purpose of taking a regular shift on the 3rd pairing. There's no chance they would keep him here to sit in the press box or rotate in and out of the lineup.

I would prefer to see what he can do at this level for the first few games than to go with the safer bet in Marincin.

Reactions: qqaz

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I just think "they rushed him" is a handy excuse for "he just wasn't as talented as we thought when we drafted him."

I thought he looked okay, although I thought he looked nervous. You can overcome nerves, and practice will make you better, but it won't give you more talent, which is something you have or don't have.

Liljegren is missing the high end processor that Sandin possesses but he is a good skater and physically very strong able to separate forwards from the puck. His first pass is reliable and he can shoot the puck. Not offensively creative but he has the capacity to do everything else well.

Higher floor lower ceiling D man. Basically a #4-6 guy.

A decent first round pick but not a homerun like Sandin.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Liljegren is missing the high end processor that Sandin possesses but he is a good skater and physically very strong able to separate forwards from the puck. His first pass is reliable and he can shoot the puck. Not offensively creative but he has the capacity to do everything else well.

Higher floor lower ceiling D man. Basically a #4-6 guy.

A decent first round pick but not a homerun like Sandin.

Looked like he did. They know better than that. Confidence boost,more jingle in his pocket, hangs with the big team guys, familiarity, frienships and most of all it won’t be out of the ordinary after a few day,weeks and then you have comfortable.

Then you send him down if he still has nerves. I think it will really light a confidence in him

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Oh really? I could have sworn he was just a paper cutout cap cardboard.. Babs can keep him around to practice with the big boys or play him. Its great for him either way.

I agree that it’s great that he’s proving the hater posters like biotk wrong by actually making the NHL legitimately.

That said, it’s not good for Liljegren’s development to take line rushes (on the left side, no less) with Justin Holl, and then warm the bench and play every three or four games. Like, really not good.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad