Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Thanks to the other poster for mentioning this. Mitch Brown wrote a great article of Lilly is NHL ready. I will put in my own words.

Mitch said when Lilly was drafted, he was an offense first player with no defence. The turnaround since then has been amazing.
Lilly's best attributes are his decision making and defense. Lilly's off puck defence is terrific. He is aware of what's happening in the zone, and makes the right read on where the play is going. Lilly's on puck defence is also helpful to his team. He closes on players quickly which ends the play. He is also very good in loose puck recoveries. He takes routes to the puck that gives him escape options, while fighting for body position.

Lilly is above average in defending on the rush, but not quite as good as he is in the previous aspects. He is positionally strong and his mobility helps.
The issue with Lilly defending on the rush is that he gives too much respect to fast players. He backs into the zone and then tries to close the gap. While this will hurt him in the NHL at times, it's not a red flag or anything. He recovers well after getting beat.
His transition game remains a normal thing for him. He will make a bad pass at times but those are few and far between. Transitionally he is a huge positive to the team.
Lilly is always looking to get involved in the rush. Sometimes as the main player, but most of the time as a support player. He makes himself a passing while making the ice bigger. He looks for opportunities to help the attack.
His skating is a bit of a concern. He is fast to start, but top end speed is more average. However he makes up for it. When there is a chance to activate, he doesn't hesitate. This kind of commitment lessens the chances for a mistake. Lilly's habits make him faster. He passes without breaking a stride, and then continues that stride.
The second part to his transition game is his passing. His calling card are the stretch passes. The way he passes is interesting. He passes to where the player is going. His breakout passes makes the offense keep going. This kind of passing is also used when his team is in the middle of a rush. His backhand passing is almost as good.

In the offensive zone, his passing isn't as good as the other elements. He prefers to hang on to the puck and let his forwards set up. You can call his game conservative in the opposing zone for lack of a better word.

Mitch doesn't feel creating offense in the zone will be his stength, but his production this season indicates maybe it will. With that being said, Leafs don't a dynamic offensive generator, they need someone who compliments the offense with passing and defensive ability, and Lilly brings that.

In those aspects, Lilly is ready for the NHL. His transition game will easily translate, and his defensive game will also help.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks to the other poster for mentioning this. Mitch Brown wrote a great article of Lilly is NHL ready. I will put in my own words.

Mitch said when Lilly was drafted, he was an offense first player with no defence. The turnaround since then has been amazing.
Lilly's best attributes are his decision making and defense. Lilly's off puck defence is terrific. He is aware of what's happening in the zone, and makes the right read on where the play is going. Lilly's on puck defence is also helpful to his team. He closes on players quickly which ends the play. He is also very good in loose puck recoveries. He takes routes to the puck that gives him escape options, while fighting for body position.

Lilly is above average in defending on the rush, but not quite as good as he is in the previous aspects. He is positionally strong and his mobility helps.
The issue with Lilly defending on the rush is that he gives too much respect to fast players. He backs into the zone and then tries to close the gap. While this will hurt him in the NHL at times, it's not a red flag or anything. He recovers well after getting beat.
His transition game remains a normal thing for him. He will make a bad pass at times but those are few and far between. Transitionally he is a huge positive to the team.
Lilly is always looking to get involved in the rush. Sometimes as the main player, but most of the time as a support player. He makes himself a passing while making the ice bigger. He looks for opportunities to help the attack.
His skating is a bit of a concern. He is fast to start, but top end speed is more average. However he makes up for it. When there is a chance to activate, he doesn't hesitate. This kind of commitment lessens the chances for a mistake. Lilly's habits make him faster. He passes without breaking a stride, and then continues that stride.
The second part to his transition game is his passing. His calling card are the stretch passes. The way he passes is interesting. He passes to where the player is going. His breakout passes makes the offense keep going. This kind of passing is also used when his team is in the middle of a rush. His backhand passing is almost as good.

In the offensive zone, his passing isn't as good as the other elements. He prefers to hang on to the puck and let his forwards set up. You can call his game conservative in the opposing zone for lack of a better word.

Mitch doesn't feel creating offense in the zone will be his stength, but his production this season indicates maybe it will. With that being said, Leafs don't a dynamic offensive generator, they need someone who compliments the offense with passing and defensive ability, and Lilly brings that.

In those aspects, Lilly is ready for the NHL. His transition game will easily translate, and his defensive game will also help.
To me the single biggest improvement in Lily's game from last season to this season is he is much stronger on his skates. I don't see him on his *ss in corners when fighting for loose pucks. He can now hold his own. I also think everyone is selling him low on his ability to carry puck up ice. I predict he will look a lot more like Holl in next year or 2 in his confidence to carry the puck up ice. He got stripped a lot early on and I think his confidence was affected.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
We may think he is NHL ready. Then, did we know why leafs hd 7 Ds in his first game? I guess leafs believe he is not ready yet.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We may think he is NHL ready. Then, did we know why leafs hd 7 Ds in his first game? I guess leafs believe he is not ready yet.
Maybe you should do some research before saying stuff like this.
It's because Leafs have no space with RHD. If a RHD got injured, Lilly would be up and Sandin would be the 7th defenceman. Bob said it as well.
Does that mean they believe Sandin isn't ready?

They also called up Lilly and told him be ready if Barrie can't go. They were going with 6 defencemen then. He is NHL ready.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is what Bob said.

Liljegren by the way, has had a better year than Sandin. If this was a right-shot D that went out, Liljegren would be in the line-up and Sandin would still be in the minors. Liljegren has been significantly better than Sandin over the course of the season. He's the next-man-up in terms of a longer-term assignment, unless Sandin comes up and picks up where he left off at the WJC and takes over.

You were saying?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Maybe you should do some research before saying stuff like this.
It's because Leafs have no space with RHD. If a RHD got injured, Lilly would be up and Sandin would be the 7th defenceman. Bob said it as well.
Does that mean they believe Sandin isn't ready?

They also called up Lilly and told him be ready if Barrie can't go. They were going with 6 defencemen then. He is NHL ready.
sorry, may be I misheard the game commentary or dressing up 7D and 11F was a thing now :huh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Typically when 7 D are dressed it's due to one of the top players playing banged up, so they dress an extra in case he can't go after trying.
Think it was Dermott hurting in this case.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Mark Rakham released his mid season Marlies grades, and he gave Lilly an A. Here is what he said.

Timothy Liljegren (33GP, 4g-20a-24pts)

Timothy Liljegren is ready for the NHL. There is no higher praise I could afford the young Swedish defenseman, whose trajectory this season has been nothing short of impressive. Somewhat overlooked because of his younger countryman, Liljegren has carried the Marlies’ blue line this season without any fanfare, playing top pair minutes, both special teams, and producing the numbers offensively that many doubted he could. He’s been the Marlies best defenseman on a nightly basis — and it’s not even close. Liljegren is ranked 12th in scoring amongst all AHL defenseman with 24 points despite fewer games played than his counterparts.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I see Dumbass is looking for a RD-man with term. I guess the trading for Ceci,Barrie and Muzzin haven't worked out. It looks as though none of these players will sign with the Laughs. Looks good on Dumbass for stealing Tavares from the Isles! I'm thinking he's not as smart as people made him out to be...and with no 1st rounder this year Dumbass even looks stupider!
Muzzy will resign. Both sides want it. It is only a matter of negotiating time.
Leafs do not want either Barrie or Ceci back. If a good trade for a defensive D with term comes up and either of those guys can be moved it will get done.
We are very close. Much closer than everyone thinks. A couple more solid defenders and Freddy will have more protection and his game will get back on track.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
I see Dumbass is looking for a RD-man with term. I guess the trading for Ceci,Barrie and Muzzin haven't worked out. It looks as though none of these players will sign with the Laughs. Looks good on Dumbass for stealing Tavares from the Isles! I'm thinking he's not as smart as people made him out to be...and with no 1st rounder this year Dumbass even looks stupider!

OK Boomer.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Generous description of whatever is going on up there.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We got rid of numbnuts Z with Ceci who only had 1 year left - pretty good deal. Sens are stuck with that guy OMG.
The Barrie deal was a mistake no doubt. A lot of us got confused with his 1st round offensive playoff performance last year.
You can't win em all. Kadri should have got us a solid #2 guy who can play.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We got rid of numbnuts Z with Ceci who only had 1 year left - pretty good deal. Sens are stuck with that guy OMG.
The Barrie deal was a mistake no doubt. A lot of us got confused with his 1st round offensive playoff performance last year.
You can't win em all. Kadri should have got us a solid #2 guy who can play.

Should he have? He was coming off a pretty underwhelming season.

The Henrique deal is a pretty good baseline, I can't really say we got bad value based on that.

The worst case scenario would have been holding on to Kadri and having him put up another 40-ish point season, his value would have probably gone down to a #4D and a vet grinder.

Reactions: leuf

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Quality post right here. For most fans who dont get to watch marlies games this seems like a pretty unbiased view of lilijgren as a player. Would give this a like but lost that privilege

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think the time has come to move Ceci or Barrie to make room for this kid. I think Barrie would be the preferable option because he will fetch a much better return, and despite his improved offensive production under Keefe, he is a total liability defensively. Sandin and Liljegren could quarterback the PP units until Rielly comes back.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Very nice write-up. I hope Liljegren gets a chance soon. He looked good in his NHL debut and IMO, ready for regular ice time.

Reactions: stickty111

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Another 2 points today. His offensive game has skyrocketed this year. Really proud of him

Hopefully ceci is turned to a 3rd+5th rounder so lilijgren gets a full time spot. I dont care too much about his offensive game but am seeing multiple articles giving him credit for his defensive game. Think him and sandin both could use this upcoming offseason to focus on sharpening their skating to the next level. Improving their speed and acceleration will really help them transition to impact top 4 defenders right away for next year imo.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hopefully ceci is turned to a 3rd+5th rounder so lilijgren gets a full time spot. I dont care too much about his offensive game but am seeing multiple articles giving him credit for his defensive game. Think him and sandin both could use this upcoming offseason to focus on sharpening their skating to the next level. Improving their speed and acceleration will really help them transition to impact top 4 defenders right away for next year imo.
We still need a 4th RHD.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Lucky for us the Kings “insisted” on Durzi instead of Liljegren, a rumour btw I believe was BS
1F5BBD06-68BC-43AA-B23F-08343B17FE29.jpeg
08E88081-C60F-4A35-B972-8E38207603BF.jpeg

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
sorry, may be I misheard the game commentary or dressing up 7D and 11F was a thing now :huh:

It's been a thing for years, especially since the fourth line gets under 10 minutes a game. You may as well dress 7 dman, just rotate some guys during the game to play with the fourth line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad