Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I know, but we don't have to run 3LD and 3 RD. Marincin has little value for the team while Lilly seems ready and a game against one of the worst teams wouldn't hurt.
I don't disagree with that, but the plan might be to bring him in fully, and not just a game here and there.
Kind of like they did with Sandin.
All though if we stand pat at the deadline, and use Marincin over Lilly in the playoffs. Then I will not be happy. Thats when I throw the LHD RHD balance out the window.

HC7

May 2, 2018
2 points on the day, 3 in the past 2. Just a reminder this guy should be playing with Sandin on the Leafs.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
29 points in 37 games, kid is ready but I like the fact that they kept him in the AHL playing 20+ mins. Kid is just gonna turn 21 in April. Not wanting to throw shade at the Habs but look at how they are jerking around their kids and they wonder why development always stalls.

He will be part of our blue line for a long time, the question is how high is his ceiling?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
29 points in 37 games, kid is ready but I like the fact that they kept him in the AHL playing 20+ mins. Kid is just gonna turn 21 in April. Not wanting to throw shade at the Habs but look at how they are jerking around their kids and they wonder why development always stalls.

He will be part of our blue line for a long time, the question is how high is his ceiling?

His ceiling is a first pairing defenceman, and I agree he needs a new (non-Babcock) nickname.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
His ceiling is a first pairing defenceman, and I agree he needs a new (non-Babcock) nickname.

I hope you are right, I would be happy with a number 3 but if he can play top pairing minutes then great. The fact that he has been focusing on his D for the past few years has really helped him become a better overall prospect. I have never been overly concerned with his offensive game and if he is a number three he should be putting up 30-40 points.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016

That's how I view him as well; I've still got sky high hopes for this kid. Obviously most players don't reach their ceiling and he could just end up being an average quality d-man, but I find it strange how so many people think he no longer has 1st pairing potential. He's got all the tools, his defensive game is great and he has the draft pedigree so I'm not sure what people are seeing to say that's not possible. If he didn't slip so far in the draft then people would be viewing him much differently. There's many, many comparables of star d-men that were putting up fewer points in the AHL at the same age as well.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's how I view him as well; I've still got sky high hopes for this kid. Obviously most players don't reach their ceiling and he could just end up being an average quality d-man, but I find it strange how so many people think he no longer has 1st pairing potential. He's got all the tools, his defensive game is great and he has the draft pedigree so I'm not sure what people are seeing to say that's not possible. If he didn't slip so far in the draft then people would be viewing him much differently. There's many, many comparables of star d-men that were putting up fewer points in the AHL at the same age as well.
It's funny, during the draft, many including me thought he would be good offensively, but questionable defensively. As much as I liked him, even I didn't see the growth defensively that has come. All though I remember one scouting website saying for a teen, his defensive game is advanced but needs work.
I agree about top pairing potential. He can play all situation heavy minutes. Good offensive production and great defensively as a 20 year old. That has top pairing potential written all over it. Whether he gets there, we will see.
Despite the growth in his offense this season, I still see his defensive game being more ahead. Thats not knocking him offensively.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It's getting to the point where we cannot reasonably keep this kid down any longer.

I'd argue that only 3 defensemen on this team are definitively better than him at the moment in Holl/Barrie/Muzzin with Dermott being horrible since getting an increased roll lately and Lily/Sandin being close. Ceci and Marincin can go to the moon.

Sitting with the 3rd highest PPG ever for a 20 year old right now, great 5 on 5, great on the PK, what the hell are we waiting for / what do we want from the kid?

Screenshot_20200203-215104_Chrome.jpg

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It's getting to the point where we cannot reasonably keep this kid down any longer.

I'd argue that only 3 defensemen on this team are definitively better than him at the moment in Holl/Barrie/Muzzin with Dermott being horrible since getting an increased roll lately and Lily/Sandin being close. Ceci and Marincin can go to the moon.

Sitting with the 3rd highest PPG ever for a 20 year old right now, great 5 on 5, great on the PK, what the hell are we waiting for / what do we want from the kid?

View attachment 316097
I almost believed you ...then I saw Ceci.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It was easy to doubt Lilly's offensive upside. I think @Nithoniniel who is familiar with him in Sweden mentioned he hasn't produced big offensive numbers since he was a young teen, but he certainly has changed that this season.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
It was easy to doubt Lilly's offensive upside. I think @Nithoniniel who is familiar with him in Sweden mentioned he hasn't produced big offensive numbers since he was a young teen, but he certainly has changed that this season.

I’m not convinced he will have a role on the Leafs PP, at least until while Sandin and Mo are here which will hurt his production but I think ~30 points is reasonable in a couple years given the teams offensive production. He had the two years where his point production stalled (mono year in Sweden and 2nd year in the AHL) but I think the AHL year was largely due to his usage.

The Karlsson comparison heading into his draft year was always going to be pretty much impossible to live up to but I do think he can be a really solid two way D who thrives in Keefe’s system.

I’m not worried about the lack of point production over the last few years. Unlike his North American peers he was playing in top 5 men’s leagues. Ideally he becomes a guy who plays safe enough to play with Mo and can help out on the PK, transition and zone exits.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

His production was excellent right up to getting mono partway through his draft year as a 17 year old. First AHL year was also good production, especially considering it was his first year playing in North America. Second AHL season was a down year due to his ankle injuries, but he is clearly over that now and a much better player than before in all facets of his game.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
His production was excellent right up to getting mono partway through his draft year as a 17 year old. First AHL year was also good production, especially considering it was his first year playing in North America. Second AHL season was a down year due to his ankle injuries, but he is clearly over that now and a much better player than before in all facets of his game.
Thats fair.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

I keep seeing this, but he still produced comparable to the age 19 seasons of Ryan Suter, Brent Burns, and Vyacheslav Voynov in terms of PPG.

Considering that he had next to zero powerplay time I would say he still had an excellent year when you consider the leaps he took defensively. Maybe a slight let down compared to his age 18 season offensively, but he was still really, really good.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

View attachment 316097

Brannstrom in 1 more game will hit that list and is at .84 so haaaa
Except he seems not ready for the NHL or it might be a lack of help on the team who knows.
Just felt like a little brag session carry on.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Brannstrom in 1 more game will hit that list and is at .84 so haaaa
Except he seems not ready for the NHL or it might be a lack of help on the team who knows.
Just felt like a little brag session carry on.
Yea still though being in the top 10 is pretty impressive. Based on their offensive games alone both should be able to find top 4 roles in the NHL eventually.

If they can hold their own defensively they can be top pair kind of guys.

Mar 12, 2009
TWS posted a clip with a mistake, so I guess he's not ready. Welp. He was funnier when I thought he was an angsty, teen, if he's a grown ass adult...just sad man.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I know we can't go off 1 game but last night he was very bad. and I was disappointed in Woll too. We got outplayed by Ottawa's farm team at Coca Cola. #11 on baby Sens should be a guy we target. That kid can play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad