Timothy "Lillypad" Liljegren Discussion || UPD 1/14/2020 -- Recalled by the Leafs and returned

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I hate that the Leafs bring up Lily and play Ceci. Just play the damn kid!

I get that Marincin and Ceci have NHL experience, but Lily can't be a downgrade.
After that penalty Ceci took late in the 3rd, he shouldn't play.

Reactions: DanM

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
They really should have left Liljegren with the Marlies until after the all-star break to practice with his teammates and continue to play big minutes.

Instead he flies across the country, and gets to sit in the press box and take morning skates...sometimes this “progressive” thinking team really outthinks itself.

I don't think it will ruin his career to miss 2-3 AHL games...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
we really think Lilj is gonna outperform Sandin's NHL performance based on the 6-8 games he's played this year?
Sandin was above average in the 6 games and great today. There is a chance, but if both play decently well, thats important.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Sandin was above average in the 6 games and great today. There is a chance, but if both play decently well, thats important.
Yes ideally both can thrive in the NHL though it's unlikely for any player to match or exceed Sandin's start in the NHL. Even if Lilj plays well from the get go just based on probability I doubt he'd be this good this early. But we're both here so I guess we'll see either way

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yes ideally both can thrive in the NHL though it's unlikely for any player to match or exceed Sandin's start in the NHL. Even if Lilj plays well from the get go just based on probability I doubt he'd be this good this early. But we're both here so I guess we'll see either way
He might not be as dynamic as Sandin, but the overall effectiveness could be similar. If your looking for PP minutes, Sandin is your guy. Lilly for the PK. All though both can play both special teams as required.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Pietro played w Miss IceDogs in G
Tavares played w Marlies in G
Stammer played with Tights w Majors in O
I'm thinking further back when they were all 3 (and Del Zotto) on the blues:
iDXfhoKl.jpg

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
He might not be as dynamic as Sandin, but the overall effectiveness could be similar. If your looking for PP minutes, Sandin is your guy. Lilly for the PK. All though both can play both special teams as required.
It could be similar but it's unlikely the effectiveness will be as similar this early on which isn't an indictment on Lilj but more so a reflection of how unexpectedly great Sandin has been for a first year player in his first 10 games. Not in his last few games with Babcock which I blame on the coach but the first few and the last game he's been amazing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It could be similar but it's unlikely the effectiveness will be as similar this early on which isn't an indictment on Lilj but more so a reflection of how unexpectedly great Sandin has been for a first year player in his first 10 games. Not in his last few games with Babcock which I blame on the coach but the first few and the last game he's been amazing.
I agree with this.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
we really think Lilj is gonna outperform Sandin's NHL performance based on the 6-8 games he's played this year?

Possibly, It depends where he plays and how he's used. For me it's not only judged on points.

I believe 3 of the 4 points he's got so far are against Detroit and now New Jersey, also he's been insulated quite well behind two other pairs. He been good and well done to him, but he's not even scoring this pace down in the AHL.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
I’m really excited to see how well he tilts the ice in our favour at the NHL level. Since last year, he’s looked great retrieving dump ins and starting clean break outs (minus the occasional dangerous turnover) which the leafs can struggle with.

He might need more time than Sandin to show his quality (Sandin’s poise and confidence is incredible), but I hope he can become someone like Hjalmarsson or even Letang (a man can dream) someday. His stretch passing is really strong and his passing in the offensive zone can be pretty clutch! His patient setup of Fiore was great! I’m not sure how many of our D, would be able to make the same play.

Reactions: stickty111

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
0.71 > 0.57

Sandin PPG
NHL this season: 0.57
AHL this season: 0.71
AHL career: 0.68
WJC this year: 1.43
WJC career: 1.17

He had more than I remembered or played less games, but he did go to the WJC. Very well.

Interestingly, Liljegren narrowly beats his PPG this season at 0.72.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No one can say Lily < Marty. The real issue is the PK. Harder to put a rook on the PK. Much easier to put a rook on the PP. But at some point we have to try. He can't stay in minors forever. He needs to get a shot. It appears he is not playing against Flames. He needs to play so then send him back to Marlies to play. Sandin likely gets next 2 games and then he goes back too so we can slide his ELC another year assuming Muzz is ready.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
We are ranked #5 for goals against this season.

Does Dubas really think that Liljegren is that terrible that he can't replace one of Marincin or Ceci??

Ceci and Marincin are the weakest links in our blueline yet get so much ice-time. Why not put in Liljegren? Why not see what he can OR can't do at the NHL level ...... Surely he can't be worse than Ceci or Marincin. Absolutely baffled by this stupidity.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Lil definitely cant replace Ceci. Not even close. Maybe Marincin but prob not. Hopefully hes just getting a taste and then back to the A. Hes not ready for the show maybe next year.

Bob Mac doesnt even watch Marlies hes speaking solely on stats. Hes wrong. If Lil outperformed Sandin hed be playing but hes not, because hes not ready. Get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad