Tribute Timothy Liljegren part 2

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I’m gonna disagree on that. I think he’s playing so well because of the minutes he’s getting. There is no need to increase it at this point. Keep him sheltered and let him thrive
how do you know it isn't harder on him? Lots of players need more consistent minutes in a game to find a rhythm. Only one way to find out what he can do, especially with a top 4 that has looked very shaky

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
how do you know it isn't harder on him? Lots of players need more consistent minutes in a game to find a rhythm. Only one way to find out what he can do, especially with a top 4 that has looked very shaky

If you increase his minutes and he starts getting shredded by other teams top lines that does nothing for his confidence. O Zone starts where he can be creative and control the puck and have confidence with it is def best

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nice to see them both acquit themselves so well against a very good team.

Looking forward to seeing how they do against a Boston team that will challenge and pressure them.

Reactions: LeafChief and kb

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He and Sandin were *easily* the best two defenseman on the team tonight. Brodie was very good too, but Liljegren and Sandin were just flying.

53.2 xGF% (only Sandin higher for defenseman).
I think people also forget before Mono....Liljegren was actually touted as one of the top picks of the draft and it was a competition between him and Patrick nolan.

And I agree both are just showing great chemistry and doing really well.

Anyone know if lil started with rielly or did that just happen at practice and didn't happen in game?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think people also forget before Mono....Liljegren was actually touted as one of the top picks of the draft and it was a competition between him and Patrick nolan.

And I agree both are just showing great chemistry and doing really well.

Anyone know if lil started with rielly or did that just happen at practice and didn't happen in game?

Mo and Dermott started together, Lil and Sandin started together.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Moneypuck had them both over 60% xgf. Where did these stats come from?

Moneypuck.
Screenshot_20211104-233314_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Liljegren has earned a spot in the top 6. He has done everything that’s been asked of him. Getting steady games now is huge for his development.

The only mistake Keefe can possibly make now is to take him out of the lineup and mess with his mojo.

I think Keefe likes him too much to do that. I believe Keefe was about easing him in and ensuring he wasn't thrown to the wolves so Lily could get comfortable. I like to think Liljegren is just getting started. Once he got his game going on the Marlies he was dominant. I don't expect top pairing at the NHL level but emergence as a good top 4 d-man could be on the horizon.

Reactions: Sypher04

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's taken some time. I still remember the draft pick and all the potential scouts and experts raved about. I believe he had a bout with mono? and so he dropped a bit...we got him at 17th if I rmbr correctly.

He's developed into a completely diff player today. I rmbr seeing him during Marlies games last few years and always noticed how effective his defense is, along with his first passes. Great IQ too. Really happy with the Marlies.

Thank you Liljegren for sticking with it and battling. Now is your time.

Keefe. Don't you dare take him out. :naughty:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This felt like a sink or swim kind of game for Liljegren. The few games he has played have been against subpar appointments that are closer to AHL teams as opposed to NHL teams. But the Lightning are different, they are the cream of the crop and are expected to go into the playoffs. Liljegren did not disappoint and had yet another strong performance.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He just gets better and better. I'd like to see him get tougher minutes but overall, I don't think there are any doubts about his abilities as a regular at the very least.

Reactions: LeafChief

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Liljegren isn't being sheltered. He has the 3rd lowest OZ% among the d men last 3 games

Context- he’s also 3rd lowest in Defensive zone starts. So yes he is being sheltered. 2nd on the team in Neutral Zone starts.

but nevertheless he’s playing well

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’m extremely pleased to see TL playing well. Earlier in the year I suggested that his success on the blue line would be one of the better things to happen for the team this year. However, this is still early days in the career. At some point moving forward, he’s going to struggle. Almost all Dmen do. I know many here will lose their collective shit when it happens, it’s what happens here with slumping players all the time. I just hope the organization has the balls to ride it out, and that TL doesn’t go into panic mode, because confidence seems to be his divining rod. I think his play now is very encouraging, and I think it can get better. Good luck this year, kid.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad