Tribute Timothy Liljegren part 2

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Excited to see Liljegren with Rielly tonight.

Glad to see many of the posters that wrote him off years ago suddenly get on board. The revisionist history is amusing.

I couldn't believe he fell to us at #17. Was so pumped, always knew the kid had it. I think it was good Sandin did so well last season for Lils development.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Excited to see Liljegren with Rielly tonight.

Glad to see many of the posters that wrote him off years ago suddenly get on board. The revisionist history is amusing.

Oh wow he's with Rielly tonight? That is exciting!

I haven't been following closely who's saying what but to anyone who ever wrote this kid off - I don't understand you at all.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Listened to the Leaf Report from Wednesday.

Was quite hilarious how Mirtle and Siegel did their best to attribute Liljegren looking so good to anything else other than himself.
On Overdrive yesterday during the filter segment, Al's Brother said Liljegren should be a main stay on the blueline, not surprisngly Jeff and Hayes said delete your account. When Noodles is the most reasonable on a Leafs subject, you have problems.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
On Overdrive yesterday during the filter segment, Al's Brother said Liljegren should be a main stay on the blueline, not surprisngly Jeff and Hayes said delete your account. When Noodles is the most reasonable on a Leafs subject, you have problems.

BTW, and forgive me if I sound stupid but I've been wondering for some time now - who is Al's brother? And for that matter, who is Al?

Ok never mind - I finally decide to google it.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Noting, Liljegren still is a guy who often struggles when moving up to the next level. This is another test for him, and we need to be patient. I have full confidence that he can excel, but he's going to make some mistakes along the way. Don't hang the guy for it. He's going to be good, I've always said he's going to be good, when given the chance, and patience to succeed.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
BTW, and forgive me if I sound stupid but I've been wondering for some time now - who is Al's brother? And for that matter, who is Al?

Ok never mind - I finally decide to google it.

They reference him way too much. His name has become like grit grinder, friend of the show, to your point....just over used terms.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Noting, Liljegren still is a guy who often struggles when moving up to the next level. This is another test for him, and we need to be patient. I have full confidence that he can excel, but he's going to make some mistakes along the way. Don't hang the guy for it. He's going to be good, I've always said he's going to be good, when given the chance, and patience to succeed.

I'm sure there's a few that readying their nooses for his first little mistake already.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Toughest matchups to Muzzin Brodie no doubt.

Message to Liljegren... keep it simple, cover for Mo.
Funny enough, Liljegren wasn't even sheltered in his previous 2 games. He had the 3rd lowest OZS%. Rielly had the highest. Muzzin-Brodie will clearly get the toughest minutes. If Rielly-Liljegren are a pairing, they might get anywhere from medium strength mins to sheltered.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Rielly-Liljegren eh? Gonna be interesting to see how Keefe handles matchups against Tampa.
They'll be fine. I don't think Keefe will worry too much about it, Muzzin gets the tough matchups anyway.
Are they a pair for certain or still a chance Dermott plays?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Funny enough, Liljegren wasn't even sheltered in his previous 2 games. He had the 3rd lowest OZS%. Rielly had the highest. Muzzin-Brodie will clearly get the toughest minutes. If Rielly-Liljegren are a pairing, they might get anywhere from medium strength mins to sheltered.

To support that, pretty clear 3 year curve that has Liljegren seeing pretty standard "middle pair" / average competition this year

TOR 1920 Liljegren Quality of Teammates and Competition
TOR 2021 Liljegren Quality of Teammates and Competition

Last two years they definitely tried (and succeeded) to keep him away from the other team's top line

To this point this year, not so much
TOR 2122 Liljegren Quality of Teammates and Competition

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Lili getting his chance and starting to cement it is a reminder of the real variable that his bonus structure has been.
I hope he keeps getting a legit chance, because he’s earned it, and thrives with suitable patience.

Reactions: freshwind and kb

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't wanna get ahead of myself but I have some faith that Lily may become what his draft year projection was, very happy with him so far. The guy is so smooth at making plays under pressure, always finds a way to get the puck out and up the ice. I'd like to see him play a little more before judging him defensively, but his transition game and break outs have been really good so far. Even handling the puck at the offensive blue line.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Definitely trial by fire putting him with Rielly for the first time against a top team in Tampa.

Really hoping he acquits himself well and keeps it simple. It’s an expectation he will make mistakes, as will everyone.

He seems to keep a cool head and doesn’t get flustered. Hoping that continues and he has another solid outing.

If he and Rielly can gel while Liljegren continues to develop, that could be a big deal moving forward, and open up some options for Dubas moving forward.

…….. not wanting to get ahead of myself though. Still one shift, one game at a time….

Reactions: supermann_98

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Lily seems to have this adjustment period when he moves up a level. Once he was comfortable in the AHL he was basically dominating. It takes a him a bit to calibrate to the speed of the game at each level. It's like it doesn't immediately register in his head that he can't do certain things at the next level. During this adjustment period he typically looks hesistant and indecisive. Once he adjusts, his decision making becomes basically automatic and he in turn becomes very confident and calm.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

He was great in the AHL when he jumped over at 18, one of the highest PPG ever for a defensemen that age. I wouldn't say he struggled.

The 11 games two years ago were rough, but that was a time when Muzzin/Rielly/Ceci were out and we were throwing out some combination of Rosen/ Marincin/ Sandin/ Dermott/Holl/ Barrie/ Liljegren. Not a lot of support there for a young guy. Sandin's defensive numbers tanked during this time as well.

His 2 games last year and 4 this year have been more than fine. I don't think the adjustment period will be long.

I will never understand the Toronto media hate for this guy. All he's done since he was drafted is stay quiet, work hard, and consistently get better. He should have been at the top of most prospect lists but for some reason never got the attention that a player of his calibre should have.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I couldn't believe he fell to us at #17. Was so pumped, always knew the kid had it. I think it was good Sandin did so well last season for Lils development.

wdym you can’t believe it? Just go look at who went ahead of him. They are all better than him. Minus Linus Andersson & Brannstrom, I think Liljegren went right where he was supposed to go. The top half of the draft are legitimate NHL’ers who have had significant impacts on their NHL rosters already.

that being said, it’s not unlikely that he can also have a big impact potentially.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Lily seems to have this adjustment period when he moves up a level. Once he was comfortable in the AHL he was basically dominating. It takes a him a bit to calibrate to the speed of the game at each level. It's like it doesn't immediately register in his head that he can't do certain things at the next level. During this adjustment period he typically looks hesistant and indecisive. Once he adjusts, his decision making becomes basically automatic and he in turn becomes very confident and calm.
It's funny how that has been his pattern all along. Speaks mostly to a confidence issue, or in Lily's case lack of it until he gets a good feeling for something, and then he excels at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad