Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
After 5 games in the NHL, u can not say he is developing into a Top 4. There is no way to judge that. Liljegren was not really good last night, he had an up and down game and some brutal turnovers. That's a fact. U are far too emotional defending Liljegren over and over again, very sensitive topic if anyone on this board says something other than glowing praise for him. When someone becomes emotional, they lose touch to accurately see how that player is playing.
I agree that you can't judge a player based on 5 games, especially when he plays so little, and tonight was probably his worst game out of the last couple.

But his body of work over the past 3 seasons with the Marlies and the players he can be comparred to based on age/stats/defensive play etc. suggest that he is trending towards being a very good top 4 defensemen in this league.

He's more likely to push to be a top pair guy than bust at this point with the most recent comparible being a guy like Shea Theodore. There are some elite players in this league that didn't play this well at age 20 in the AHL.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Tulluch gave Lilly another 4 star performance today. Here is what he said.

I’m loving his confidence with the puck. In the preseason, Liljegren looked hesitant to make plays up the ice against NHL competition. Now he’s threading stretch passes, making forecheckers miss and skating the puck into open ice with speed. That’s another thing: He looks much faster right now than I’ve ever seen him. Keep in mind that he’s been dealing with some rough injuries over the past few years that have affected his skating. Now that he’s had a clean bill of health for a few consecutive months, it looks like he’s really gone to work with Barb Underhill.

Expectations for the Swedish defender have dropped significantly over the past year or two, but he’s starting to show more flashes of the high-end skill that made him such a highly touted prospect in 2017. If he keeps playing like this, you have to wonder if the Sandin-Liljegren pairing might be used in the playoffs. Then again, the fact that he got less than 10 minutes of ice time says a lot about how much trust the coaching staff has in the young defender.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I agree that you can't judge a player based on 5 games, especially when he plays so little, and tonight was probably his worst game out of the last couple.

But his body of work over the past 3 seasons with the Marlies and the players he can be comparred to based on age/stats/defensive play etc. suggest that he is trending towards being a very good top 4 defensemen in this league.

He's more likely to push to be a top pair guy than bust at this point with the most recent comparible being a guy like Shea Theodore. There are some elite players in this league that didn't play this well at age 20 in the AHL.

Projecting NHL careers from AHL play is a tricky business. To me, his body of work isn't suggesting that he's tracking to be a "very good" top 4 defenseman, but just that he's not busting.

There are so many pitfalls on the path to becoming a good NHL player that I've begun to look at it like, rather than there be one good thing happening, the player "makes it," it's more like, multiple, more likely bad things not happening. Top down vs bottom up.

Reactions: Captain14

horner

May 22, 2007
After 5 games in the NHL, u can not say he is developing into a Top 4. There is no way to judge that. Liljegren was not really good last night, he had an up and down game and some brutal turnovers. That's a fact. U are far too emotional defending Liljegren over and over again, very sensitive topic if anyone on this board says something other than glowing praise for him. When someone becomes emotional, they lose touch to accurately see how that player is playing.

you first have to look at the reliable veteran dman partners for him.

Muzzin
Jake plays with Holl

Sandin and Dermot are still learning the game themselves

We need to find a stable partner for him.

Imagine him learning with stlouis Washington or Bruins defence.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It takes a very special player at 20 years of age to come into the NHL and make a difference. Beyond the obvious skill requirements, an abundance of self-confidence is required, and a solid partner doesn't hurt. If the team is well structured and consistent that also helps make a transition easier. TL is being paired with another rookie. The Leafs are not blessed with a LH D partner who can be a mentor to him (were Rielly available and the team wasn't scrapping for a berth in the playoffs, Muzz might be a good candidate). We moan about the lack of consistent effort from this team and it's defensive zone efforts, to expect a rookie(s) to make a big impact is asking a heck of a lot. We've seen, 50ish minutes of play in sheltered situations. Liljegren has looked capable in most of his minutes. He's made a few errors which is to be expected. I don't know what we have at this point, but I'd argue for Keefe to increase his TOI. I want a better idea of what we have before the TDL arrives and I think it would benefit Holl and Barrie to have their minutes reduced. A risk, yes, but one I think we need to take.

Reactions: Macallan18

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Projecting NHL careers from AHL play is a tricky business. To me, his body of work isn't suggesting that he's tracking to be a "very good" top 4 defenseman, but just that he's not busting.

There are so many pitfalls on the path to becoming a good NHL player that I've begun to look at it like, rather than there be one good thing happening, the player "makes it," it's more like, multiple, more likely bad things not happening. Top down vs bottom up.
So out of curiosity, what parts of Liljegrens body of work/game concern you when it comes to projecting him as a very good top 4 defensemen in a couple years?

I understand that AHL success isn't always indicitave of a strong NHL career, but most of the guys that produce the way he has that fizzle out are terrible defensively, or in somebody like Ryan Murphy's case, terrible defensively and unwilling to work on it. The guys that can at least be passable defensively have really good careers (Theodore, Faulk, Green, Subban, Burns, etc.)

His skating is good, defensive game is great for a 20 year old, I'm not sure there are enough holes to hold him back from being in our top two pairs eventually.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think we need to realize that not all top four D men are big point producers. Some are just really good players without the puck, and (when they do get the puck) they are really good at moving the puck up the ice. That’s Tim to me. He’s a guy who will play well in his own zone, and his puck skills will help him be a really good guy fir moving the puck out of his D zone. That’s a very important player.

Reactions: kb and chamchibap

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
I think we need to realize that not all top four D men are big point producers. Some are just really good players without the puck, and (when they do get the puck) they are really good at moving the puck up the ice. That’s Tim to me. He’s a guy who will play well in his own zone, and his puck skills will help him be a really good guy fir moving the puck out of his D zone. That’s a very important player.
I’ve been rooting for this guy for a long time. I don’t see the heady, high IQ quick reactions/plays that Sandin has shown yet, but he’s grown a lot in the Leafs system. Not amazing in the ozone or a physical force in the dzone at the NHL level, but steady, good positioning and transitional play is what his game will look like for at least his first few NHL years. Doesn’t seem like he’s forcing much or trying to make high risk low reward plays every shift like Dermott/Barrie, which is interesting because that’s what his predraft highlights looked like.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Congrats to Liljegren on his first NHL point tonight. He had a couple WTF moments but no more than anyone else on our blue line.

Reactions: WillyNy

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Tulluch gave Lilly and Sandin a 3 star performance.

There were a few scary moments for Timothy Liljegren with the puck, but I still really like his confidence to make plays up the ice. As we mentioned, he made a great stretch pass to spring Timashov on a partial breakaway, which is something he’s always been good at. Rasmus Sandin had a bit more of subtle game, but he was making steady plays to get the puck going in the right direction. He also got a heavy wrister off that almost fooled Ottawa’s goaltender; he can get a lot of power behind that thing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe on Lilly's first 5 NHL games.

"I see a guy who’s playing with lots of confidence. With each game, Dave Hakstol is getting more comfortable with putting him on the ice. In the third period there, we’re killing a penalty and the game is on the line, at one point we had Sandin and Liljegren out there killing that penalty in a one-goal hockey game. That’s a very good sign for both those guys."

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is as good as he was to start in pre. Held back for no good reason. Clearly a better option than some of the junk on the team like Holl, Barrie and Ceci.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He hasn't been perfect, but he's looked really smooth. They threw him into a tougher role, asking him to be the calm defensive D next to Sandin. Both of them are looking like they will be able to transition to top 4 D soon. Would love to see him get minutes next to Muzzin next year.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Loved that play. He’s going to be here to stay, those guys are playing pretty good for youngsters, by playoffs they will be one of our better pairs night in night out.

Very smart play...keep that jersey chest logo in front all the time instead of puck watching and getting dazzled!

Reactions: stickty111

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hes been solid. Not sure what else you can expect from him. I havent noticed him much which I think is a good thing. I'm hoping he can get into that roll of allowing his partner to dictate the play (Sandin) because for now, they compliment each other well.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
last season i went to a couple of Marlies games (im european so dont @ me) and i thought Liljegren and Sandin are different kinda players but both intelligent with the puck and great skaters and nice to have them both

Reactions: stickty111

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
He is as good as he was to start in pre. Held back for no good reason. Clearly a better option than some of the junk on the team like Holl, Barrie and Ceci.
True, some posters are nitpicking a giveaway or two, but my god, he is so much better defensively than Holl, Barrie or Ceci, the "vets".
I love the gif posted above of him handling Tkachuk. Other than Muzzin, who on our defence corps would be likely to do that?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Having watched him in the AHL and now the NHL, I just dont think he has the intelligence to be more than a 5-6 guy. He has poor decision making...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad