Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Even with Bogo out, IMO he’s behind Sandin and Hutton, and arguable with Marincin (though I prefer Liljegren). He might get a game or two before the end of the regular season, but I think he’s our #9, would require 3 injuries for a firm spot. Hopefully that doesn’t happen.

He has certainly been improving, but isn’t an NHLer yet. IMO he struggled in his chance last year, I don’t think Keefe will be looking to depend on him this year unless he’s out of other options.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Even with Bogo out, IMO he’s behind Sandin and Hutton, and arguable with Marincin (though I prefer Liljegren). He might get a game or two before the end of the regular season, but I think he’s our #9, would require 3 injuries for a firm spot. Hopefully that doesn’t happen.

He has certainly been improving, but isn’t an NHLer yet. IMO he struggled in his chance last year, I don’t think Keefe will be looking to depend on him this year unless he’s out of other options.
So did Sandin. He is currently a better hockey player than all of them, especially Hutton and Marincin.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So did Sandin. He is currently a better hockey player than all of them, especially Hutton and Marincin.
That’s true, they both did. I think the reason Sandin gets the nod is because, growing pains or not, he has a “royal jelly” aspect to his game, elite properties already.

The fact Marincin is still here, is one of life’s mysteries. The guy literally passed waivers twice and nobody claimed him. That’s all you need to know.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Liljegren has definitely got the skills to dominate at the AHL level which is all he has control of. Of course, as with all prospects starting in the 'A' we'll have to see if he can do all those same things in a league that is a couple of steps quicker. Also he said he was too tentative and not himself in his first 2 tryouts (paraphrasing). He seems to be hard on himself and hopefully not to the extent that Jack Campbell is. Looks to me that he has the size and skills to be a very solid middle pairing shut down defenceman one day. My hope is that he and Dermott can handle that shut down role in a year or two. of course this depends on us somehow managing to keep Dermott through the expansion draft.

Reactions: stickty111

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
Love sandin just think lily may be more physically ready he's taken a few good hits worried he's going to get hurt glad we both of them

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Don’t understand the harm in giving him one game. He plays well, sweet! He doesn’t play well, oh well, send him down. Even worst case scenario he won’t be the reason we lose a hockey game.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO Sandin looked much better than Liljegren at the NHL level last year, just processes the game way faster. And clearly Keefe disagrees with you about Liljegren currently being better than Sandin, as Sandin is currently playing for the Leafs over Liljegren.

I also have Lily over Marincin, but not Hutton. Hutton is a solid 6-8D on most teams, while I think Liljegren is more of an 8-10D on most teams. He was 9th in games played for the Leafs last season, and this year 8D have played for the Leafs, while Lily hasn’t played yet, so clearly Leafs management see him as about a 9D at the moment.

Last edited:

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
IMO Sandin looked much better than Liljegren at the NHL level last year, just processes the game way faster. And clearly Keefe disagrees with you about Liljegren currently being better than Sandin, as Sandin is currently playing for the Leafs over Liljegren.

I also have Lily over Marincin, but not Hutton. Hutton is a solid 6-8D on most teams, while I think Liljegren is more of an 8-10D on most teams. He was 9th in games played for the Leafs last season, and this year 8D have played for the Leafs, while Lily hasn’t played yet, so clearly Leafs management see him as about a 9D at the moment.

Your issue here is that you are assuming Liljegren has not made progress in the past year and a half, when he has arguably made the biggest strides in his game in the AHL.

Just because Keefe isn’t playing him doesn’t mean he’s bad. Was it not Keefe that played Marincin over Sandin in the playoffs last year? Was it not Tavares that said he was most impressed with Liljegren out of everyone in training camp?

Really find it annoying that we still have people evaluating the player based on a 10 game stretch over a year ago when he was just 20 yrs old.

Reactions: cipher

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Liljegren is coming along. He'll be here soon enough. Remember when people were worried Kasperi Kapanen might never get an opportunity?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Your issue here is that you are assuming Liljegren has not made progress in the past year and a half, when he has arguably made the biggest strides in his game in the AHL.

Just because Keefe isn’t playing him doesn’t mean he’s bad. Was it not Keefe that played Marincin over Sandin in the playoffs last year? Was it not Tavares that said he was most impressed with Liljegren out of everyone in training camp?

Really find it annoying that we still have people evaluating the player based on a 10 game stretch over a year ago when he was just 20 yrs old.
I certainly haven’t given up on Lily, I think he’ll be an NHLer in the reasonably near future. I just don’t think he’s as good as Sandin, in terms of current level or upside, and I think he’s probably not currently quite as good as Hutton at the NHL level. Which is why I have him as our 9D right now. I think that’s a reasonable take.

Do you think there’s a strong argument for Lily currently being a better NHL option than Sandin or Hutton?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Liljegren’s situation is so weird to me. He’s obviously good enough to dominate the AHL. Both Dubas and Keene have mentioned giving him NHL time. But he hasn’t gotten any.

Our playoff spot is almost set it stone, why not try him and Sandin as a third pair for a game or two?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think Liljegren really needs to be slotted in the lineup, when less is at stake. He's got all the tools to be a very good NHL dman, he just needs time in the seat. His adjustments to new levels of competition take time. It's like he's a very cerebral guy, who takes a bit of time to process things, and then excels. You throw him in a game or two, here or there, it's just not going to work. He's not going to look great the first few games, so people need to understand that in advance. I'd wish for him to get as much time with the Marlies in now, and then just make him part of the lineup from the beginning next year. Make sure he has a physical, experienced vet, to partner with him, and mentor him. Others have mentioned Oleksiak, and I think that would be a solid idea.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Liljegren needs to get his feet wet before the playoffs start. There will be injuries. He needs some time to get acclimated to game situations. We're in a solid position to finish first overall, I'm guessing one or both of the games against Vancouver.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Isn’t the issue with Liljigren now tied to the impact of potential (although unreachable) bonus on the cap due to LTIR?

it would be nice if there’s a way to get him in before the playoffs. If not that makes him challenging as an injury replacement.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Liljegren needs to get his feet wet before the playoffs start. There will be injuries. He needs some time to get acclimated to game situations. We're in a solid position to finish first overall, I'm guessing one or both of the games against Vancouver.
He really should get a couple games for his development. He certainly won’t be some glaring liability, now that we’re just running our the schedule with this huge lead, I’ll view it as a head scratcher if he doesn’t slot in. Give Muzz a night off down the stretch.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He really should get a couple games for his development. He certainly won’t be some glaring liability, now that we’re just running our the schedule with this huge lead, I’ll view it as a head scratcher if he doesn’t slot in. Give Muzz a night off down the stretch.

Actually, I'd like to see him slot in with Muzz and give Holl a few games off. Regardless, it is a head scratcher.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren’s situation is so weird to me. He’s obviously good enough to dominate the AHL. Both Dubas and Keene have mentioned giving him NHL time. But he hasn’t gotten any.

Our playoff spot is almost set it stone, why not try him and Sandin as a third pair for a game or two?

Isn’t the issue with Liljigren now tied to the impact of potential (although unreachable) bonus on the cap due to LTIR?

it would be nice if there’s a way to get him in before the playoffs. If not that makes him challenging as an injury replacement.

Actually, I'd like to see him slot in with Muzz and give Holl a few games off. Regardless, it is a head scratcher.
Keefe said a couple days ago the cap has prevented Liljegren from getting games. It's the same issue Habs are having with Caufield and Canucks with Juloevi.

Here is the quote again. I caps locked the parts which are related to this topic.
Is there something Timothy Liljegren has shown you in practice that you really like?

Keefe:
Liljegren, to me, just looks like he is older and more confident — no different than Sandin, who hasn’t played much hockey at all over the last year and a half, and yet he comes in and looks confident and stronger. Just because he is such a young guy, when 18 months pass by, you see a big difference. Liljegren is very much the same.
I think Liljegren had that jump last season in my time with the Marlies. If you look back to the playoff run we had there two seasons ago and then last season, throughout that period of time, Liljegren — who is older than Sandin — had his jump. You saw a noticeable difference in his game physically, and how much stronger he was on the ice. When a period of time like that passes for a young player, it can make a big difference.
We like a lot about Timothy and his development.

His situation is not as clear given that we have some salary cap issues and things like that which, at different times, have made it hard to get him in and get him involved. That doesn’t necessarily say or mean we don’t believe in him as a player.

We will have to look at it and see if there an opportunity to get him involved down the stretch, but we are running out of games here. You have roster considerations
and you also have the fact that you are trying to make sure your group is ready to go when the playoffs begin. You have to manage all of these types of things.
Again, in practice today, Lily looks good and confident. You can tell he is maturing.

Reactions: meefer and Jeypic

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
If Liljegren is anything even close to what Sandin will likely be, these kids could be the horses on our blueline for years. They also compliment each other well..

Moore doing a great job with Lilly his other grads are now making their mark with Leafs :thumbu:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Liljigren will be a Leaf for a long time yet. Nothing to indicate the leafs are anything but protecting a asset and development is kind of screwed up by a number of factors we are all well aware of in the Virus complications and the expansion draft inconvenience.

Liljigren will get loads of playing time starting next year. If we don’t lose Dermott in expansion we will have Liljigren,Sandin and Dermott all under 24 to start the season. I’m not so sure the team will expose Dermott if he has just a solid playoffs. If he has a excellent playoffs it’s guaranteed they will protect him. They aren’t going to be able to justify protecting a 5 years older Holl over Dermott to me personally.

Not to worried about Liljigren getting games this season but I wouldn’t mind seeing him getting in to rest our right side guys a game here there in the next couple weeks. Including Brodie getting a rest. Not sure he needs it.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
This organization hasn't done much "having a look at a player" this season, it's been mostly promotions due to injury. I think it could also be about not disrupting what they have this close to playoffs.

I don't get the harm in giving the kid a game just to have a look so his first game isn't mid playoffs as an injury call-up.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
This organization hasn't done much "having a look at a player" this season, it's been mostly promotions due to injury. I think it could also be about not disrupting what they have this close to playoffs.

I don't get the harm in giving the kid a game just to have a look so his first game isn't mid playoffs as an injury call-up.

I could be wrong but at least for the first half of the season didn’t they have issues because they were up against the cap. They couldn’t make any line up changes due to that besides moving Lehhtonen and Barabanov?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If Liljegren is anything even close to what Sandin will likely be, these kids could be the horses on our blueline for years. They also compliment each other well..
I really want both in the lineup full time next year.

Liked the Dermott-Bogosian pairing but give them 60 games before the trade deadline with a top 4 of Rielly/Brodie/Muzzin/Holl to support them and I think they'll be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad