Proposal: Timo Meier for William Nylander

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Meier has a poison pill of a contract incoming. So while I think in terms of on ice product the Leafs would improve, it'd be a poor decision for the salary cap

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
You called him soft , passive, one dimensional and poor defensively . Doesnt seem too friendly. And you doubled down w a strawman power forward argument. Leafs don't do this even Qo aside. There is a very clear talent disparity in addition to having contractual assurance w Nylander.
Blah blah blah...

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
You called him soft , passive, one dimensional and poor defensively . Doesnt seem too friendly. And you doubled down w a strawman power forward argument. Leafs don't do this even Qo aside. There is a very clear talent disparity in addition to having contractual assurance w Nylander.
No I answered the Q with a question of whether or not Nylander would be a fit in SJ. I was taking a shot at Doug Wilson and his seemingly preferred type of player.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Doug Wilson slams down his mobile while laughing maniacally and calling all his friends to rally support for blackballing Dubas. And then he adds Dubas to his blocked list on all of his apps. While laughing maniacally.

And then he maniacally pours a cup of coffee?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Is the QO only one year? In his best interest to negotiate a 5-7 year deal at $7shmil no? Guess depends on his play but hockey players are more likely taking the sure thing then risk playing under a short term deal (as a general rule).

Yes

The way it works is that the team two options, though one branches outwards really

They can qualify the player at his rate, in this case $10M for one season, or pass on it and player becomes a free agent. If they qualify him they can negotiate a long term deal, but at that point the player has all the leverage

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Yes

The way it works is that the team two options, though one branches outwards really

They can qualify the player at his rate, in this case $10M for one season, or pass on it and player becomes a free agent. If they qualify him they can negotiate a long term deal, but at that point the player has all the leverage

He can also accept the QO and become UFA 1 year after that. Dream scenario for Meier.

Reactions: DarthProbert

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He can also accept the QO and become UFA 1 year after that. Dream scenario for Meier.
yeah thats why i dont like it. if he had regular RFA status i would probably do this. but the fact we would have to pay him $10 million and worry about him walking the year after causes me to lose interest in him. just a very strange contract structure.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Leafs would do well with a presence like Timo. Physical and plays hard every shift while being able to score 25-30 goals. Would add a lot of sandpaper to the roster.

Sharks on the other hand desperately need a playmaking forward as they have none on the roster. William could be that player for them.
Seems fair. Toronto gets a little more physical. San Jose gets a little more scoring. Both guys are quite skilled.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Didn't they change the CBA to stop those backloaded deals leading to massive qualifying offers?

Edit: I think it only applies to contracts signed after july 10, 2020 so Meier's QO will be 10 million
How does Doug Wilson paint himself into a corner like that .

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
pass

Nylander is a better player and doesnt Meier have a $10 million qualifying offer coming up? cant wait for people to flame us for a 4th $10+ million player

Doug Wilson slams down his mobile while laughing maniacally and calling all his friends to rally support for blackballing Dubas. And then he adds Dubas to his blocked list on all of his apps. While laughing maniacally.

Really? Wilson is the one who laughs and hangs up? The one being offered the player who's top line and still improving, while giving up a player who's declining at the same age? Wilson laughs at the prospect of unloading someone on pace for 12 goals, whose points have declined 2 years now at age 24, who's due a $10 million QO when his deal is up? For someone who immediately be the best player on the team?

If the Sharks are run like their fans on here want them to be run, they're going to be a last place team for a long, long, long time.

Reactions: zeke

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
This seems to me like a trade that would be made if both players wanted out or needed a shake up or their GMs decided their team needs a shakeup. I can't speak for how San Jose is right now but I can speak for the Leafs and say if we need a shakeup it is not Willy who needs it. It would be another goalie for Anderson if anything

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This seems to me like a trade that would be made if both players wanted out or needed a shake up or their GMs decided their team needs a shakeup. I can't speak for how San Jose is right now but I can speak for the Leafs and say if we need a shakeup it is not Willy who needs it. It would be another goalie for Anderson if anything
I’ll give you Jones for Andersen. Hell I’ll even throw in Dubnyk for Dell!

Mar 26, 2010
pass

Nylander is a better player and doesnt Meier have a $10 million qualifying offer coming up? cant wait for people to flame us for a 4th $10+ million player
Yeah, I am not wanting to trade Willy at this point. He is on a great contract at that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Seeing the wide range of reactions to this deal, I have to imagine that this is actually a fair offer lol

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The more I watch both teams, the more this makes too much sense.

Who here has the clout to get DW and Dubas on the phone?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leafs pass due to a bad contract? :huh:

Nylander deal is front loaded and longer before reaching UFA status. Meir QO is awful due to being back-ended at $10M.

Players are comparable and would be a fair deal without the contract discrepancies.

Sharks99

Feb 6, 2014
Leafs pass due to a bad contract? :huh:

Nylander deal is front loaded and longer before reaching UFA status. Meir QO is awful due to being back-ended at $10M.

Players are comparable and would be a fair deal without the contract discrepancies.

How about Meier for Nylander. Sharks throw in Jones at 50% and Vlasic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad