Proposal: Timo Meier for William Nylander

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Leafs would do well with a presence like Timo. Physical and plays hard every shift while being able to score 25-30 goals. Would add a lot of sandpaper to the roster.

Sharks on the other hand desperately need a playmaking forward as they have none on the roster. William could be that player for them.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
pass

Nylander is a better player and doesnt Meier have a $10 million qualifying offer coming up? cant wait for people to flame us for a 4th $10+ million player

While you can argue that Nylander is a better player its not like they are apart. They are both the same age and have been producing at a similar pace for the last 3 years. Then you consider the Leafs strengths and weaknesses, and an argument can be made that Timo would make them more well rounded and harder to play against.

As for the QO, it's not like he's gonna get 10 million. Probably around 7 million. And even if they don't decide to sign him, the cap space made available will be valuable.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
While you can argue that Nylander is a better player its not like they are apart. They are both the same age and have been producing at a similar pace for the last 3 years. Then you consider the Leafs strengths and weaknesses, and an argument can be made that Timo would make them more well rounded and harder to play against.
yeah its pretty close. but its close enough to not bother making the deal. same from SJ's side. we know Nylander is great here and is a proven core piece. making a lateral move just seems a little pointless, especially since Meier is the same position.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Doug Wilson slams down his mobile while laughing maniacally and calling all his friends to rally support for blackballing Dubas. And then he adds Dubas to his blocked list on all of his apps. While laughing maniacally.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
pass

Nylander is a better player and doesnt Meier have a $10 million qualifying offer coming up? cant wait for people to flame us for a 4th $10+ million player

Didn't they change the CBA to stop those backloaded deals leading to massive qualifying offers?

Edit: I think it only applies to contracts signed after july 10, 2020 so Meier's QO will be 10 million

Last edited:
Reactions: BStinson

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Didn't they change the CBA to stop those backloaded deals leading to massive qualifying offers?
im actually not sure. i just remember hearing a lot about it when he signed the deal.

if so, that would be added value is Meier's favor. He is an RFA and Nylander is a UFA

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He means QO on how the salary is structured. I think he gets like 10000000 in base salary in his last year.
Holy Crap that’s actually true and it really tanks his trade value. I don’t even understand the point of doing that if I’m the Sharks.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
im actually not sure. i just remember hearing a lot about it when he signed the deal.

if so, that would be added value is Meier's favor. He is an RFA and Nylander is a UFA

I think it only applies to contracts signed after July 10, 2020, so Meier's qualifying offer will be 10 million

Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

• The qualifying offer is calculated from the players base salary (NHL salary minus signing bonus), and at minimum must meet the seasons minimum salary requirements:
    • 110% of the base salary if the base salary is less than or equal to $660,000
    • 105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000.
    • 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.
    • CBA Reference 10.2 (a) (ii)
  • For players who are on expiring contracts that were signed after July 10, 2020:
    • The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)
    • Reference: 2020 NHL CBA extension Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Its fair ish, coming from a fan of all teams, but would Nylander even fit in the Sharks system?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think it only applies to contracts signed after July 10, 2020, so Meier's qualifying offer will be 10 million

Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
see thats a problem for a team like Toronto, it means he would have all the leverage in a contract negotiation. We can't afford 10 mil and he knows it. We couldn't even qualify him. So in trying to get him to sign a long term deal in the 6's is going to be hard when he knows if he takes the qo we have to move assets. He can come back with 8 take it or leave it and our options are 8 or 10 both of which hurt us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad